“Interesting historical place”

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Interesting historical place”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We found it very interesting to visit Dolly's House Museum. To see the antique household items, hear and read about life in those days was enlightening.

1 Thank Jeannekall

• Polish first
Lake Worth, Florida, United States
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Interesting, fun and cheap thrills”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Enjoyed looking at the décor and interior furnishings of a working house of ill repute back in the day. Interesting history of Dolly and her girls. Didn't cost that much and had a little adult fun.

1 Thank Ron M
Durham, United Kingdom
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“A good place to visit”
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

A very good museum with TV to tell the tale gives you a good understanding of what life was like in days gone bye

1 Thank Stephen P
Pomona
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Really cute!”
Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

We adored this attraction. My girlfriend was surprised she loved it so much also. Staff is really informative and wear cute outfits. Exhibits and so very interesting. Admission is cheap! Make sure you go and take pics.

2 Thank Jeff264
Nashville, Tennessee, United States
101 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 178 helpful votes
“An unassuming little place with an impressive history (and maybe a ghost?)”
Reviewed 19 January 2014

This was our second visit to Ketchikan. We didn't tour Dolly's house the first time, but I'd wanted to. My husband had some business to attend to so I had a couple hours alone when we reached Ketchikan. I knew just how I was going to spend them, and part of it involved taking the tour of Dolly's house!

The house itself is very unassuming. It's loaded with artifacts of the time, which are interesting, but it's really Dolly's story that's most interesting. She was a diabetic most of her life, yet lived (and worked...as a lady of the evening!) for the majority of her life! (She worked into like her 70s!!!!)

The hostesses were a hoot. They're saucy and bawdy and really bring the spirit of the house and Creek Street's colorful past alive. AND it's okay to take video and pictures inside! They made sure to tell us about the flowers adorning the shower curtain in the upstairs bathroom. (They weren't useful to Dolly in the bedroom but she didn't let them go to waste!) And they also told about the device used for hysterical women back in the day which bears little resemblance to a modern day counterpart many women use in the privacy of their own home. (As one of them said conspiratorially to me about the historic device, "I don't know about you, but if someone came at me with that thing, if I wasn't a hysterical woman I would be!") It's kept in the case at the foot of Dolly's bed.

Had to ask about the ghost, though. A long time ago I saw something on some TV show about Dolly's house being haunted. The hostesses said they had to give their official answer that, "No, there are no ghosts at Dolly's house." However, they did tell me people have reported things in the kitchen and on the stairs.

I didn't see any ghosts, but definitely enjoyed the spirit of the house. Glad I took the tour. Also bought the book they had for sale, Soiled Doves, and devoured it. Wasn't about Dolly, but about ladies like her. Fascinating!

Visited July 2013