“Local art with a twist”

The Soho Coho
Ranked #6 of 31 Shopping in Ketchikan
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Ray and Michelle Troll opened the Soho Coho art gallery in 1992. It's appropriately situated above a salmon spawning stream in K-town's notorious former red light district. The Star Building was the biggest house-of-ill-repute on the street and featured a hardwood dance floor with a large inlaid star. The original star is still there today! Once upon a time it housed a rouwdy dance hall run by the likes of "sporting women" known as Black mary and Thelman Baker. Now it showcases the artwork of Ketchikan artists Ray Troll, Evon Zerbetz, Chip Porter, Hall Anderson, Lizzie O, and more. You'll find an ecclectic mix of originals, prints, t-shirts, books, fossils, and unique gifts at the Soho Coho where our moto is "Better living through difficult art!"
Orlando, Florida
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Local art with a twist”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

While wandering down Creek Street early one morning, I saw a great t-shirt in a shop and asked the salesman about it. "That's Ray Troll", he said, and directed me to a nearby shop tucked into a little corner of Creek Street called Soho Coho. Local artist Ray Troll has a great collection of t-shirts, cards, and prints available here, along with an assortment of other artists in a rather eclectic collection. Troll's art is very "punny" with themes ranging from fishing to ocean ecology to evolution. I fell in love and really struggled with what to buy, because I found so many things I wanted to take home with me. I settled on a beautiful print of ammonites swimming in a nighttime sea with a very clever tagline that struck my funny bone. I also got a t-shirt for my son. I could have kept spending money but restrained myself, with effort. Great store with wonderful local flavor. I'm so glad we found it!

Visited June 2014
2 Thank BookBard

Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Fish and more”
Reviewed 20 June 2014

A must-see in Ketchikan. If you like fish-themed art and/or appreciate terrible puns, you'll enjoy this shop. There is other good quality Alaskan art and jewellery too.

Visited June 2014
Anchorage, Alaska
209 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 224 helpful votes
“Amazing gallery for fish art enthusiasts & Ray Troll fans :)”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

The Soho Coho is owned by famous Ketchikan artist Ray Troll, who specializes in all manner of fish-related paintings and drawings. I always stop in to update my collection of Troll fishy t-shirts, cards, etc. and to check out their array of unique gift/collectible items as well... The Soho Coho is located on the famed Creek Street boardwalk where a stroll will enable you to learn about the most interesting history of this part of the town :)) A must see place for anyone who visits Ketchikan -- enjoy!!

Visited May 2014
2 Thank G C
Hell, Michigan
307 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 579 helpful votes
“cool shopkeeper and artwork”
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I'm not one to review shopping experiences but this one stood out. The shopkeeper was interesting to speak with as she described how Ketchikan is during cruise ship season and then how it is other times of the year. The merchandise was cool and wasn't the same stuff we saw everywhere else. There were unique things which made the shopping all the better.

Visited September 2013
Chicago
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Great art by a real local artist”
Reviewed 3 July 2013

Soho Coho is the shop that sells merchandise from Ketchikan artist Ray Troll, whose work can be seen thoughout Alaska and in mnay museums in the lower 48. What can you say about a man that loves fish, fossils, and outrageous puns ("Octopi Wall Street", "Cod in the Act")? A very short walk from the main tourist drag and well worth it.

Visited June 2013