“Howard is the man.”

US$139.00*
and up
Electric Bike and Hike Guided Eco-Tour
More attraction details
Owner description: Relaxing and educational eco-tours in the wonderland of Southeast Alaska by E-Bike or Kayak.
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
“Howard is the man.”
Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

Had a great time hanging out with Captain Howard in his local stomping ground, Clover Pass.

He paddled alongside and showed us all kinds of stuff. Notably, a pair of 25 year-old bald eagles who live in a big ol nest on one of the islands. Other eagles were snatching up fish from the water right next to us.

Howard's super friendly and easy-going, and he has a sweet collection of tandem and solo kayaks. The foot-pedal steering made it really easy to steer, and the waterproof bags/gear he provided kept all our stuff safe.

This guy is a true Alaskan pioneer. Came up here on a leap of faith from California, built his own house, and now he commutes to work year-round in a kayak, catches his own food, and he knows everything about the local wildlife.

For the cherry on top, I highly recommend grabbing a beer or two from the pier where you start/end the adventure. Awesome collection of artisanal malt beverages. Including the legendary "Abyss," an elusive, world-class stout aged in three types of specialty barrels!

Indiana
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Fun up close eco tour”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

My family had two tandem kayaks and were able to explore the coast line near Ketchikan. Howard and his assistant were very accommodating and knowledgeable as they accompanied us on our trek. We paddled near the coast line to see various sea creatures in the shallow water and on rocks. Unfortunately did not see any whales or much other wildlife in the water. We did see many eagles including a close up of a young eagle at the pier. Overall it was enjoyable and we received very good friendly customer service.

Carriere, Mississippi
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Wonderful kayaking trip in Ketchikan”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We booked with Ketchikan Kayaking using the Trip Advisor reviews as our guide and were glad we did. We had a wonderful kayaking trip with just 5 tourists and 2 guides. Howard and Laura were wonderful guides. Rose picked us up at the ship. She was adorable, telling us all about the area and truley showing her love of Ketchikan. She brought us to Knudson Cove where we were met by Howard and Laura, our guides. We put on the rain suits they provided and stored our personal effects in the locked building they provided. We boarded our kayaks and started out. The scenery was so beautiful. As others have commented, we were able to see the colorful sea stars, several eagles and an eagles nest, and seals kept surfacing around our kayaks, sticking their noses above water. My husband and I are in our 60s and don't do much kayaking but we were able to keep up. Howard stayed with us to be certain. We were glad we opted to do this trip as opposed to the kayaking trip in a little rougher water that was offered. Howard and Laura told us all about the wildlife and shared their love of Alaska. The whole trip felt unhurried and just lovely. At the very end, Howard spotted the blow of a humpback in the distance. I shed a tear over seeing that magnificent creature dive and show it's tail. It was like the perfect end to our wonderful trip. I can't say enough about how nice Rose, Laura and Howard are. They will really work to make your trip enjoyable. I highly recommend it.

1 Thank Elizabeth F
Orlando, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Serene Day off the cruise ship chaos in Ketchikan with Pro's”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Don't get me wrong I like cruising and appreciate all that these incredible boat/personnel's offer. However when I am on land I prefer to experience the local scene by utilizing a local company and in a little more personal level then being herded into ship company owned/operated tourist routine.. So my quest lead me to Ketchikan Kayak Co.

Howard is incredibly on top of things, when a rushing pre-cruise me - booked a kayak excursion with his company not taking into account that by the time we were done the cruise ship would have left oopppsss.. He promptly returned the amount that I had paid and I made another booking with the 'correct' time telling me very nicely that the previous schedule would simply not work;o) as he gets the details on which ship you are arriving with and follows the itinerary.

Laura picked us up from the cruiseship dock with a van and we had a really pleasant drive to Knudson Cove marina which was about 20-30 minutes? It was me and another couple, Laura answered all our questions and showed noteworthy places during the drive. Just as we arrived we were treated to 2 humpback whales playing right by the dock! WOW!
After getting into waterproof pants and putting our valuables in waterproof pouches(all were provided) we headed out in 2 double kayaks.. and saw tons of cool wildlife - honestly that's the most wildlife I saw during the Alaska cruise. Sea stars purple, orange all clinging to the rocks which were visible during low tide. Humpback whales were hovering around for a long time. 2 curious Sea Lions decided that we are interesting enough to hand around.. loved their cute puppy faces coming out of water. Then we also saw something I think she called it Sunflower Sea Star ? It had 16 legs! Sea star on steroids!
Of course we stood by the little island where the bald eagle nest was, and we saw the resident deer on land.
Another kayak tour passed us, their guides never spent as much time answering our questions and showing us the terrain like Laura did. They were zooming from photo spot to photo spot.
When I returned to ship as I suspected I was one that had the most fun at this port. It was a short stop 7 am to 12:30pm .. but it worked perfectly. We even had snacks when we returned.
I highly recommend Howard, Laura from Ketchikan Kayak Co. they are very professional, yet personable. Cruise ships try to scare you by saying oh if you are left behind you are on your own. Now would a local company ever 'risk' not being able to have a guest return to ship in time? It would be their companys demise.
Check the cool restroom Men/Women signs when you are there
Thank you for helping me build such a cool memory of Ketchikan.

1 Thank Triagain2002
Los Angeles, California
“Wonderful way to see tide pool creatures!”
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

We visited early in the morning on low tides and saw a bunch of amazing tidal animals plus eagles, a sea lion and WHALES! Very friendly guides! It was our first time kayaking.