“Old & Tiny Room, Paper Thin Walls, Saved A Little By Service”

Inn at Creek Street
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Ketchikan
Seattle, WA
“Old & Tiny Room, Paper Thin Walls, Saved A Little By Service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2010

The people at this hotel are friendly and very helpful, but the room itself was so bad that I don't think it makes up for it. The location of the hotel is excellent, but the town is small enough that nearly any hotel would be close to most things.

ROOM: We stayed in room #2 and were told at check-in that they were putting us in one of their nice big rooms. Ummm, it was tough for the both of us to move around and we only had one small bag each, but if we had larger luggage we would have to climb over the bed to get anywhere. I'm afraid of the size of their "regular" rooms. This room is also on the street side so it is very very noisy all day long and into the evening and night. If any size car goes by, you know. It is also next to the stairs so anyone coming up to their room is easily heard through the thin walls. The furniture was "antique," but the bed sagged and the pillows were very firm. They did provide free coffee and a coffee maker plus fridge. There was a basic tube style TV and cable, but the road noise was so bad it was tough to hear the TV unless you turned it way up.

BATH: The bath was smallish, but serviceable. The door did not close unless you slammed it, so if you get up in the middle of the night you will wake up your spouse. The water pressure in the shower was good, but during our showers the water went from scalding to freezing depending on who was also using shower in the hotel or coffee shop. Be careful!

HOTEL AMENITIES: There was free wifi that worked great and a computer in the hallway for guests to use for free. There was also a microwave at the top of the stairs. We did not use the transfer / pick-up service so I'm not sure how that works. They were kind enough to store our luggage on the last day for a few hours.

There are very few choices for hotels in Ketchikan so the $150 / night is not that unusual, but you could certainly pick a hotel that isn't so noisy and has bigger rooms. Or better yet, check out the vacation rentals on Craigslist. I made the mistake of doing so after this booking.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
Ketch-a-gal, Manager at Inn at Creek Street, responded to this review, 11 July 2010
I'm very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your visit at the historic New York Hotel. Your feedback is very important to us and we appreciate all of your input. Because you made us aware of the problem with the water temperature during your shower and the bathroom door not closing all the way, we were able to fix those issues for our future guests. Thank you for your insight.

I wish I had known that noise was also a problem, I would have gladly switched you to a very quiet room around the corner. Of course, it wouldn't have had the absolutely beautiful view of the harbor that you enjoyed, but knowing now how that the liveliness of the street below was bothersome to you, I believe you would have been much happier in a room with a garden view or better yet, a suite on the boardwalk.

Please let us know the next time you are in town and we gladly show you the spacious suites and wonderful vacation rentals we have to offer. With the same friendly and helpful staff you praised in your review, these options are more spacious and include a living room, kitchenette or full kitchen, plus several have bathrooms with Jacuzzi tubs and great decks overlooking the famous spawning grounds of Ketchikan Creek.

We would really enjoy helping you choose the room that best suites your needs so that your next visit to Ketchikan will be your best ever!

Cheers,
Renee McLaughlin, General Manager
Inn at Creek Street & New York Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Wauchope, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2010

We stayed for 2 nights at the Creek House - 2 floors,full kitchen, washing machine, kiing bed - huge living room with views of either the harbour or the cruise ships (can't see much past those big things!).
This apartment was roomy,, comfortable and top value with the TourSaver 2 for 1 voucher.
If you fly in, catch the Water Taxi - delivers you almost to the door and a great way to arrive in Ketchikan (complete with great stories).It was only $27 for 2 of us.
Even though we had checked out, it was no trouble to store our bags and supply a free shuttle to the ferry late in the afternoon.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Alaska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2010

I would highly recomend this hotel. My trip was supose to be for 5 days with my daughter and another mother/son during a swim meet. My trip ended up being extended due to our ferry being broken down. No matter what the request was that I had (even the odd ball requests like for a screw driver) the staff was very pleasent and helpful. When I found out that I needed to stay longer I could not believe how helpful they were.... I highly recomend this hotel. Their Cafe is the best in town, as well. I heard that from other parents that were there for the swim meet as well.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
Pembroke Pines, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2009

...or so they say. I have been in few in this lovely Alaskan town and I'd concur. The room is small but neat, location of the hotel is great, cannot be better. Helpful staff. Expensive but since there no much of other hotels - you have no choice.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank InterMMiami
Vancouver, wa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2009

Loved it. I have stayed here 3 times now. They take good care of me, work around my schedule and always have a smile.

Scott

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2009

We stayed in one of houses on the Creek. It had a kitchen, laundry, 2 sleeping areas, a living room with windows overlooking the creek and the bay. I could have sat in the chair by the window and watched the world go by all day. Although the area is busy during the day, once the cruise ships leave it's very quiet and relaxing. The staff were great. Our oven didn't work so they came and got our salmon to their kitchen, cooked it and returned it to us for dinner.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Lake Tahoe
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2009

Our group had 3 different stays in Ketchikan - with people arriving and leaving at all different times. The New York Hotel staff (Jose - weekend manager and Renee) were really helpful. There wasn't anything they wouldn't do for us. Jose gave us great tips on where to eat and even arranged rides there and back! On our last night, Jose picked us up at the air taxi, then went back later to the dock to get our missing bag. It was no problem to leave extra bags while we were gone kayaking and/or fishing which helped a lot! The hotel provides umbrellas if you need to use them around town. The Ketchikan Coffee Company in the ground level has the best coffee in town, and wifi. The hotel has a computer you can the internet on. The Creek St. area is great and easy walking distance to restaurants and stores. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family