“Beautiful lodge, I just wish I could give it a better review...”
Review of Cape Fox Lodge

Cape Fox Lodge
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Ketchikan
Quito, Ecuador
“Beautiful lodge, I just wish I could give it a better review...”
Reviewed 28 November 2013

Cape Fox Lodge is beautiful for sure and I am hoping that what we experienced was just a bad day for them. We stayed at cape fox one night after finishing an Un-Cruise (which was wonderful). Cape Fox handled our transfer well; however, when we got to the room it had dirty washcloths hanging in the bathroom and used towels on the floor. I understand that when ships come and go it must be incredibly hectic but we had to call three times to have someone come get the used towels. Also, the restaurant there has excellent food but the service is terrible, with the rudest host I have met (he looked about 14 so maybe it's a maturity thing?) The other employees we met and the receptionist at the lodge were helpful and accommodating. I would still give this hotel another chance if I were up there again because as a person that has worked in the seasonal industry, I understand that sometimes just one employee having a bad day can reflect on an entire company. Better restaurant staff and cleaner rooms are the only two suggestions I have for the lodge- the lodge is beautiful though!

Room Tip: Rooms with an ocean view are worth it! Beautiful view from the lodge- I wish we had a room in the ac...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
JanetCFL, General Manager at Cape Fox Lodge, responded to this review, 29 November 2013
Thank you for writing a review, your comments help us improve. Yes, summer is a hetic time at the Lodge, but that is no excuse for what you experienced. It is our policy to check the rooms before a guest checks in so this should not have been missed and I am sorry this happened to you. I am glad you enjoyed the food in the restaurant and we hope you will visit us again so we can provide you a better stay.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Kasaan
Reviewed 2 November 2013

I've been staying at this hotel for years, and the service is great, the staff very helpful and accommodating. The courtesy van driver very willing to pick me up and take me wherever and whenever I need to go in town. The view from all of the rooms are great, whether it is of the mountain or the water front. The food and service in the restaurant are very good, as usual.
I love all of the artifacts in the display cabinets, and the whole atmosphere of the lodge. Being uphill from downtown means that accessible via tram up till midnight, ( or via a long stairway after midnight ), it's an easy walk to the nearby night spots. Ketchikan is small enough that with the courtesy van, a rental car is not usually needed, unless you plan to drive to the far ends of the island. The beds are comfortable, and with both microwave ovens and fridges in every room, plus excellent room service, it's an ideal place to vacation or honeymoon. All it really needs is a ball room / dance floor, and the meeting room also serves as one, on prior ar-rangement. The only things is lacks are a business center, and fitness center and a pool, but there's a pool and recreation center with fitness center close by.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are good, and the ones in the main building are the most convenient. The bottom m...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Potomac, Maryland
Reviewed 2 November 2013

I must admit we didn't stay at the lodge but we did take the gondola up from the lower streets to the lodge (only a couple of bucks to do so). We enjoyed the small display of items from Alaska, I guess you could say a 'mini-museum' and the totem poles on their property as well. If we were staying overnight in Ketchikan would spend the night here without hesitation.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
glenayre, port moody
Reviewed 16 October 2013

While in Ketchican, we took the short trip up by gondola to this lodge. From the gondola we got a really good view of Ketchican & our cruise ship, HAL Statendam, at the dock On the grounds is the excellent Totem Circle called the "Council of the Clans" carved by Lee Wallace. In there lobby & in the loft there is a well displayed collection of Native Art & Artifacts.
At their restaurant, we also enjoyed a "bite to eat" by ordering there most famous delicious seafood chowder & coffee.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed 6 October 2013

The Cape Fox continues to be a special place and a wonderful gateway to Alaska. It has a warm feel to it, comfortable beds, nice bathrooms, outstanding views and the best ride in town to take you up the hill, for free when you are a guest (on the funicular). If you don't know what a funicular is, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funicular. In this case, it is a single car, not a dual system, with a counterweight moving up and down as the car moves opposite, up or down.

I have been staying at the Cape Fox for years. The only thing I can say is that some of the facility is starting to look well used ... scratched wood and walls. But overall it still deserves an excellent rating.

Restaurant is good, slightly expensive. I prefer to go into town for dinner. But the view is to fantastic! So if you want ambiance ... eat at the restaurant.

And of course if you're having a meeting next door at the convention center ... what a perfect place to be.

The Cape Fox will always be my #1 preference for lodging in Ketchikan (unless I'm doing something out near the ferry dock, in which case I'll stay at the Best Western).

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 3 October 2013

A comfortable and quiet place to retreat for anyone wanting to enjoy downtown Ketchikan during the tourism off season. The third floor suite offers amazing views of Creek Street, downtown Ketchikan and the Tongass Narrows

Room Tip: Stay in one of the two suites!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Craig, Alaska
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Their beds are extremely short. If you are over 5'5'', your feet will hang over the bed. Shuttles are free and they drop you off where ever you wish and they are suppose to leave every 30 minutes, :20 and :50 after the hour. Except for us, while we waited for a ride for a full hour. Didn't have much time in Ketchikan and a hour was wasted because of lack of communication between driver and the front desk. Food at Cape Fox Lodge, or at least the breakfast, splendid. The host are quiet young and they extremely lack respect for customers. The waiters work hard, but cooks got wrong order and had to wait an extra 30 minutes. overall stay- pleasant.

Room Tip: If you are from Alaska and seen it all, pick mountain side view, $10 to see the ocean that you see e...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family