“our journey in Alaska with our best friends” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Black Bear Inn

Black Bear Inn
Ranked #1 of 18 Ketchikan B&B and Inns
opvelp
“our journey in Alaska with our best friends”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2009

Our friends stayed in the appartment and we in the new bunkhouse.
We loved the welcome with a drink from Nicole and the music in our rooms.
The view of the bay and the passing of the cruise ship so nearby was trully magnificant
Nicole indicated us the place where we could spot bears and eagles and yes when we arrived we saw 2 bears and an eagle, that was very impressif because it was the first time that we saw a bear so nearby.
We are from Belgium and the only bears we se is in the zoo.
The next morning we had a good breakfast in the cosy livingroom.
We regretted that our journey wth Nicole and husband where so quicly over. We hope in the near future we have the possibility to go back to Ketchikan and The Black Bear Inn.
To every one who goes to Ketchikan from Europe please take the opporunity to stay with Nicole and James.
Emile and Rosa, Brussels, Belgium
Roger and Estelle, Opvelp, Belgium

Stayed August 2007

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Spokane
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2008

The rooms are excellent, the setting relaxing, the amenities very comprehensive. Nicole and Jim make everyone feel very welcom and comfortable.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
LAsColinasCyclists
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2008

We stayed in "The Bunkhouse" at the Black Bear Inn from July 12 to July 18, 2008. Our stay was as fulfilling as we hoped it would be. Our friends ask us how our stay was and we tell them that "we found peace at the Black Bear". After days of hiking, fishing and zip lines we found it a wonderful place to return to and recharge for the next day's adventure. It is an eloquent, quiet, cozy and friendly environment to just kick back and relax. Nicole and Jim are very accommodating and very interesting people, they leave you on your own but they also took the time to sit and just be friends and talk about Ketchikan and Alaska. We really enjoyed our daily afternoon chat with Jim down by the water. We miss it everyday. We will be back, "peace is waiting".

Bob & Mickey Pangrac
Irving, TX

• Liked — The In was beautiful
  • Disliked — Could not Stay Longer
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
Yakima, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2008

Those of us who travel a lot know to view promotional material with a jaundiced eye, to expect less than half of what is claimed. I was astounded (and oh, so pleased) to find the Black Bear Inn vastly exceeded the claims of its promos! I have never stayed in a place so fine, so comfortable, so hospitable, so concerned with anticipating my needs/wants, or so beautifully appointed! A true Alaskan gem that reset my standard of comfort in B&Bs (or resorts!). What a delight!

The Black Bear is a small, intimate resort , right off the main road, tucked into a hillside that stops at the water's edge. I assume you can fish right off the water's edge. They have a view that is to die for.

We stayed in the secluded Eagle's Nest, which was a terrific study in the art of using architectural points and interior decorating to make an itty-bitty place into an efficient, seemingly spacious (it's all in the design!), COMFORTABLY cozy little love nest. The place was spotlessly clean! It had everything you could possibly want. BOOKS! Lots of books about the area, local history, and novels set in Alaska. Large frig/freezer stocked with the basics like eggs and milk. Chocolates, candy & snack bars; several selections of teas and coffees. Dishes and utensils for anything you might care to prepare; gas range/oven, built-in microwave oven, toaster. Washer/dryer, iron. Flat screen TV with DVD player. CD player. Hair dryer. Walk-in shower built for 2 and set up with soap/shampoo dispensers. 2 beds (oh my gosh! What comfortable beds!) tastefully arranged so that HOTEL never came to mind (nothing about the Eagle's Nest says HOTEL). Windows that OPEN to let in the clean, crisp air drifting in from the ocean. A protected porch (probably for smokers, but, heh, it was charming)! Ok, that's just the suite and I left out a whole lot of good stuff you'll just have to go see for yourself!

