“Exceeded my expections....”

Ranked #1 of 18 Ketchikan B&B and Inns
Canyon Lake, California
“Exceeded my expections....”
Reviewed 19 June 2013

My hubby and I got off a cruise in Ketchican, I was to stay by myself at the Black Bear Inn for 4 days while my hubby went fishing to the Prince Of Whales @ Waterfall Resort. I wanted a more small, personal, private, quiet environment and yet luxurious and above hotel standards. I must say my expectations were exceeded. The ambiance was exceptional, the grounds were lovely with a variety of flowers and beautiful views. There were Black Bear's to greet me everywhere. They followed through with details of white napkins with black bear paw prints. I was given "The Raven Room" it was exceptionally modern and clean and decorated in the theme of the room's name. Black ravens were perched high on the armoire
and on the glass coasters. Now, with all that care to visual detail the owners Jim & Nicole Church, also have genuine care for their guests. They are warmly hospitable and are a great source of information and help, they made reservations for anything that I might want to do, restaurant and/or spa, zipline.
They accommodated my needs to make my stay extraordinary. Jim drove my hubby to his fishing meeting place and dropped him off at 5am so I would not have to get up early and be disturbed. They expect nothing in return except to leave with a wonderful experience and a warm feeling like I have been hugged by a big black bear.
Their other guests were friendly and yet respectful of when I may want my privacy.
When I left I knew I wanted to bring home with me
​the genuine warmth that they gave to me.

Thanks, Jim & Nicole Church

Room Tip: All Six room's are equally quiet, private and well equipped with microwave oven, refrigerator an...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Honolulu
Reviewed 20 May 2013

We are a family from Hawaii and found our stay at Black Bear Inn to be quite pleasant and enjoyable. The owners designed the home for this purpose - multiple rooms for couples, families - big and small. Bedrooms were comfy with all the amenities, big bathrooms, wifi, and mini fridge. Kitchen was open and stocked for breakfast and snacks, they even have a hot jacuzzi overlooking the water. Five minutes from the ferry dock - we would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank WellTraveledSays
anchorage
Reviewed 4 October 2012

I came to the black bear inn after a pretty rough week and was greeted by two of the nicest people I have ever met. When I went into my room, it was absolutely spectacular. In addition to the great room, my hosts gave me all the inside tips on where to go in Ketchikan to have an amazing time. They even gave me a suggestion on where to find bears...and I was able to watch 6 of them during my time in the city. All around it was a tremendous time and worth every penny!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Minnesota
Reviewed 1 October 2012

I returned to Ketchikan for another great stay at the Black Bear Inn. My elegant and luxuriously appointed room was quiet and very comfortable, overlooking spectacular views of the channel. A wonderful bed with stacks of puffy pillows and silky sheets made for a great night's sleep. Jim's personal transportation to and from the ferry was prompt, convenient and most appreciated. Jim and Nicole are gracious and welcoming hosts who take great pride in their inn which is seen everywhere in their great attention to every detail. I have stayed at B and B's all around Alaska, traveling for my job, and The Black Bear Inn is as beautiful and carefully managed as any.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Davos Klosters, Switzerland
Reviewed 18 September 2012

I spent 2 days in Ketchikan the Black Bear Inn. It was a very nice time with nice hosts. The rooms were clean, and very comfortable. The patio was gemial overlooking the sea. I can only recommend this property. Christophe Rochat from Switzerland

• Stayed September 2012
Reviewed 11 September 2012

My wife and I enjoyed an excellent stay. Although the Inn is located adjacent to a moderately busy road, I did not notice road traffic at all. If you like airplanes, you'll see plenty of them (seaplanes, helicopters) working the waterway behind the Inn. Nicole and Jim are very friendly and have a great sense of humor. Our stay in the area was short, so we asked Nicole to share local knowledge on dining and sight-seeing opportunities. All of her suggestions were spot on.

• Stayed August 2012
Waterville, Maine
Reviewed 26 August 2012

We stayed here the first 3 days of our month long Alaska vacation. Having never been to Alaska these first 3 days were a wonderful introduction to both the beauty of Alaska and the warmth and hospitality of the people. The location is "Alaska Beautiful", the Inn is beautifully decorated, and the quality of the furnishings are first rate. Jim and Nicole were perfect hosts; offering to provide information about where to go and what to do in Ketchikan while at the same time leaving us to our privacy. Upon our arrival Nicole introduced us to our neighbors which was great because we had side by side decks and spent time sharing stories about our day with our new friends. When the guys were napping my neighbor, Nicole, and I sat in the kitchen and visited for hours (like you do with your girlfriends in your own home). My husband enjoyed visiting with Jim so much I had to practically drag him away when it was time to go. We are early risers and the fully stocked kitchen was always ready with an array of healthy breakfast choices; hot and cold cereals, toast, bagels, hot coffee, juices, pastries, and fresh fruit and berries. We were picked up from the ferry terminal by Jim and our rental car was delivered to the Inn the next morning. Nicole had previously booked a Misty Fjords flightseeing tour for us with Island Wings Flightseeing. Island Wings was recommended by Nicole as the best and it was the highlight of our 3 days in Ketchikan. Restaurants and shops were also recommended and greatly appreciated. Nicole did everything, all we had to do was show up on time and pay for it!!! We plan to go to Alaska again and if we find ourselves in Ketchikan the Black Bear Inn is the only place we will stay and will recommend it to friends. To give you some feeling for how I felt while at the Black Bear Inn I am sharing the following entry from my vacation journal: "July 26, awake at 4:40 with the sun, the horns from the boats, and the fish jumping. Nicole had hot coffee & breakfast pastries ready and as the fog lifts slowly I can see the outlines of objects in the water. It's cool here outside, fresh air like I have never breathed before and I still can't believe I'm in Alaska! Hubby is comfortable in bed and I hope will come outside and join me soon. Birds sound just like at home. It's not 5:30 yet and I already love today!"

Room Tip: I saw every room and there isn't a bad one. Really depends on how much room you need for the nu...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple