“Convenient location”

Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Ketchikan
Columbia, Maryland
“Convenient location”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We stayed two nights at the Cape Fox Inn in July. It is a good choice and a great location. Very handy to the shopping area downtown on Creek Street. Easy to walk the downtown and/or walk to the totem park, cruise ship area, etc. There is a lift that goes from their location, which is up a hill, down to the town – free to hotel guests. The rooms are nice with frig and microwave and there is free internet. Showers were excellent and the rooms were clean. Crista the driver from the ferry was most informative and the front desk staff was very helpful. The restaurant serves excellent food. We were there for four meals (two dinners and two breakfasts) and all were very good.

The Inn also has a wonderful historic display throughout the lobby. It gives some very interesting local history with examples of marvelous native artifacts.

Some of their rooms face the water and the town below and some face the hills behind Inn. My advice would just be to be careful if you go for the hillside not to get a room in the back which is above the driveway as there can be comings and goings during the night as it is the main exit/entrance point and it is nice to have your windows open. It rains a lot in Ketchikan and there is no air conditioning.

Also, we had more luck contacting the lodge by using “contact us” on their website, as our e-mails to their e-mail address went unanswered. We recommend you use “contact us”.

Room Tip: As above -- Some of their rooms face the water and the town below and some face the hills behind Inn...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Donna F, General Manager at Cape Fox Lodge, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear Michelle S

Thank you for such a nice review of our Hotel and Staff. I will be sure to share it at our next staff meeting. Crista loves to talk about her home town and we are very fortunate to have her working here. You are correct there are NO Air Conditioners in Ketchikan. One seldom equates a Hot Summer with Alaska but the cool nights make up for the warm days.

I agree as you noted, the few dollars extra for a Waterside room is truly worth it. Thank you for letting me know about the issue with the website. I will have our IT people look into that immediately.

Thank you once again for your kind words, respectfully yours

JMW-GM-CFL

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
California
Reviewed 16 August 2014

The lodge is in a great location and you can get to Creek Street and town easily. Rooms are basic rooms.
RESERVATIONS are HORRIBLE.. Hard to get in touch with them and my reservations were messed up two times. They have a new GM there that was totally rude and argumentative. I reserved 2 double rooms in the main lodge for 4 guys going fishing. They only had one double and one king after almost an hour on the phone and printed confirmations that were correct. I was told they were sold out ,,, pretty much too bad.
While James eventually got it corrected it was not before about 45 minutes of the worst customer service I have had in my 40 years of very extensive travel. So the hotel is fine and maybe someday they will get their reservation system updated but poor customer service and being rude is not excusable. On a positive note the food and beverage manager Tim was GREAT... nice guy and treated us well , very welcoming and caring...

Room Tip: Book the ocean view room .. if it is hot watch out there is no A/C
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Dear California Don 1

Thank you for recognizing the exemplary service from my staff. I happily will forward your comments to Tim. Thank you for your many years of return visits I understand this was your 7th year.

Thank you also for your candid review of our computerized reservation system. I totally concur with it.

Normally, when a guest books a specific room type within our computer system that is the type of room assigned to that guest. Regretfully however, all too often our guest’s decisions are driven by rate and they will choose their accommodations based on rate instead of selecting what they really require; they then attempt to finagle changes after the fact with an unsuspecting front desk agent.

I truly am very sorry you had such a problem with our reservation system and assure you we are working on ways to mitigate these issues as it seems to be a common problem.
Austin, Texas, United States
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We stayed at the Cape Fox Lodge at the end of a nine-day small-boat cruise from Sitka. The day we arrived they'd had a very large group of VIPs (with assorted entourage) check out very late and because it was raining and cold everyone checking in showed up right at 3pm - and most of the rooms were not ready. We sat in the very comfortable lounge area and watched the staff jump through hoops and in some cases running to get rooms ready and made efforts to accommodate people who were coming in. WE were pleased with the customer service but a few others were vocal about the late check in - not realizing or caring that the hotel had been put in a bad spot by a group of out-going guests. The food from the restaurant was good (make early reservations or expect to use room service) and prompt. It was very conveniently located for a quick trip down to Creek Street for shopping or simple wandering downtown.

Room Tip: Pay for the water view.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear Chris P

Thank you for your kind words about my staff and your understanding about the situation with the late check-out regarding the group. It was indeed challenging. With only 72 rooms in the hotel, having a 68 room turn over in 3 hours can be daunting but my staff did a remarkable job and we appreciate your noticing.

Thank you also for the note about the restaurant I will look into that and see if there are things we can do to expedite service.

Additionally, as you mentioned our one of a kind “Funicular” (Hotel to Creek Street Tram) is perfect to set our guests street side to start their day. We hope to see you again at the Cape Fox Lodge

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We accessed Cape Fox Lodge using the tram located in Creek Street. It provided a terrific view of the harbour.
We booked a king bed mountain view room which was on the second floor in the main building. It had a large room with a fridge and microwave and a good sized bathroom. Unfortunately there was no bench in the bathroom to store our toiletries and we had to put them on the floor. OK for the 1 night we stayed but inconvenient if we were staying longer.
It was cool and raining on the day we arrived but even then we had to open the widows to cool the room down because there was no air-conditioning. Don't be fooled into thinking AC is not necessary in Alaska.
We used the laundry ($3:50) on site and there was an iron in the room. Unfortunately the ironing board cover was not attached and kept slipping off.
We had an evening meal in the restaurant which I'd recommend. When we were there smoking was permitted in the adjoining bar but I believe this is about to be changed.
There is easy access to Creek St and beyond.

Room Tip: A view of the harbour would be best.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Donna F, General Manager at Cape Fox Lodge, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear Impulsive Perth

Thank you for your comments and suggestions they make a lot of sense, as the new GM here I can assure you that I will look into them. As a new transplant from Florida I agree I miss my AC however the few days that it is needed is far outweighed by the magnificent days that it is not.

Thank you once again for your review and I hope that you get to visit us again for I assure you the next time your suggestions will be all addressed.

Respectfully yours, JWM-GM-CFL
Reviewed 7 August 2014

The Cape Fox Lodge has a great view on Ketchikan and the harbor - it is worth to invest the extra money to get a room with a view. The rooms are well equipped but no luxury. The tram is a nice little extra and rather exceptional - not many hotels have something like this. The hotel is very much in the middle of the city but still you do not see all the tons of tourists that are coming from the cruise ships every day in the summer time. We would always come back to the Lodge when back to Ketchikan and we already stayed there for three times

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Cosmonaut01

Thank you for such a positive review and thank you for your continued patronage we truly appreciate our returning guests. Please stop by and introduce yourself the next time you are in town as I love to meet our regular guests.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 4 August 2014

This hotel is very nice. It has a very authentic look and feel to the native culture. The restaurant is reasonably priced with very good food. There is an incline that is free for guests to ride down the Creek Street. There is a nice view of the inside passage from the hotel along with nice views of the surrounding mountains. I would recommend this hotel to everyone!

Inside, they have a lot of nice native art along with explanations of it. It is a mini museum of sorts. Next time I got to Ketchikan, I would definitely stay here again.

Dear Daniel O

Thank you for your kind words about our Hotel. Our guests really like riding the Tram and I concur the view from the Restaurant is spectacular as is the food. We would love to see you again please let us know the next time your travels bring you this way.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

It looked like an exceptional hotel which I had hoped to stay at. We made the reservations 5months earlier, and when we arrived, a woman who said she was just the clerk, told us they were overbooked so sent us to another hotel. She offered no explanation but said it was the way it was. They paid for it, and it was OK, but not the Cape Fox. At the end of a long day, we expected to check in without having to drive to the ferry terminal for another hotel. Very disappointing.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Donna F, General Manager at Cape Fox Lodge, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
I truly apologize for any inconvenience it may have caused you to be moved to another hotel during your stay in Ketchikan. It definitely is not how we like to conduct business.
Thank you for letting us know that you did not receive an adequate explanation as to why. We will use your comments as a topic of discussion in our training meetings.