“Average to say the least”
Review of Gilmore Hotel

Gilmore Hotel
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Ketchikan
Reviewed 27 September 2011

The hotel is located in a good enough spot. All it needs is to be renovated and put some staff on that know what they are doing.
Our room was comfortable enough the bed was fine and it was clean. However it was facing onto the road and it was a tad noisy. We also had the clanking heat pipes which forced us to change rooms. Do not stay in a room with a heat pipe going through it.
We had a few other minor issues pop up and when we went to speak to reception staff each day they all said they don't know how to fix it because they just worked there. What the??? Clueless they were.
Im not sure where else there is to stay in Ketchikan but I'd be looking before coming here

• Stayed: September 2011
2  Thank OzSaltyDogs

Reviewed 24 September 2011

If you don't need a hotel with a lot of bells and whistles then The Gilmore Hotel is the place to be. I stayed for a week on a recent vacation. The hotel is dark when you first walk in but that adds to the charm as you walk through the little lobby and up the stairs.

I never took advantage of the continental breakfast or any of the other amenities offered. The only issue I had was a lack of a clock in the room so I remedied that by buying a very cheap travel clock for my stay.

The housekeeping staff was very friendly and gave me recommendations for places to check out that weren't going to be overun by people coming off the cruise ships.

The walls are thin but you can't hear the actual conversations of your neighbors but more like mumbling. The windows make a lot of noise when you open them due to the nature of the chain mechanism.

If you are on the second floor on the south side of the hotel, you have the view out your window of the next building but the advantage to that is that you don't hear the traffic and noises coming from the local bar at night if you were on the front side of the building.

My room was near the laundry room but I got used to the sound of the drying running as the week went on and it didn't bother me. I was also conveniently close to the soda and ice machines. The room I was in was very basic and that's all I needed.

Some people have mentioned a mildew or mold smell but my room didn't have that issue. When it's raining there does tend to me a damp-like smell but it disappears with the weather. It should be mentioned that The Gilmore is right across from the docks and that Ketchikan receives a lot of rain throughout the year which might contribute to some of these smells.

The Gilmore is located in the main downtown area which makes it close to all the shops and other tourist places around town. The price was right too since I was on a budget.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 September 2011

I was excited to stay where all the action in town was, but after returning home I found myself exposed to bed bugs. Once I went through my entire home, bed, suitcase, and apparel worn on my trip, I was 100% positive I was a tasty buffet to the little fellas at this hotel. If you must stay at this hotel, please check the bed as soon as you check in!
Among the bed bugs, the walls are so thin I heard the drips of the neighbors showers and sinks! Big disappointment.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank NMtravelGirl
Reviewed 18 August 2011

Again, I will always pick a local hotel over a chain, and the Gilmore is a great local choice - as a Prince of Wales resident, the price can't be beat for my frequent stopovers. The regular rooms are decent if you are on a budget, and with free wifi and transport to/ from the ferry and airport (and breakfast!!) I would never stay at the Cape Fox if there is a room open here. However, if you have the extra 5/10 bucks, the luxury rooms here are actually worth it (feather beds!) ANC still cheaper than a basic room at the Cape fox. I would also recommend asking the staff for a room off the street, or a "quieter" room, otherwise you can hear heating pipes clanking and get the authentic experience of hearing the local Totem Bar let out at 2AM (unawesome). I like room 218 best out of all the ones I've stayed in, although it doesn't have a tub, just shower. Location is great, right downtown.

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank OutsideTravelin
Reviewed 14 August 2011

The Gilmore Hotel is a heritage building and |I knew that when I reserved. I had never been to Ketchikan before,so I chose the hotel because it was located in such a central spot. I knew the rooms would be older and smaller, but.....
We had a queen/queen suite that was two rooms renovated together giving us a sitting area and a seperate sleeping area. The room was so small there was barely room to pass each other. The room was also very dark and even with all the lamps on could barely get enough light to read or put on makeup. There were three windows in our room but leaded windows so no light came in and you looked directly to a cement wall.
The bathroom was extremely small with no shelf to store toiletries and not even a towel rack to hang up wet towels so everything ended up on the bathroom floor or in the sitting area.
On the good side, I will say the beds were comfortable and the room was well cleaned. Even with that, I will stay at a different hotel next time. It just wasn't very comfortable in such a small space.

Room Tip: skip this hotel if your budget allows
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank pkantz
Reviewed 11 August 2011

Kind of Late-Gold-Rush feeling to the place: rooms are comfortable if a bit sparse, the lighting isn't terrific, and my room faced a very thin airspace between the hotel and the next building. But the staff are pleasant and friendly, the continental breakfast is filling, and you're in the middle of everything--for better or for worse!--without having to be on a cruise boat. Given the Alaska prices are typically high, this place gives you your "Alaskan" money's worth. (The shower, after five days in the wilderness, was heavenly!)

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 June 2011

On a positive, the staff was friendly and pleasant. It is also very convenient to the cruise ship piers and related shopping. That is the best thing I can say. The hotel is located on the main drag through town, and the street noise is horrible all night long. The walls are paper thin, so you will know far more about your neighbors than you would ever want to know. The vacuum must have been broken, because the carpets were filthy. Nothing about this hotel would bring me back.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple