“Cape Fox Lodge is the place to stay in Ketchikan”
Review of Cape Fox Lodge

Cape Fox Lodge
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Ketchikan
Toledo, OH
“Cape Fox Lodge is the place to stay in Ketchikan”
Reviewed 12 July 2012

We really loved the location-very convenient. The young lady that picked us up from airport was exceptional. She gave us quick tour of the area and made helpful suggestions. The view from the room was great. We even seen a few eagles in the tree looking out our window. I would recommend this hotel to others.

Room Tip: Water view rooms are worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AngelaBo
, General Manager at Cape Fox Lodge, responded to this review, 16 July 2012
Hello and thank you for your comments. Recommendations to family and friends is the best type of response for us. We are happy you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to your next visit to Ketchikan and Cape Fox Lodge.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
los angeles
Reviewed 3 July 2012

Cape Fox Lodge Experience:

When I arrived late in the evening, the check-in lady Sandy was not very helpful. As a last minute thought she mentioned that if I needed help with my luggage to let her know. But it was said under her breath, and in such a way that I could tell, there was no one to help other then her. So be forewarned that there is no elevator and that you will need to ask for help. I, in fact, injured my back, trying to carry my own luggage up a flight of stairs, and spent the majority of my stay there, nursing my injured back. I did however find a great bodyworker for anyone who needs body work while in Ketchikan.

During my anticipated stay, before my arrival, I emailed them several times with questions. It took about a week each time to get a response. And each time, they said to be sure to email again if I had additional questions. Eventually I just had to call, since my emails were not being returned in a timely way..

The room was simple, clean, and nice. Nothing luxurious, given the money. But I learned everything was overpriced in Ketchikan. A very simple salmon dinner was $30, without anything extra. You would think that since the salmon is caught locally, it would be cheaper, but think again. Even eggs and hash browns were $12.

I had some problems with my room due to the noise. Even though I'd specifically requested the most quiet room possible. Given the fact I also wanted a water view, it's possible that my room was as quiet as is possible.

But there were two noisy events that began about 8 am. The first was the live lumber jack show in town. Apparently when the tourist cruise ships come in, they patronize this loud and very roudy, lumber jack show, with a loud speaker, including a very obnoxious announcer and pre-recorded laughter and applause. This noise echos in the whole town, and was horrible.

I called the front desk and asked how long the show lasted and how often the show occurred. I received 3 or 4 different answers from each person in reception, each time I called to check. One person said it occurs 4 times per day for 90 minutes. Another person gave me a different frequency. Finally I got someone who said they don't know because it depends on when the cruise ships come in and how many tourists there were on the ships who go to the show.

The other noise that began at 8 am some days was a chain saw right under my window cutting trees to clear a path in the forest below the hotel. This was quite loud as one imagines from a chain saw.

I asked for a room change, and none of the people in reception seem to know, or be willing to tell me, what may be a quieter room. They showed me one room that appeared to be over the kitchen, and when I asked if I'd hear the kitchen or bar noise, they claimed they didn't know. So they were not very helpful. Sandy seemed to want to pressure me to decide on the spot if I was changing rooms or not. I told her I'd wait to see how bad the lumber jack show was the next day. So Sandy responded, "so you are staying in your room then." I said "no, I'm waiting to decide based on the noise." She seemed to ignore me, being more interested in controlling her rooms than in customer service.

It rained the entire trip. Finally I decided to put on my rain gear and take a drive up and down the coast, and I"m glad I did. The views and scenery are unparalleled. Just incredible, from the eagles, lakes, ocean views, forests. Beautiful and natural. I wish it had cleared up at least a little, but still worth it.

Watch out getting back to the airport. It is not well marked on the road, and one could easily get on the wrong ferry boat.

