“You get what you pay for!”

Saxman Native Village
Book In Advance
More Info
US$700.00*
and up
Private Tour on 14 Passenger Shuttle Bus in Ketchikan Alaska
Ranked #20 of 60 things to do in Ketchikan
More attraction details
Owner description: This unique park's 24 totem poles each tell a different story.
Reviewed 17 October 2013

I read some of the less stellar reviews and they all had one thing in common. They tried to do it on their own. Pay for the tour and you will not be disappointed. Check out the reviews of those who did.

We booked through NCL. I wish I could tell you our tour operator. Our driver is a man who moved from Seattle and married a Tlingit lady. He was incredibly insightful. So much so, there was a documentary film being shot during our tour. He tried to teach us some Tlingit words before we took our tour. The tour began in the auditorium. It explained that this project is trying to recapture the language and art of the Tlingit. After a brief history we were led to the lodge house. We were entertained by a dance troupe that aged 6 to 60. At the end, volunteers were taught to dance and allowed on stage. We were then led to the carving center for a "private tour". before we were turned lose to shoot photos. All the while, our tour guide was available for questions. I asked about the red boy at the bottom of one totem. He explained the Oyster Boy story on the bus so all could hear the story. I would like to say GunalchÈesh Ho Ho for a wonderful tour.

5  Thank Slyclone
There are newer reviews for Saxman Native Village

Reviewed 2 October 2013

You can get to the Village by bus. However, I found it overrun by tourists from the cruise ships so that it was impossible to take pictures of the totems. Also it is not possible for independent tourists to visit the Shake House, only organized tours were allowed in the day I was there.

4  Thank Lorraine2010
Reviewed 29 September 2013

There are several tour companies that will take you through Saxman Village ...they each have different agendas as to what to see...We chose sourdough tours..I feel you can do just as good on your own...you can tour the totem carving building or go around the building and get close to the carver through the windows ..the tour guide spent all the time talking ..so we left and went all through the totem area on our own,the guide never brought the group through...Next we wanted to visit the totem shop..We were told not to go in "It's not native" then going down totem street we tried to stop,look,and take pictures.though we had to run ..because the group was getting on the bus ...there's so many totems to look at, ..children will also enjoy the totems...

3  Thank Bigbillsbiker
Reviewed 29 September 2013

During our Alaskan cruise we had the opportunity to visit the Saxman Villiage to see how totem poles are made and to learn about them..very informative..and well worth it..Ya and I did joint in onr of their native dances

2  Thank Peter W
Reviewed 27 September 2013

This is a great tour. You learn a lot of native history and get to see a pole being created. The people are very friendly and willing to answer questions

1  Thank Eve B