“Excellent service, excellent tour”
Review of SeaWind Aviation

Flightseeing and Crab Feast
US$330.00*
Misty Fjords Flight and Crab Fest
More attraction details
Owner description: SeaWind Aviation is located at 1809 Tongass Ave, Ketchikan, Ak 99901. Our dock office is located behind OceanView Restaurant, and can be accessed by the E.C. Phillips parking lot.
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Took the Misty Fjords tour on Aug 1, 2014. First, the reservation information/communication was excellent. They were very informative and up front with fees and options when I booked through email/phone.
The flight itself was amazing. Everyone had a voice-activated headset (through other reviews, I've read not everyone does). You could talk to each other and the pilot pretty easily. The pilot's narration was excellent. We sat down in a pretty large lake and could get out and stretch our legs on a small rock island - perfect photo-op.
On the way back we flew around some mountain goats making some tight-ish turns - that was the only time I felt the smallness of the plane. Other than that it was surprisingly smooth.
Tip: The early morning flights are less bumpy because the thermals in the mountains haven't started yet. Also, the plane has no air-conditioning, so it can get a little stuffy if it's a really hot day (our day was amazingly sunny)

Reviewed 25 July 2014

This is a fantastic way to see the immensity of the Misty Fjords area. There is no way a land-based trip can give you the scope of the area that a small plane can, and SeaWind was a perfect company for my small family of three to go with to see the scenery. From pick-up to return, the entire process is very professional and friendly, with a true family feel to the experience. There were five people in our little sea plane, not counting the pilot, and we all had great views as all seats are alongside a window. We took off from the same harbor where our cruise ship was docked, and we flew over forests, mountains, lakes, waterfalls, and rivers. While we were in a plane, it was still easy for the pilot to get close to the areas he wanted us to see. For example, he circled around a waterfall a few times so we could all get a good view, and since the plane was so small and relatively slow moving, we all got up close and personal. It was amazing to see such pristine wilderness from the perfect vantage points. We took a ton of pictures out of the windows, and they looked really good. It's a great way to capture the sights.

Rolf, our pilot, gave us expert commentary as we went along, and he really knows his stuff after spending decades in the area. I was sitting in the front passenger seat, and he showed me the radar, communication equipment, and other cool cockpit stuff. It was really cool.

We landed on a beautiful lake for a short photo stop. I'm sure one of the pictures Rolf took of us will make it to our Christmas card this year. It was a gorgeous location and was about as peaceful as can be. Then we got back in the plane for the second half of the flight, which was as beautiful as the first. Rolf took us a different way back, which was great. We loved every minute of it.

The trip isn't cheap, but if you're in Ketchikan, do yourself a favor and splurge on a trip like this. If you do, go with SeaWind. They are great people who will give you a once-in-a-lifetime experience. You won't regret it for a minute.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

We did an excursion to see the Misty Fjords while our cruise was in port. I am so thrilled that we did this trip. Our pilot, whose name unfortunately escapes me (it wasn't the owner), made us all feel incredibly safe the whole time. He played music, gave us information about the area, and let us ask any questions. We had a beautiful day and had tremendous views. Even my wife, who is scared of flying, felt comfortable the entire time. Everybody gets a window seat, and it is truly an unforgettable experience. They pick you up right from the port exactly when they say they will, and bring you back once the trip is over.

1  Thank Lovestravel83
Reviewed 19 July 2014

My husband and son booked this flight after getting off the ship. From the booking through the flying experience everything was top notch! There was an excellent view from the plane, the pilot knew the area very well and constantly pointed out sights and animals during the flight. This is a highly recommended attraction is Ketchikan.

1  Thank Nebraska_Traveler56
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

We didn't book an excursion via our cruise ship in advance and honestly were a bit leery of the on site offerings. Fortunately we came across this group- didn't have time to do any advance checking on TripAdvisor or other ; this was without a doubt one of the exceptional experiences of our trip and possibly of our lives! No kidding - the staff/ owners are all awesome, down to earth, friendly and helpful but the heart of it all is the sea plane excursion itself ( we did the fjords tour). Can't put into words the beauty and all that you will see; I kept saying to myself the whole time "oh my gosh!" and then it would keep getting more amazing. Also FYI it's very smooth flying including take off & landing. Truly exceptional!