Cape Fox Lodge
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Inn at Creek Street(Ketchikan)
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
Gilmore Hotel(Ketchikan)
The Cedars Lodge(Ketchikan)
View Hotel
My Place Hotel-Ketchikan, AK(Ketchikan)
Metlakatla Hotel(Metlakatla)
View Hotel
All reviewscable carcreek streetnative arttotem polesgreat viewchef christopherbriespent one night herelobby areain townwater viewroom was largecruise linerooms are nicesmall towngreat place to staydowntown ketchikan
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 April 2013

This is considered the best Hotel in Ketchikan, this is word of mouth by locals so I cna't compare. It sits up on a hill the overlooks the historic district and channel. Out the back window are beutiful snow-evergreen covered mountains, so no bad rooms.
The rooms are average, nothing special, they could use some updating, our tv was tube style if that says anything. They are large thought and have lots of windows and open all the way for ventilation.
The lobby is like a museum of Tlingit culture, the Tlinglits are the indigenous people of South East Alaska. Their artifacts and art are the most beautiful in my opinion.
The resteraunt is pretty good, and there is a coffee shop in the lobby serving locally roasted coffee.
Interestingly there is a tram that takes you down the hill to town or you can walk a nice trail if you like. Yes you can drive if you want but it is not as fun.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
capefoxlodge, General Manager at Cape Fox Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2013

Thank you for your comments, we recently had some of our hilltop trees thinned out and limbed up to improve our view. We're glad you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 27 March 2013

I was recently in Ketchikan on business. I'm in the tourism Industry and frankly find Ketchikan full of not so friendly industry workers and staff. Is this because they don't have to try harder because of the huge volume of passenger that visit via cruise ship every season?

That said I was a pleasure to stay at the Cape Fox Lodge in part because of the friendly staff.

My visit was in the off season-in March-but I was lucky to enjoy sunny weather and a more relaxed atmosphere in the "Gateway City".

I found the Cape Fox Lodge to be a well run hotel perched on top of a ridge over looking the city. Even the "mountain view" rooms were spectacular! The hotel maintains a Funicular that connects the lobby of the hotel with street level. This provides a wonderful setting for the hotel high above the noise and busy "creek street". The Funicular made getting downtown a breeze.

The mostly Alaskan native art collection in the lobby was a wonderfully classy surprise. The hotel also boasts an onsite restaurant and casual yet very comfortable public seating area near a fireplace with great view of the water and not so distant mountains.

The Cape Fox is not a "Grand Luxury Hotel" but it was very comfortable, affordable and friendly.

Great off season rates. Complimentary WiFi and continental breakfast made this hotel a great value in a city full of well worn chain hotels.

The only reason I did not give the Lodge a 5 star rating was the lack of onsite work out facility.

Room Tip: All rooms had great views but the rooms on the city side provide fantastic view of the city, water and mountains.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 February 2013

Perched atop a beautiful hill overlooking the town, this impeccably clean, totally modern hotel has great views to the mountain and the ocean. Friendly people, very good restaurant and free continental breakfast in the winter are a plus.
Excellent access by car with ample parking and easy access to town via a free scenic tram/elevator.
A great place to stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 February 2013

A week end in Ketchican in the winter can be bleak, but this hotel makes up for it. Good rooms, good meals, accomadating staff with recommendations to local sights. The mountain view rooms are cheaper than the ocean view and that's important if it's not raining. The fanicular takes you down to Creek Street with all it's shops, etc. Nice park at the end of the street with fish hatchery, totum center, and fountain.
Caution about the resturant! Portion sizes are huge (and delicious)!

Room Tip: Moutain view rooms are a better value
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 January 2013 via mobile

This was the third time I have stayed at the Cape Fox, all times on business. Before the last time I stayed there I had a bad opinion. This time, I was pleasantly surprised. The front desk staff were very friendly and helpful. They gave me a toothbrush and toothpaste for free, followed through on a wake-up call and were generally helpful. I also found the restaurant staff to be friendly and helpful when they uncorked a bottle of wine and offered me wine glasses in addition to just taking the cork out. The housekeeping staff cleaned my room well and in a timely fashion but they left the dirty restaurant dishes outside my door which didn't get picked up for two days and was rather unsightly. Not a biggie. The Cape Fox also now has a continental breakfast and free coffee which is a major improvement for the hotel. Overall, it was an enjoyable stay. I would mention to everyone to keep an eye on some restaurant staff who bring room service to your room. Last spring I stayed here and ordered room service and when the kid brought it to my room I paid in cash and asked for change so I could tip him. He had to go back to the restaurant to get change and when he came back I tipped him 20%. Later, I looked more closely at the bill and they had already charged me 18% gratuity. Not cool. Moral of the story-they add gratuity to the room service bill! All in all, this stay was very nice and I will stay at the Cape Fox again. They also have toiletries that smell awesome!

• Stayed: January 2013
capefoxlodge, General Manager at Cape Fox Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2013

Thank you for your comments. We listen and improve. We're happy your recent experience at Cape Fox Lodge was a good one. The contenintal breakfast is new and just for the winter season, through your feedback we know it's sucessful.
The Staff and Managment at Cape Fox Lodge.