“very nice place,but expensive”
Review of The Landing Hotel

The Landing Hotel
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Ketchikan
Reviewed 1 July 2013

staff was very nice and helpful,more ammenities here than a different hotel we stayed at and the prices were the same.2 restaurants and bar on site. location very convenient. early check in not a problem and free shuttle very prompt

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
akhotel, General Manager at The Landing Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2013

Dear Idapaul:
Thank you for your comments concerning our property. We are happy to hear you had a pleasant stay with us and our amenities exceeded those of other properties for the same price. We also like to hear that our staff was friendly and the drivers were prompt to get you where you needed to go. They are very busy guys trying to accommodate all the guests in the hotel. We are also thankful that our staff at the front desk made an effort to get you checked into the hotel early upon your arrival.
We hope you enjoyed your visit of Ketchikan and will return to spend some more time with us here in Ketchikan.
Thank you for taking the time to do the review of our property.

Reviewed 27 June 2013

I stayed here for 2 weeks, and during that time, I had bugs in my room, the house keeping was horrible, I had to go get my own towels and make my own bed and empty my own garbage!!! Worse place ever! Way too expensive for having to turn your own bed down and get your own towels! I did have the card hanging on my door to clean and give me towels!!! I moved to another hotel, the cape fox!! That was the Best experience!

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Travelerfro
akhotel, General Manager at The Landing Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2013

Dear Travelerfro:
I do apologize if you received this kind of service at our establishment. If our guests are treated in such a manner we are appalled. The only time we do not service a room is if there is a Do Not Disturb sign on the door. If there is a sign on the door or if a room is inadvertently missed and our housekeeping staff have left for the day, either myself or my Asst. Manager will always go in and take care of the room ourselves.
You mentioned bugs, and we have never had an incident with bugs. We may this time of year have an occassional ant that sneaks into the rooms, but we immediately take care of the situation and move our guests to another room so we can rid the room of them.
We would greatly appreciate it if you would contact us at the property so we can do something to make this right with you. We do not want you to feel that you paid for something that you did not receive. I would also like to find out who was responsible to service your room and find out why you do not receive our required housekeeping services.
I look forward to hearing back from you. You may contact me at our toll free # 800-426-8304.

Reviewed 27 June 2013

I have stayed at this hotel on business many times and I have stayed there on extended stays.
Rooms are always good. Staff is mostly friendly. The shuttle is very convenient. Having the onsite bar and restaurant is a huge plus as far as I am concerned. It is very convenient to state of Alaska ferries and the airport ferry. There is also a grocery store close by. I would stay here again and would recommend this hotel to anyone. My one complaint is the cost of the room. I realize that they need to make money, but I stay in this hotel in the winter time when there are few travelers. I would like to see some better rates for frequent Alaska guests. I would like to add that I do love the fact that there are two separate restaurants, 1 being the bar/restaurant up top, and then the family restaurant on the first floor. I always enjoy eating in either restaurant.

Room Tip: Every room I have Had is nice no complaints
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
akhotel, General Manager at The Landing Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2013

Dear thebigtiny:
Thank you for your great review of our property . We appreciate your continued patronage of our property. Both our restaurants have been a popular gathering place for our locals for many years. Many of our staff have been with us for up to 25 years and we appreciate the great service they provide to our guests.
We do have an Alaskan resident rate and hopefully you are asking for that when you stay with us to take advantage of the discount we offer.
We look forward to seeing you again in the very near future.

Reviewed 24 June 2013

After a long 10 day trip SCUBA diving 3 times a day from Juneau to Ketchikan on the Nautilus Swell it was nice to have a clean hotel room to stay in before my flight home. The front desk staff was very helpful and let us check in early due to rooms availability. It was so great to have a place to relax. The shuttle service was also a great plus. The drivers were very friendly and available for a quick trip downtown and to the airport ferry terminal.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Dear Paula K:
Thank you for your comments about our clean rooms and our helpful front desk personnel. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are happy to hear you made use of our complimentary shuttle service .
Your diving trip sounds like a great way to see the wonders of Alaska. Thanks for visiting Alaska and Ketchikan.
We hope you will make another trip up this way and give us another oppotunity to give you a superior experience at the Landing.

