“Fun up close eco tour”

and up
Electric Bike and Hike Guided Eco-Tour
Ranked #3 of 96 Tours in Ketchikan
More attraction details
Owner description: Relaxing and educational eco-tours in the wonderland of Southeast Alaska by E-Bike or Kayak.
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 27 June 2014

My family had two tandem kayaks and were able to explore the coast line near Ketchikan. Howard and his assistant were very accommodating and knowledgeable as they accompanied us on our trek. We paddled near the coast line to see various sea creatures in the shallow water and on rocks. Unfortunately did not see any whales or much other wildlife in the water. We did see many eagles including a close up of a young eagle at the pier. Overall it was enjoyable and we received very good friendly customer service.

There are newer reviews for Ketchikan Kayak Co

Reviewed 26 June 2014

We booked with Ketchikan Kayaking using the Trip Advisor reviews as our guide and were glad we did. We had a wonderful kayaking trip with just 5 tourists and 2 guides. Howard and Laura were wonderful guides. Rose picked us up at the ship. She was adorable, telling us all about the area and truley showing her love of Ketchikan. She brought us to Knudson Cove where we were met by Howard and Laura, our guides. We put on the rain suits they provided and stored our personal effects in the locked building they provided. We boarded our kayaks and started out. The scenery was so beautiful. As others have commented, we were able to see the colorful sea stars, several eagles and an eagles nest, and seals kept surfacing around our kayaks, sticking their noses above water. My husband and I are in our 60s and don't do much kayaking but we were able to keep up. Howard stayed with us to be certain. We were glad we opted to do this trip as opposed to the kayaking trip in a little rougher water that was offered. Howard and Laura told us all about the wildlife and shared their love of Alaska. The whole trip felt unhurried and just lovely. At the very end, Howard spotted the blow of a humpback in the distance. I shed a tear over seeing that magnificent creature dive and show it's tail. It was like the perfect end to our wonderful trip. I can't say enough about how nice Rose, Laura and Howard are. They will really work to make your trip enjoyable. I highly recommend it.

1  Thank Elizabeth F
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Don't get me wrong I like cruising and appreciate all that these incredible boat/personnel's offer. However when I am on land I prefer to experience the local scene by utilizing a local company and in a little more personal level then being herded into ship company owned/operated tourist routine.. So my quest lead me to Ketchikan Kayak Co.

Howard is incredibly on top of things, when a rushing pre-cruise me - booked a kayak excursion with his company not taking into account that by the time we were done the cruise ship would have left oopppsss.. He promptly returned the amount that I had paid and I made another booking with the 'correct' time telling me very nicely that the previous schedule would simply not work;o) as he gets the details on which ship you are arriving with and follows the itinerary.

Laura picked us up from the cruiseship dock with a van and we had a really pleasant drive to Knudson Cove marina which was about 20-30 minutes? It was me and another couple, Laura answered all our questions and showed noteworthy places during the drive. Just as we arrived we were treated to 2 humpback whales playing right by the dock! WOW!
After getting into waterproof pants and putting our valuables in waterproof pouches(all were provided) we headed out in 2 double kayaks.. and saw tons of cool wildlife - honestly that's the most wildlife I saw during the Alaska cruise. Sea stars purple, orange all clinging to the rocks which were visible during low tide. Humpback whales were hovering around for a long time. 2 curious Sea Lions decided that we are interesting enough to hand around.. loved their cute puppy faces coming out of water. Then we also saw something I think she called it Sunflower Sea Star ? It had 16 legs! Sea star on steroids!
Of course we stood by the little island where the bald eagle nest was, and we saw the resident deer on land.
Another kayak tour passed us, their guides never spent as much time answering our questions and showing us the terrain like Laura did. They were zooming from photo spot to photo spot.
When I returned to ship as I suspected I was one that had the most fun at this port. It was a short stop 7 am to 12:30pm .. but it worked perfectly. We even had snacks when we returned.
I highly recommend Howard, Laura from Ketchikan Kayak Co. they are very professional, yet personable. Cruise ships try to scare you by saying oh if you are left behind you are on your own. Now would a local company ever 'risk' not being able to have a guest return to ship in time? It would be their companys demise.
Check the cool restroom Men/Women signs when you are there
Thank you for helping me build such a cool memory of Ketchikan.

1  Thank Triagain2002
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

We visited early in the morning on low tides and saw a bunch of amazing tidal animals plus eagles, a sea lion and WHALES! Very friendly guides! It was our first time kayaking.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

My husband and I went on an 8-day trip to Alaska. The most delightful and fun event was our guided kayak tour with Ketchikan Kayak Co. Since I had had hip replacements done on both sides, I was extremely nervous about going on a kayaking tour.

It was my first experience in a kayak. Howard, the owner, showed me how to paddle and taught me how to get into a kayak. I followed his instructions and everything went soothly. The rain gear they lent us was of good quality and very clean, and we didn’t slide on the seats. ( Sliding on the seats was one of my concerns for my hips. ) While sitting and kayaking for two hours plus, I was so comfortable the whole time that I never experienced any discomfort in my hips.

Laura, our guide, was a very friendly and cheerful person with vast knowledge of biology and ecology. Even though we have strong accents, she answered all our questions. We learned a great deal about marine life in Ketchikan and trees in Alaska. She led us at a slow pace, so we could see and feel of the serenity of the surroundings.

After crossing the channel to Eagle Island, we saw an eagle nest within a very short distance from our kayak. It was huge, about one meter in diameter and built with sticks and branches. Later, Laura also showed us starfish and a sea cucumber. We even learned to distinguish different kinds of trees such as Sitka Spruce, hemlock, cedar and alder.

This kayak tour was definitely the highlight of our trip. I’m so glad that we took this kayak tour because it has given me the courage to take on challenges in spite of my hip replacements.

I would highly recommend taking a kayak tour with Ketchikan Kayak Co. We believe others would also enjoy their kayaking experience as much as we did. Thanks, Howard and Laura!