The Black Bear is surrounded by terraced gardens so lush you can only dream of having anything so nice back home. The pleasure of exploring the gardens was exceeded only by reading on the patio in the afternoon sun, well, except for climbing into the spotless hot tub at 6 AM! I watched ravens, jays, and an immature Bald Eagle work over scraps from the previous night's fish/crab feed. Saw fishing boats slowly make their way out of the harbor, meditated with the mist as it drifted through the trees on the snow-capped islands across the way, and marveled at the glassy water only occasionally pierced by a hunting eagle, all while soaking in that tub. The hot tub is available 24/7 and all anyone asks is that you be considerate of others and enjoy 3 AM soaks quietly. So when's the last time you stayed anywhere allowing a 3 AM soak? Oh! I nearly forgot! It has a back massager that works!

In my explorations of the grounds I found a propane-fired crab boiler, a smoker, and a well-vented open pit fireplace (it's under the large covered patio with the hot tub!). There were 4 nice fisherman staying in the 4 rooms at the Black Bear (there is only another small cabin). Saturday evening they dragged coolers full of the day's catch from the inn's van and revved up an old-fashioned beer, fish, and crab boil, assisted by James and Nicole who provided unobtrusive guidance and stimulating conversation ("It was how big?").

There are a few tiny little drawbacks to staying in Ketchikan, only one really having to do with the Black Bear. Unless you want to stock up on the first day and use the Black Bear as a retreat for your entire stay, which is the way I'm going to do it the next time, you need to rent a car. Renting a car there was very easy and I thought the $45/day was quite reasonable. I figure 3 days max if you only need it for sight-seeling since there are only about 100 miles of road in all of Ketchikan, including the back roads, and very little in the way of things to do unless you fish, bring your kayak or your SCUBA gear, are a photographer or birder, are from dry country and enjoy sight-seeing, love exloring tidal pools or peering closely at mosses, lichens, and rocks, or are wealthy enough to take the wonderful bush pilot and watercraft tours of the area. Unlike most B&Bs, which feed you at least a large breakfast and afternoon snacks/ sandwiches, the Black Bear does not prepare food for you unless you set this up with them as part of your stay. There were breakfast foods available in the Eagle Nest and we did fine without going out for breakfast but we went to town for our other meals. If you don't stock up, then you are going to want to head into town for meals and that could be a 2- to 3-mile hike. Taxis are available but I did not use one so I can't comment on the rates. I was not particularly impressed with the restaurants although my boyfriend raved about the smoked salmon fetuccinni at Anabelle's just south of the tunnel and wondered why my pot roast wasn't as good as Bar Harbor's. The Burger Queen by the tunnel had oversized halibut and chips for $16 a serving, which I found a bit steep for heart-attack food so I did not try it, but it looked good. If you want seafood, buy what you want at one of the fish markets and prepare it yourself back at the Black Bear (the Eagle's Nest is stocked with seasonings/gear and there is an outdoor grill). For anything else, the local Safeway is as upscale as any if the other grocery stores don't suit you. Believe it or not, this tiny little town has a Walmart with Walmart shuttles available.

And it rains a lot in Ketchikan; be prepared (Dollar store rain ponchos worked out well when we remembered to take them with us). We watched a group of young teens, decked out in full rain gear, enjoying (?) their rented bicycles during a downpour, a veritable gully-washer, about which even the locals were still talking 2 days later. We ventured out into the forest park at the north end of the road earlier that day during a light rain in only our jackets. We were warm when we got back but our jackets weighed 10 pounds apiece. No problem at the Eagle's Nest -- I tossed them into the dryer, prepared a lovely cup of Earl Grey, and scarfed-down a sinful but delicious cherry puff-pastry turnover (delightfully presented upon arrival on the dining room table in a covered cake stand along with a couple of other goodies). The following 2 days were gorgeous and filled with warm sunshine and gentle breezes, which is unexpected in June, so we lucked!

