“Enjoyed every minute”

and up
Private Tour on 14 Passenger Shuttle Bus in Ketchikan Alaska
Ranked #20 of 56 things to do in Ketchikan
More attraction details
Owner description: This unique park's 24 totem poles each tell a different story.
Saint Cloud, Florida
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Enjoyed every minute”
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

An amazing show! Because there was a family relationship there I was doubly interested. They even had the children involved in the dances!! Loved that they were wearing their families capes and explained the significance of the style and colors! A+++

Visited August 2013
2 Thank Pleasantme

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 105 helpful votes
“Peaceful and awesome!”
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Our ship docked very early, so we walked around Ketchikan a bit then took the $2 public bus to Saxman. Absolutely NO ONE was there, so we were able to walk all over and take photos of every totem pole. It was so quiet, almost reverent. Granted, we didn't get into the clan house, but I did research and watched some videos of the dancing online and honestly it didn't look like we would be missing much: looked like they were just swaying from one foot to the other and beating on some drums. It would have been cool to see the native American dress, but it certainly saved us from the cruise ship crowd as well as money better spent on other things. We waited (not long) for the bus back in plenty of time to check out Creek St. and shop. Would definitely recommend!

Visited May 2013
14 Thank Deb325
Cork, Ireland
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Worst tour ive ever done!!”
Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

This was simply the worst tour ive ever done in my life. I dont normally write reviews, but this was so bad I felt I had to warn people. Its way over priced for way you get too. Avoid!!

5 Thank Irishworldtraveler44
Bella Vista, Arkansas
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 181 helpful votes
“You get what you pay for!”
Reviewed 17 October 2013

I read some of the less stellar reviews and they all had one thing in common. They tried to do it on their own. Pay for the tour and you will not be disappointed. Check out the reviews of those who did.

We booked through NCL. I wish I could tell you our tour operator. Our driver is a man who moved from Seattle and married a Tlingit lady. He was incredibly insightful. So much so, there was a documentary film being shot during our tour. He tried to teach us some Tlingit words before we took our tour. The tour began in the auditorium. It explained that this project is trying to recapture the language and art of the Tlingit. After a brief history we were led to the lodge house. We were entertained by a dance troupe that aged 6 to 60. At the end, volunteers were taught to dance and allowed on stage. We were then led to the carving center for a "private tour". before we were turned lose to shoot photos. All the while, our tour guide was available for questions. I asked about the red boy at the bottom of one totem. He explained the Oyster Boy story on the bus so all could hear the story. I would like to say GunalchÈesh Ho Ho for a wonderful tour.

Visited September 2013
5 Thank Slyclone
Annecy, France
60 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“A disappointment”
Reviewed 2 October 2013

You can get to the Village by bus. However, I found it overrun by tourists from the cruise ships so that it was impossible to take pictures of the totems. Also it is not possible for independent tourists to visit the Shake House, only organized tours were allowed in the day I was there.

Visited September 2013