“Great Hike”

Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Great Hike”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

I have gone on only a handful of hikes in my life, but none as spectacular as hiking Deer Mountain. We started out from our cruise aboard the Celebrity Solstice, and went to the visitor center where we asked for and were given a beacon to take with us on our hike. Although we did not have to use it thank goodness, it is advisable that you have one of these before you set out for your hike. I had also read that you should take a cab to the entrance of the trail, about one mile from the ship, but we walked it-take a cab. The hill up to the trail's entrance is quite steep and I should've saved my legs for the hike. The views along the trail were well worth it, and the trail was very well taken care of and marked-easy to follow. We did not make it up to the summit due to the rain, but climbed about 1,600 feet, and it took us about four hours r/t.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank rafael8075

Calumet, Michigan
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Challenging Mountain Hike”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

Enjoyed this hike up the mountain-side. Fairly steep and moderately difficult at places. Not a lot of views until you get to the top after about 3 miles. One nice overlook half way up.

Visited June 2014
3 Thank Barry E
Leicester, England
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 91 helpful votes
“Hard work but worth it for the views”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

We had come to Ketchikan on a cruise ship and wanted something to do rather than visit all the tourist traps. We didn't manage to get right to the top as there was too much snow but we did get to the main viewing spot which overlooks the harbour and the town. We are in the 50-60 age range and although it was quite hard it took us roughly 2 hours each way, starting form the trail head. The views are superb especially on a sunny day, which I understand Ketchikan doesn't have many of.
Two pieces of advice, do take a taxi to the start of the trail, otherwise you will be tired out before you get there and if you pop into the tourist office in town they will loan you a GPS which enables your trek to be monitored as you go along and it has an SOS button you can use if you have problems.

Visited May 2014
9 Thank awizzbang
Providence, Rhode Island
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Absolutely worth it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

I was staying in Ketchikan while my husband was on business there. One of the only days that there was no rain in the forecast I went kayaking in the morning and hiked this in the afternoon. Yes I know I was squeezing a lot in but the day was perfect and I wasn't sure if the next day it would rain. I did hike this ALONE. Probably not the best idea but no one was around to hike this with me and I just had to do this. I started from the cape fox hotel and walked to the trail head. If you do this however you will be walking up some of the steepest grades of road I have ever seen for quite some time, think San Francisco CA. Make sure you bring lots of water. This is a heavily trafficked trail so getting lost is not an option. This place had some of the most beautiful scenery I have ever seen in my life. It was a very clear day and you could see for miles in every direction. This trail is a bit longer than is stated though. I think they say that it was 3.7 miles and it is absolutely longer than that. I forget by how much since it was a while ago that I went but I feel like it was over a mile longer than stated on the sign. Not a big deal but I like to know exactly what I'm getting into before I commit myself to a hike. I saw lots of people on the way up and down and that was a comfort to me since I was alone. :) Parts of this trail were strenuous but it was mostly easy. Just pace yourself and you should be fine.

Visited June 2013
3 Thank Rachel C
Anchorage, Alaska
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Morning well spent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

Well-maintained trail. Relatively easy, although you may find yourself wanting to quit at some point. Don't. The view and sense of accomplishment once you get to the top is worth it! Save it for a clear day, or as clear as you can hope for in Ketchikan. I'd set aside 3-4 hours for this trek if you're planning on a nice, easy pace.

Visited August 2013