“Absolutely Stunning”
Review of Black Bear Inn

Black Bear Inn
Ranked #1 of 18 Ketchikan B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 February 2010

I reserved a room at the Black Bear for a friend who was coming from out of town. The first thing I noticed about the Inn is how clean and cozy it was. The rooms were well appointed with lots of little extras. The common areas were furnished with the kind of soft, comfy seating that make you want to curl up with a good book. And the views were gorgeous. I will definitely refer my friends and family to the Black Bear Inn in the future

• Stayed: January 2010

Reviewed 9 October 2009

Stayed for two weeks at The Black Bear Inn in the "bunkhouse". The reviews had all been wonderful so I was looking forward to my stay. It was my second stay in Ketchikan and my first stay at the Black Bear Inn. Upon arrival I was immediately charmed by my room which was separate from the main house. It was cozy, warm, spotless with the furnishings both charming and reflective of the Alaskan culture of Ketchikan. I loved my room from the first day until the end of my two week stay. The grounds of the Inn are right on the water just out of town, but close enough to pop into to town. It was situated at a perfect location to be able to travel to the northern side of the island and to the southern side. Nicole and Jim were so helpful with ideas of things to do, setting up activities, and making sure that I enjoyed my stay. They are the heart and soul of the Black Bear Inn. Also wonderful was the lovely hot tub under a patio overlooking the water. A perfect place to enjoy a Ketcikan evening or sunset. I will be back for sure!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 July 2009

i came to stay here and loved every minute! nicole was such a wonderful host we couldnt have asked for a better time. i would definately come stay here everytime i came to ketchikan!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 June 2009

My sister in-law and I found this gem quite by accident, best accident I ever had! We went to Ketchikan to research family history. Jim and NIcole made us feel like old friends. Their Inn is five star in our book!!! Our room was large and beautiful, they furnished everything a traveler would need on the road. The views from all the rooms were fantastic. From our deck we saws whales, eagles and seals. My eyes could not believe what they were seeing. I went to sleep at night watching the north harbor light blinking green and white. Watching the cruise ships, ferries and local commerical fishing boats go by was an added treat. My sister in-law has traveled all over the world, she said this was the best place she has ever stayed. Nicole and Jim were very helpful in giving us directions to various places of interest. They made our trip the best ever!
I have waited many years to go to Ketchkian and I was not disappointed. Be sure to check out Family Air for a float plane ride and George Inlet Lodge for a crab feast also.

• Stayed: June 2009
1  Thank RNinOR
Reviewed 12 June 2009

Beautiful views of ships and planes entering Ketchikan are only part of the greatness of this place! The hospitality is magnificent with a great DIY breakfast with great views there as well. The host and hostess treat you like family and are very accommodating with suggestions etc. Located two miles north of the center of the city , it is best to have a rental car which you should have anyway. Be sure to visit Ward Lake and take a nature hike around it. It is only a mile or so away. This is THE place to stay in Ketchikan!

1  Thank netrip13
Reviewed 9 June 2009

Following our Cruise West cruise we had two nights in Ketchikan and decided to stay not at the recommended hotel, but at the Black Bear Inn. Knowing that we would be cramped on the ship we wanted more than just a hotel room for our last two days. The Black Bear Inn is just fabulous. The rooms are spacious. The owners, Nicole and Jim make you feel like long lost friends. The hot tub overlooking the water is soooo very relaxing. They have lots of options to choose from for breakfast and snacks galore. Each room has a balcony or porch with a refrigerator. The only thing that keeps it from being perfect is it's too far from Florida for us to visit for long weekends. You will need a rental car because it's several miles from the docks, but you need a rental anyway if you really want to explore Ketchikan, which I highly recommend.

Reviewed 17 May 2009

This Inn has everything Alaskan in it to make you feel like you have really "Arrived" in the Great State!! The artistic touch to this place is just like going to an Alaskan art gallery. The owners, Jim and Nicole Church are the best hosts we have had at any Inn we have EVER stayed at. Jim's great grandmother was an old pioneer of this area, with a lake named after her even. He is full of old history stories that will entertain you for hours. They have gorgeous rooms, a fantastic apt, and a honeymooners dream cabin right on the beach. Our sliding glass door went out to a wonderful deck, hot tub gazebo , and a path to the beach. Bald eagles flew 50 ft from me while I soaked in the hot tub. You will think of nothing else but this place for years after your visit. We miss it still. Jim and Nicole are wonderful people to deal with as well....she even offered to do my laundry while I went out fishing!! You can't go wrong with this place!!