Reviewed 21 June 2013

My two night stay at the Best Western was very comfortable and clean. The way this property is laid out is pretty goofy if you are staying at the back, but the front desk gave clear instructions on how to get to the room. Making use of different entrances and stairs will get you to your room easier. My room did open to the outside, but it did not appear that all rooms did. I actually liked that my room had windows at the front of the room and back for that Alaska air circulation. There are a couple food choices onsite. My co-workers and I had breakfast one day - good food with good service!

This hotel was closest to the airport ferry, but it is not located downtown near the shops/Creek street/other restaurants. Ketchikan is a very small town so a bicycle could get you to the shops very quickly and under 3 minutes in a car. The hotel offers a shuttle, but I understood it only took you to Wal-Mart which is a couple miles down the road (away from downtown).

Very good hiking closeby - any local can point you in the right direction! When in Ketchikan, try the crab and the oysters; you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business

Dear Explorer_Gene:
Thank you for doing a review of our property on TripAdvisor. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We also enjoyed your comments about our clean rooms and our great staff in the restaurant. We take great pride and are very serious about the cleanliness and the friendliness of our staff.
I did what to clarify the misunderstanding that you had about the availability of our shuttle service. We are available to take you anywhere within the city limits including Wal Mart. The only difference is that we have a schedule for Wal Mart runs due to the fact that they are at the very end of the city limits to the North. But we are happy to take anyone any where downtown at their convenience and at the availablity of our van drivers from 6AM to 9:30 PM daily.
You are correct in your recommendation for the crab and oysters. Although we do not have them on our menus; there are some other places in town that we can recommend to our guests to enjoy those Alaskan treats.
Thank you for your comments. We hope you will have another opportunity to visit Ketchikan and give us a chance to service your hospitality needs in the future.

Reviewed 21 June 2013

I stayed there for one night this summer, I paid almost $200.00 plus tax for a very basic hotel, the elevator to get to my room which was on the second floor, was two sets of narrow steps and a long hallway away... it was very difficult with bags and no one there to help. The staff was somewhat rude for Alaska standards, I mean I was coming in from Juneau where everybody is so nice I was kind of shocked at the almost New York attitude...rooms have no AC, so it may feel hot on summer days, despite what I have said it may still be a good option in Ketchikan as there are very few options here. Positive things, it is right across the street from the Alaska Marine Highway Terminal and from the airport Terminal and free shuttle to and from downtown...

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Dear Francisco C:
We apologize that you did not receive or were not offered any help with your bags to your room. We agree that it is difficult to get from the older main building to the newer section of the hotel. Please be assured that we will direct your comments about your experience with the front desk staff. There is always someone around that can assist with your bags.
Unfortunately, there are no hotels in Ketchikan that offer Air Conditioning; as we seldom need it. We do offer fans in our rooms to help with the occasional heat. We apologize if your room did not have one for your use.
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the location of our property and the shuttle service that we offer within the city limits.
We sincerely hope that you will give us another opportunity when you are in Ketchikan to provide you with a superior stay with us. Please request one of our newer rooms in the North Court building that may offer you easier access by elevator to your room.
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on Tripadvisor. We do appreciate your comments. Again, please accept our apologies for not meeting your expectations.

Reviewed 18 June 2013

Ketchikan Alaska is a working man's town and a bit "rough around the edges". But the Landing always comes through with first class lodging and a great restaurant to boot! Whether you are flying in or coming to town by ferry, the Landing is close by (they have a shuttle but it's within walking distance).

Rooms are clean and spacious, good internet and cable tv. The restaurant food is good quality and the portion sizes are a good value! There is a bar on site, so no need to wander off. If the outside looks of the facility gives you pause, don't hesitate, you will be pleased by the care and comfort inside!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank AKTraveler2012
akhotel, General Manager at The Landing Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2013

Dear AKtraveler2012
Thank you for taking the time to do a review of our property on this site. We appreciate your comments concerning the location of our property and the shuttle which we offer to all our guests for anywhere within the city limits and out to the local WalMart for shopping. Both of our restaurants offer great menu selections and a gorgeous view of the Tongass Narrows and the mountains in the distance. We hope you enjoyed your visit to Ketchikan and your stay with us.
Please come back and see us again in the near future.
Again thank you for your time and review.
Sincerely, Linda Peters, G.M.