“Great location but choose your room carefully”
Review of The Landing Hotel

The Landing Hotel
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Ketchikan
San Antonio, Texas
“Great location but choose your room carefully”
Reviewed 25 October 2011

I have been staying at the Landing for many years. It is a very comfortable-feeling property with two on site restaurants and easy access to the Alaska Marine Highway ferries (just across the street). The hotel has been there for many years and is built in basically three sections. The original, older section has very narrow hallways, low ceilings and so-so rooms. The newer section in the back has larger rooms, some suites and is very quiet. The newest section has nicely appointed rooms that are large and comfortable. The nicest rooms, with king beds and fireplaces, are unfortunately facing the street with plenty of street noise, reducing their comfort.

Jeremiahs Pub serves great food and libations. The halibut fish and chips are particularly good, though pricey. Annabelle's serves a hearty, Alaska-sized breakfast and is open all day.

The Landing provides consistent, helpful service, comfortable clean rooms and is my choice whenever I stay in Ketchikan.

Room Tip: Book early and request a room in the newer section in the back OR the new north building. If you ca...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Lover_of_Oxford
akhotel, Hotel M.O.D. at The Landing Hotel, responded to this review, 14 December 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review our property on Trip advisor. We truly appreciate your recognition of our wonderful staff; they are a valuable asset to our company. We are so glad to hear that you found the North Court Building and the East Wing hotel rooms quite comfortable for you during your visit. We’re sorry to hear that the street noise made the stay in the King Suite uncomfortable for you. While the original Main Wing of our hotel does have narrow hallways and lower ceilings, the rooms are available with the same amenities and the same comfortable beds. With 107 rooms on property we believe that we have the perfect room for each and every guest. On your next visit to The BEST WESTERN PLUS Landing please feel free to specify the wing you prefer to stay in. We strive to make sure each and every guest has a satisfying experience. We would also like to thank you for the great comment on our Fish and Chips. Thank you for choosing the BEST WESTERN PLUS Landing hotel and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Ketchikan.

Patricia Krantz
Hotel - Manager on Duty

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Tahiti, French Polynesia
Reviewed 8 October 2011

After bringing a problem to her attention, Linda Peters a G.M., not only made me feel uncomfortable but really made the entire situation worse. I do NOT recemmend to stay or eat at this location. I am keeping this anonymous, because of fear that she might retaliate.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Celestino G
akhotel, General Manager at The Landing Hotel, responded to this review, 18 October 2011
I have given much thought to my response to the gentleman who has accused me of being unprofessional. I have been in management for 30 some years and have never had anyone describe me in such a way. I believe the gentleman was upset that he had to wait for me to respond to his complaint because I was busy at the time assisting another guest in the hotel and told my staff that I would be with him as soon as I was finished with the other guest. Ido admit that I may have approached him with the incorrect verbage when I asked him "what is your problem". His response was "Don't you mean what is THE problem, I guess it is communication". After that he refused to discuss the problem with me and to this day I do not know what occurred in our restaurant to upset him. He also wanted the headquarters of our establishment which I proceeded to give him as well as the names of the owners and the address of our establishment. As to this date, the owners have not receive any correspondence from him. We really do want to make any situation better in any way we can and we do not retaliate back. The owners and I still wish that he would contact us with the information concerning the issue/s that caused this review. Without knowing there is no way that we can correct it. I asked all the staff on duty and the server that waited on him that morning and they also could not give me any information concerning his service and what he wished to discuss with me before he decided that he would not speak with me. So, if the gentleman reads this response to his review; I encourage him to send his complaints to the owners so we may correct the problem so it does not occurr again in the future with any other customers.
Reviewed 24 September 2011

This is a very nice hotel, maybe a little pricey. It was the end of the tourist season

• Stayed September 2011
akhotel, General Manager at The Landing Hotel, responded to this review, 28 September 2011
We are happy to hear you had an awesome stay with us. We were disappointed to hear you felt we were a little too pricey for your accommodations. We do offer some discounted rates when it is close to the end of the season; so is often worthwill to contact management to see if that is possible. Thank you again for taking the time to review our property on Tripadvisor. We hope to see you in Ketchikan again in the future.
Alberta
Reviewed 20 September 2011