Room Tip: Assert yourself and don't be bullied by Sandy
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank LosAngelesRaphaelhom
, General Manager at Cape Fox Lodge, responded to this review, 9 July 2012
Thank you for your comments, we appreciate your feedback because it helps us improve our service. I am sorry your experience did not meet your expectations. Our front desk tries to be helpful and give guests all the information that is available to us.
Ketchikan is very busy with tourists visiting all the activities and it can become noisy with everyone having so much fun. The Lumber Jack show is one of those events, but does not last for very long.
Our restaurant is one of the top rates restaurants for the area. Our prices are competitive and service is excellent. Our seafood is purchased from local commercial fishermen.
We hope you will stay with us again in one of our slower season and enjoy the peace and quiet of Cape Fox Lodge.
Mandeville, Louisiana
Reviewed 19 June 2012

Stayed for a night at the Cape Fox Lodge. It is located at the top of a hill overlooking the city. The lodge is very nice, the rooms large and comfortable. The restaurant is reasonably priced and the food good. The view form the restaurant is lovely and recommended for a leisurely lunch or dinner. You can either take the walking path into town which was a nice walk, or take the funicular that deposits you along the river where there are many shops and restaurants. The hotel also provides a van that will take you to the ferry for those flying out as the airport is across the bay. The one complain I had was the noise from the civic center across the street. Yelling, screaming and drunken antics went on until after 2:00 in the morning when the police were finally called. Otherwise, I would recommend the Cape Fox Lodge.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Krnviv
Reviewed 4 June 2012

Fairly basic as accommodations go but certainly a pleasant facility. The hotel and restaurant staff were outstanding and help to elevate the facility from good to very good. Dinner was good and breakfast was outstanding. The tram was not working the first day we were there and it is a bit of a walk to get from the lodge to Creek Street (the walk is beautiful though). Thankfully the tram was working the next day.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SevenLaker
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 29 May 2012 via mobile

Personnel were very friendly and personable. Loved the view from. My room. The tram was a nice touch. Easy access to town. Room was clean but nothing special of decor. Would be good to sell postcards of the view. Restaurant was pleasant, as was the staff. Food was good.

Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Pakelpen
Reviewed 29 May 2012

This hotel is in Downtown Ketchikan, but up in the nountains. Therefore you get the feeling of being remote while being able to easily walk into town. The tram that goes up and down the mountain makes this so easy.

The hotel is beautifully built on the mountain side and has huge windows. The views from the rooms and restaurant are breath taking. That said, the hotel really missed when selecting furnishings for the rooms. The furniture is cheap pressed wood, and minimal. The mattress must have been the cheapest one they could find, so umcomfortable and flimsy. The rooms are very clean and functional, but some warm touches and better furniture would take this hotel to another level.

The restaurant is nice. Beautiful views, good food, really nice service. A lot of locals come here. They employ a lot of young college students who don't know much about service in a restaurant, but what they lack for in technical skills they make up for in warmth. So you can overlook things like not knowing how to properly serve crab legs.

The people who work in the hotel are very nice and helpful. Hardly professional, they were wearing jeans and sweatshirts at recpetion, stayed seated the entire time they checked me in, and were eating their lunch and checking me in at the same time. But they were nice and so helpful. So again, you really don't mind.

If you're in ketchikan, this is a lovely little hotel.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank lorraine6225
capefoxlodge, General Manager at Cape Fox Lodge, responded to this review, 5 June 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay. Your comments help us improve. We have hired new staff for the summer months and training is our top priority. We hope you will stay with us again and your experience will be even better.

Janet Gideon
Cape Fox Lodge
Lubbock
Reviewed 18 May 2012

We chose this hotel because our cruise line was picking us up there. So it was convenient. Have to say it was not luxurious, but clean and charming. Great view from our bedroom window. Because the hotel is perched up high, they have a small tram to take guests down to the street below that goes right into shopping. Not much shopping going on because it was early in the season, but the people were friendly and helpful. We were having dinner on Friday night and decided to get a dessert to go to eat after we got back from shopping. The waiter pointed out that the dessert would be much better hot (no microwave in the room) so just notify the kitchen when we returned to pick up the dessert at that time! That was after the kitchen was closed. They were very nice and we had a perfect dessert!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family