Ketchikan is a cruise ship town and closes its shopping doors when the cruise ships leave each night so do your tourist shopping by 5 PM (on some days they stay later but 5 PM is a safe bet everyday). The shops in "old town" Ketchikan cater to the ships. I'm still wondering about "Gems of the Carribean" and the gallery full of black coral art & jewelry (black coral is native to the Carribean). You can get any kind of jems, from pearls to opals, some real quality stuff, from across the Bering Sea as well as Australia. I was particularly intrigued to find a shop on Creek Street owned by an Australian family who are part owners of an Australian opal field/mine. You can learn a lot about opals and gold there. The available local art is world class and, I thought, reasonably priced. Local art is less expensive when located away from the cruise ship dock. There is a lovely shop about a half mile north of the tunnel (there is a tunnel in town!)

[So now that you know that Ketchikan caters to the cruise ships, you can understand why the restaurant food just isn't that great. Hard to compete with unlimited amounts of "free" food prepared by world-class chefs.]

The airport is connected to Ketchikan by ferry that runs every 15 minutes which can be quite the problem if you don't figure it in when trying to beat the 30 minute-before-takeoff-or-else-you-walk deadline. We walked to Seattle. Well, gosh, we were enjoying the grand view of the cruise ships from the Safeway deli and lost track of time!

Well, I suppose I should be keeping the Black Bear to myself. I'm thinking about gathering up my best girl-friends and doing a girl's week out. We'll bring our own DVDs (the BBI's supply is large but not to my taste), hot chocolate with marshmallows, some kind of devine coffee, wine from our Yakima vinyards, and a masseuse ( yeah, like I can afford a private masseuse, but there's always that hot tub!). Maybe structure the event to accomplish some kind of goal, say, like how to find the jobs we really want, or what the world is getting ready to do that we can take advantage of, or, perhaps, just reminisce and plan our futures, there, in the hot tub at the cozy little Black Bear Inn.

• Liked — It's gorgeous with a gorgeous view and a great hot tub scene.
  • Disliked — Road noise but I just closed the window to the bedroom.
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2008

Our recent stay at the Black Bear Inn was fabulous from start to finish! We stayed one week and were sad to leave. Nicole and James are a wonderful couple who did everything possible to make our visit a special one. I couldn't have imagined the inn to have been any lovelier than it was. Nicole worked effortlessly at booking our tours, massages, etc. She listened to what we were looking for in our vacation and matched our interest perfectly! We even got engaged during our stay which made it even more special. We hightly recommend the Black Bear Inn to anyone looking for PERFECT accommodations. The main inn is so adorable and the Bunkhouse where we stayed was incredible (very nice for an extended stay). Excellent sums it up!!! Thanks Nicole and James hope to visit again soon regards Sarah & John from Texas.

• Liked — Everything was perfect
  • Disliked — Perfect as is
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2008

I feel I have to write about this place!! We haven't even stayed at the Black Bear Inn yet and we are already blown away by their service. My husband and I are taking our dream trip to Alaska the 1st 2 weeks in June. We are booked to stay 2 nights @ the black bear inn. When I called to reserve a room, Nicole had many suggestions on what to do in the area,booked the things we were interested in for us and lined up a car rental etc... Great help! But it doesn't stop there! After our stay in Ketchikan we are traveling on via ferry to Juneau. I have found all lodging is booked for the weekend we are there. Nicole has been calling all over trying to find us a place to stay while we are in Juneau. Talk about going above and beyond!! We can't wait for our stay at the Black bear inn!! I'm sure I will be writing about how wonderful our stay was in a few weeks.

• Stayed May 2008
anchorage
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2008

While in Ketchikan on business I had the privilege of staying at the Black Bear Inn Bed & Breakfast for three nights. It was truly a very enjoyable and relaxing experience. Clean is an understatement as everything was spotless and well kept. The amount of special touches was overwhelming from hi-thread count sheets, plush robes and complimentary lotions to even Q-tips and body lotions. Did I mention the hot tub that overlooks the ocean!!!!!!

• Liked — all the added touches.
  • Disliked — that I couldnt stay longer.
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled on business