“I would stay here again”
Review of Gilmore Hotel

Gilmore Hotel
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Ketchikan
Reviewed 16 July 2012

My Husband and I stayed at the Gilmore Hotel June 22 - June 23, 2012. We would definitely stay there again. The location was great, the room was nice and clean . Everyone we came in connect with was very helpful and accommodating and always had a smile.
Definitely a great place for the independent traveler. Thank you Chandler and Linz.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 June 2012

Booked 3 nights in July on the Gilmore Hotel's website. No problem. Bought airline tickets for inbound, and ferry tickets for outbound legs of our family vacation. Several days later, received an email from Linz, the hotel manager. Due to internet error (slow updating), our rooms were not available, but, she had two smaller adjoining rooms for us. I agreed to the change as long as they were adjoining as we have 2 children. Two days later I get a call from Linz again. Due to slow internet updating, those rooms (the ones I booked through her on the phone) are only available for 2 nights and I would have to find a room somewhere else for the third. GOOD LUCK WITH THAT! Fortunately we found rooms somewhere else. Would have saved some money had I booked there 2 weeks ago in the first place, but she really didn't give a rats a@#. Whether they are liars, incompetent, or have a terrible booking problem doesn't seem to matter to them, they just DON'T CARE!. Make your vacation enjoyable and save some stress, STAY AWAY from this Hotel!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank DonewithBS
Reviewed 4 June 2012

This Historic Hotel is 1/2 In Ketchikan Keep that in mind if your looking for the "Modern" feel of the rooms . I never expected a 5 star hotel, but the "class" of the individuals working at the hotel, bar and resaurant WERE 5 star. The accommodations were far better then I expected the rooms were cozy and the beds were extreamly comfortable, every one from the Restaurant to the hotel were so friendly and attentive. It really turned out to be an amazing vacation and I WILL be staying here again.

Room Tip: The Lux. Queen Room allows the natural sunlight to beam in Making for a wonderful water view.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 May 2012

Check-in is made difficult by the fact that the lobby (?) is maybe 12-15 feet across, most of which is taken up by the check-in counter and a bench. Anyone attempting to walk by you will have extreme difficulty because there is no room for you, your luggage, and another person to walk by. The desk clerks were friendly enough, even asking if I needed help to get my luggage up the stairs. Foolishly, I said no, not realizing that I was seeing a landing, not the next floor. So, up another set up steep stairs I went. The rooms were small. I was told that this was a brothel in its day, so it was not a surprise to me that the rooms were small, there was a landing, and also a bench and a couch out in the hallway. The whole layout was odd and poorly lit.

It was obvious that money has been put into new fixtures, bed spread, window coverings (my window opened up to a wall maybe 5-8 feet away) and flat screen tv, but the place smelled old and dirty.

My room was dirty. There were several places where the dust was thick. Those new light fixtures did not work, despite my switching out light bulbs. The sheets looked tired.

I went down to the front desk and told them that I would be checking out in the morning. I had booked for 4 nights. The clerk was friendly enough.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street noise. I believe the bar is a local hangout and the noise from...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank kmesaaz
Reviewed 23 November 2011

I arrived to have the front desk clerk talk to me like a 10 year old, tell me to park somewhere illegal so I get a ticket, then judge me when I went out for a beer. The room made me very claustrophobic, I had a panic attack in the bathroom. I don't usually have problems with small spaces but I think combined with the musty smell and the 90 degree temps due to lack of heat control, panic is bound to happen. The entirely too old bed poked me with springs all night while the resident bed bugs chewed me up. To top it all off, a smoke alarm started chirping in the room next door as soon as I layed down to sleep. I called the mean old woman downstairs, nothing. I did not sleep a wink. The next morning the rest of the desk staff were very unsympathetic when I told them of my concerns. It would have been more spacious and comfortable to sleep in my car and over a hundred dollars cheaper.

• Stayed: September 2011
2  Thank lavega2468
Reviewed 27 September 2011

The hotel is located in a good enough spot. All it needs is to be renovated and put some staff on that know what they are doing.
Our room was comfortable enough the bed was fine and it was clean. However it was facing onto the road and it was a tad noisy. We also had the clanking heat pipes which forced us to change rooms. Do not stay in a room with a heat pipe going through it.
We had a few other minor issues pop up and when we went to speak to reception staff each day they all said they don't know how to fix it because they just worked there. What the??? Clueless they were.
Im not sure where else there is to stay in Ketchikan but I'd be looking before coming here

• Stayed: September 2011
2  Thank OzSaltyDogs
Reviewed 24 September 2011

If you don't need a hotel with a lot of bells and whistles then The Gilmore Hotel is the place to be. I stayed for a week on a recent vacation. The hotel is dark when you first walk in but that adds to the charm as you walk through the little lobby and up the stairs.

I never took advantage of the continental breakfast or any of the other amenities offered. The only issue I had was a lack of a clock in the room so I remedied that by buying a very cheap travel clock for my stay.

The housekeeping staff was very friendly and gave me recommendations for places to check out that weren't going to be overun by people coming off the cruise ships.

The walls are thin but you can't hear the actual conversations of your neighbors but more like mumbling. The windows make a lot of noise when you open them due to the nature of the chain mechanism.

If you are on the second floor on the south side of the hotel, you have the view out your window of the next building but the advantage to that is that you don't hear the traffic and noises coming from the local bar at night if you were on the front side of the building.

My room was near the laundry room but I got used to the sound of the drying running as the week went on and it didn't bother me. I was also conveniently close to the soda and ice machines. The room I was in was very basic and that's all I needed.

Some people have mentioned a mildew or mold smell but my room didn't have that issue. When it's raining there does tend to me a damp-like smell but it disappears with the weather. It should be mentioned that The Gilmore is right across from the docks and that Ketchikan receives a lot of rain throughout the year which might contribute to some of these smells.

The Gilmore is located in the main downtown area which makes it close to all the shops and other tourist places around town. The price was right too since I was on a budget.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo