“Great fish and chips and chowder.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Alaskan Surf Halibut & Chips - CLOSED

Alaskan Surf Halibut & Chips
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Description: Alaskan Surf fans, bad news good news. Bad news we will not be on the cruise ship dock this year. We finally out grew it. Good news is the number #1 destination food choice is relocating to the inside of Bar Harbor Restaurant. there we will have an extended menu adding such things as crab,fish tacos and grilled fish. We will also be serving beer and wine. easily reach by walking,at Berth 4 by the cruise ships. looking forward to seeing my friends this year.
Connecticut
“Great fish and chips and chowder.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2011

When our ship stopped at Ketchikan eating at the Alaskan Surf was on our to do list, based on the reviews we read. We were not disappointed. The fish and chips were tasty, not heavy (we even received an extra piece because we mentioned TripAdvisor). I LOVE New England clam chowder and there's was great. We had a sunny, warm day and sat on the dockside picnic table enjoying our food. NOTE: This is a small structure with take-out only. It is located on the dock. When you get off the ships it will be towards the right almost across the street from the "Welcome to Ketchikan" sign on Front Street.

• Visited July 2011
4 Thank W-Hartford_CT

West Palm Beach, Florida
“An absolute MUST DO while in Ketchikan!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2011

I'm a sucker for good fish & chips... I'm an even bigger sucker for good clam chowder... so when I heard about Alaskan Surf being "the best" by the locals, I knew I had to try it. They are in this little shack right on the cruise dock, literally steps away from the gang plank of our ship, and they're making some of the best food I've ever eaten, anywhere! The fish & chips were beer battered so lightly that the halibut was the star of the show... fantastic! I read another reviewer say that the fries were a letdown... NOT SO! They were crisy and wonderful, not greasy at all. For me, though, the clam chowder could have been the only thing on the menu. I had a small cup of it with my fish & chips, and I was SO full afterward, but that didn't stop me from going back and buying TWO LARGE ORDERS of the chowder to take back on the boat with me. Trust me, their chowder was the best I've ever had, bar none. The prices were very, very reasonable, especially after seeing the crazy prices some of the other restaurants were charging. Honestly, though, I would have paid twice as much for that meal, it was just amazing.

When in Ketchikan, they are a must do, above all else. Take a break from the cruise food and enjoy the freshest most amazing meal of your trip. As another reviewer noted... we had gorgeous sunny weather while we enjoyed our meal on the picnic tables... but even if it's pouring rain, stop long enough to grab a bag full of yummy goodness to take back on the ship with you.

• Visited July 2011
7 Thank Snowball1220
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Fast-food that isn't fast, but it's worth the wait!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

My husband and I ate at Alaskan Surf based on the recommendations on TripAdvisor and other sites. We shared the halibut (fish & chips) and also the coconut shrimp, and both were excellent. I meant to take pictures of the food, but after waiting about 20 minutes (we got in line around 12:30pm on a Sunday) we were too hungry to wait! When it comes down to it, it's just fried food in a paper tray, but somehow it's quite amazing. Our meals were made-to-order so the food was very hot, it seemed fresh, and nothing was greasy. We would definitely eat there again!

• Visited June 2011
2 Thank sesmarks
sparks nv
“best fish and chips”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2011

This tiny hut on the dock, had the best fish and chips. On our way back to the ship, I had to try there fish and chips, just INCREDIBLE. Thanks for a great meal ALASKAN SURF.

• Visited June 2011
Chicago, IL
“Good place for a bite...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2011

The little food shack is located right on the dock. We ordered a large clam chowder (which was the highlight of the meal) and halibut and chips. The halibut was fine but the fries were lack luster. Check out the pics to see prices and the food we ordered. I would recommend giving it a try, just don't order extra fries - save the calories and room in your belly for ice cream or fudge...

2 Thank CruzDoggie