“Do not stay here..”
Review of Gilmore Hotel

Gilmore Hotel
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Ketchikan
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Checked in paid 96 dollars for the room.The first room they sent me to smelled so much like rotten fish I almost thew up.I was then given another room w itch no ac it was so hot I had to open the windows which made it better and then went to sleep.When I woke up the next day I was itching like mad from bug bites all over me at last count it was 64 bites I am miserable .I have scabs all over my body from scratching I look like a leper.I have been in Alaska for the past 5 years and I'm used to being robbed by the local hotels but this was by far the worse place I have ever stayed it was dirty and the place stunk.I have stayed in better hotels in the phillipines for 5 dollars a night.My advice is if you go to Ketchikan take a cruise ther and sleep on the boat.

Room Tip: Don't think ther is one
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank barryadamar42

Reviewed 19 August 2012

Old stuffy rooms with some rooms where the view is the next building wall 6 feet away
You can speak to your neighbours through the wall
Service pathetic
If you stayover they ask or you need any room service
Like you want to clean up for $170 a night!!!!
No service manager available on Sunday 19 august
Room not cleaned at 16h00
?cleaning lady left

Never ever again
Booked 6/12 ago
No aircon no ventilation
Warned by check in lady room can get toasty
When asked about waiting for a manager was told have a blast while waiting
No skills to deal with customers

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank kabouter1955
Reviewed 17 August 2012

! We arrived to find they had given our room with 2 beds away even though I had written confirmation of 2 beds. They compromised and gave us a different style which worked for us & would have been ok with except it was now on a different floor than our friends instead of next door & worst of all it was at the back of the building above the kitchen. Since they leave their kitchen windows & back door open all we heard was the banging of the trash lid in the alley the recycling & dishes banging around until 1 am every night. At one point I could even hear the staff on the smoke break profanely discussing how wasted they were the previous night. I politely called the FD to request they at least shut the door since we had a 3 am ferry & were attempting to get some sleep but I was told that they needed to leave it open to take the trash out. ( really ? From 9 pm - 1 am!) Even with our windows shut it was ridiculously loud. Our family (including our 3 yr old) got virtually no sleep.
On a positive note the shuttle was nice and the hotel location was very convenient...JUST BE SURE YOUR ROOM ISN'T IN THE BACK OF THE BUILDING!

Room Tip: If you gets the "ocean view" all you can really see is the cruise ships but it is way bett...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank EagerAdventurer
Reviewed 9 August 2012

We stayed at the Gilmore in July 2012 for 2 nights. We arrived very late from the Alaska Ferry and we were tired and just wanted to sleep... this was the beginning of our 2 week vacation in SE Alaska. When we turned down the sheets there were hairs on the linens. It looked like the sheets hadn't been washed, or perhaps washed poorly. We went down to at least ask for new pillowcases (which we got). Savannah at the desk was very nice and helpful. Back upstairs, we found that the door wouldn't close and latch so down we went again to get another room (luckily there was one!). The sheets were okay this time, but overall, we'd have to point out that the room was really grungy... you'd feel uncomfortable walking barefoot on the carpet and you'd not even want to place your bags on the couch.
The Gilmore has some history and there's nothing wrong with a place having character, but there's no excuse for a lack of cleanliness.

Room Tip: There's a lot of rowdy bar noise from out front.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PhilG1955
Reviewed 3 August 2012

Three story walkup (no elevator), but friendly and old world construction privacy between rooms. Annabelle's bar and restaurant serves superb clam chowder as well as a good breakfast for guests between 6am and 9am. A great stay at a very reasonable price.

Room Tip: Ask for water side on the 3rd floor.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 July 2012

We had a very good experience here. A van picked the four of us up promptly at the ferry terminal after we called. The room was comfortable and clean. The beds were particularly comfortable. My kids loved the fresh-baked cookies in the lobby. The staff was friendly and helpful. We were able to store our bags when we needed to. The complimentary breakfast was appreciated. Location can't be beat. It's not a fancy place, but we would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 July 2012

My Husband and I stayed at the Gilmore Hotel June 22 - June 23, 2012. We would definitely stay there again. The location was great, the room was nice and clean . Everyone we came in connect with was very helpful and accommodating and always had a smile.
Definitely a great place for the independent traveler. Thank you Chandler and Linz.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple