“Felt young again”

Alaska Sea Cycle Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Enjoy exploring the Southeast Alaskan coastline on a sea cycle. Seacycling is the cadillac of kayaking. Leisurely pedal 5-7 mph and have your hands free for picture taking and binocular use. Our guided tour takes you up close to the abundant wildlife. Discover one of the most historic coves in SE Alaska. Learn about all of the industries that created Alaska and the unique ways Alaskans still utilize the land and the ocean to subsist. Top off your tour with hot coffee, tea, hot chocolate, cookies, salmon dip, cheese and crackers, and fruit.
Reviewed 27 June 2014

During our Alaskan vacation, the wife and I decided to do some excursions. Well, neither if us know how to swim but I decided to 'go for it'. It was a blast and one if the best parts was seeing the look of amazement on our adult children's faces. Another nice part, besides the scenery and fun, was being given keepsake photos of our day emailed to us by the staff. This is a family run business with 2 terrific ladies, Amber and Vickie, giving us our tour. They both wre great and treated us like family. Although the bears weren't around for our trip, we did get to see 2-3 seals playing in the water close to out cycle.

Last thing was the nice amount of fresh air exercise we both got. Highly recommend to all, even those that can't swim, and are seniors, just take your time getting on the cycle and full speed ahead, following the tour guide. You'll love it.

All reviews
"visiting ketchikan"
"sea urchins"
"awesome experience"

Reviewed 26 June 2014

Picked up from the cruise terminal and a short drive to Vicky and Ambers quay. The 4 of us enjoyed the solitude and scenery and also the wealth of knowledge and background information on both the wildlife and the what it is like to stay in Alaska from Vicky and Amber. Cycles easy to navigate and propel with plenty of stops to view scenery and wildlife

Reviewed 16 June 2014

We booked this activity separate from the cruise activities and were not in the least disappointed. Amber and Vicki felt like family before we even got to Ketchikan from Texas. This was a fun experience for our entire group of 6. My 76 year old Mother had a great time as did myself, a more than generously round individual. The snack afterward of their homemade salmon dip just finished things off perfectly. Amber was born and raised in Ketchikan and Vicki has lived there many years. They are a wealth of information about the REAL Alaska! We named the seal Simon, so tell him hi from us if you see him.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

We visited Ketchikan as a stop on our Alaskan cruise and wanted to find an excursion that is off the beaten path. Alaska Sea Cycle tours delivered. Vicki picked us up at the dock after providing clear instructions about the meeting place. We took a short drive to the sea cycle location, during which Vicki told us lots of interesting info about the area and her amusing story of how her family ended up in Ketchikan.

We met Amber at the very clean and quaint (I mean that in the most very positive way) Sea Cycle building/dock. Be aware that there's only a port-a-potty, but I assume that if you are on an excursion like this you should be able to handle it. My 9 year old remarked that it was the best smelling portable that she ever used. High praise from her, believe me. Back to Amber- she was very helpful in getting us all set for the tour and explained the sea cycles clearly. No rocket science there. The cycles can accommodate up to 4 (at least 3), but Vicki informed us that any rider on the back makes a big difference in difficulty. That said, our group of 5 split into 2 sets of 2 and I rode with Amber. She was so interesting and grew up in the area. She had so many insights about so many things. I am really happy that I ended up with her. We did stop many times for her to share some of her knowledge and anecdotes with the group (in addition to the 5 of us, there was another family of 4). Amusing sea otters followed us around and kept peeking their heads out the water to steal glances. Not sure who was more interested- us or the otters.

A few notes about the sea cycles- 1. VERY stable. 2. My small 9 yr old and 12 yr olds powered them, each was paired with an adult. 3. Do not plan to take things with you- maybe one camera. There's a basket on the back of a few cycles, but you will be busy pedaling and oogling at the sights. They provide a secure location in the building to leave your things 4. You will wear a life jacket. We had uncharacteristically fantastic weather, but Amber told me that they go out in rainy conditions- they provide rain gear, but come prepared.

After the tour, we went back to the nice dock and building, where they had a wonderful snack! Fantastic smoked salmon spread and Alaska berry jams- yummy and I had to buy a jar of one flavor in town. Vicki drove us back to town and included a short tour of the more residential areas.

All in all, this tour is totally different that anything else that was available during our entire cruise and we are happy that we chose this. The exercise was great after being on the cruise ship and spending so much time just walking around. The scenery was beautiful and the personal touches made this a special experience. The fact that this a family owned and operated local business is a plus. Vicki and Amber (and Vicki's kids who helped out on their FIRST day of summer vacation!) obviously take pride in their unique business and it is reflected in the experience that they are able to deliver.

See more reviews
Reviewed 9 January 2014

My daughter and I had a fantastic time with Amber and Vicki. We booked with them directly as a shore excursion while in Ketchikan. They picked us up at the ship and drove us to the cove, sharing valuable knowledge on the way. The sea cycles were easy to use and we stayed dry. They provided waterproof pants and jackets just in case. We were able to get many terrific photos and learn about the area while burning off some of the cruise ship calories. The delicious salmon dip and other snacks provided upon our return were definitely appreciated. Getting away from the crowds and shops was wonderful and relaxing. I highly recommend this tour!

Review collected in partnership with this attraction