Ask for a room in the north (new) complex - much larger than those in the main hotel. Totally comfortable beds. Easy pleasant walk to downtown. Grocery & liquor store 1 block away. Great front desk staff - most accommodating. Food is average for a chain hotel. Manager/owner is a most gracious host. Would stay there again in a heart-beat!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rick i
akhotel, General Manager at The Landing Hotel, responded to this review, 22 September 2011
We would like to thank you for taking the time to review our property on Trip Advisor. We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and would plan to stay with us again if in Ketchikan. Thank you for recognizing our front desk staff as accommodating. We feel very fortunate to have a great staff at our property. We sincerly hope we will see you back in Ketchikan soon.
Phoenix
Reviewed 19 September 2011

I was born and raised in Ketchikan - but it had been years since I had been there. This was the perfect location- across the street from the ferry terminal that services the airport, as well as from the Alaska Marine Highway system.

We had a delux king room, overlooking Tongass Narrows. The room was nice size for us- had a refrigerator (allowing our toddler a good supply of milk). When we called room service for milk and wine- they were fast, friendly, and didn't scalp us with the price.

If going to Ketchikan- this is a place to rest, relax, and have room. It is a few miles from downtown- and that can be a plus!

Room Tip: Ask for an executive King Room
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
We are happy to hear you enjoyed your return visit to Ketchikan. Thank you for review your stay on Trip Advisor. We like to hear that our staff was fast and efficient for your room service. We love to see that families come to our facility and relax. Our property is very family oriented. Please come back for a visit to Ketchikan again soon.
Maitland, Florida
Reviewed 11 September 2011

We spent two nights at the Landing on September 9th and 10th. We arrived off the ferry late and checked in to find that they had us in a handicap room although we had made the reservation in the Spring and certainly had not requested a handicap room. The room was extremely hot and apparently had not been aired in some time. The clerk did not tell us he had put us in a handicap room and after spending time walking a mile from the designated parking, i did not feel like changing. But I should have. The sheets are like plastic and i don't know if this is per handicap or not, but it matter not as the room as not tended to the next day although we had vacated by 11AM and did not return until after 7PM. As we checked out early the next morning, i attempted to get a cup of coffee from the lobby and was advised that i should wait until the restaurant opened. Noticing my body language, the clerk retrieved a cup of coffee from the "back". Supposedly this property is a Best Western plus and the decor would indicate they are trying, but the operations need some serious attention. For anyone staying there be prepared to manage your services.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Edward W
akhotel, General Manager at The Landing Hotel, responded to this review, 15 September 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review our property on Tripadvisor. We were very upset that you did not have a pleasant stay with us. I am unsure why you were placed into a handicap room, unless it was the last room we had available to rent that day when you arrived. We do have waterproof mattress pads on all our beds in the hotel not just the handicap rooms; but they are of the quality of normal mattress pads with a thin pastic lining on the bottom closest to the mattress. They should not feel like sleeping on plastic. I have spoken with the housekeeping Dept. concerning your comments and asked them to make sure the mattress pad was not damaged or defective in some way to cause you to feel this way. I also am not sure why you did not recieve housekeeping services during your stay. We would certainly have accommodate the error immediately if we had known there was a problem. We do pride ourselves in being a Best Western Plus hotel and our AAA rating is very important to us. We stride to provide a superior customer service and are very disappointed when we do not succeed in doing so. We do have coffee pots with coffee and tea available in the rooms, but our staff is always happy to accommodate our guests in every way possible even when the restaurant is not open.
We would love to hear further from you so we may make things right with your recent stay. Please contact me.
Grapevine, Texas USA
Reviewed 8 September 2011

We had a great time at the Landing Hotel in Ketchikan. The Executive Suite had a balcony overlooking float planes, cruise ships and the ferry system. Food was good at both the restaurant and pub. The van drivers took you anywhere you wanted to go and pick you up. Had a little trouble with getting the room cleaned but nothing we couldn't handle. Would highly recommend the hotel. Everyone was friendly and helpful with our questions.

Room Tip: Executive suites have the best views but probably are the noisest.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review our property on Tripadvisor. We are happy to hear you enjoyed the Executive King Suite. They are my favorite rooms in the hotel as well. We are also happy to hear you enjoyed the drivers and they were helpful to you. We are disappointed to hear you had difficulties getting your room cleaned. I will definetly check into this further. We were running a full hotel during your stay and they may have been running later in the day with the stay overs and concentrating on the check out rooms to have them ready as soon as possible for the new check in arrivals.
We sincerely hope you will make another visit to Ketchikan in the near future and give us an opportunity to service your hospitality needs.
Best Regards,