“A bit of history”

Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Ketchikan
Seattle, Washington
“A bit of history”
Reviewed 29 August 2013

The rooms are time-worn and small, but the location is great, and the staff was super-friendly and helpful. Above-average breakfast, and having Annabelle's on the premises made up for the negatives. I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Loved Ketchikan. Didn't love the Gilmore. Quaint building; good location. Out-dated plumbing, wiring, HVAC, dirty carpet...the list could go on. WiFi only available in certain spots in hotel. Plenty of noise from guests due to poor insulation of rooms. Hot water non-existent. Would have gladly paid extra for it knowing up front it wasn't included. Included breakfast was scant. However, the staff was friendly and the fresh baked cookies at the front desk in the afternoons were delightful.
The only real positive for this hotel was it's location in the center of town. Otherwise, IF I were to return I would check out another hotel/bed&breakfast option.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank aquarium-mermaid

Travellers are raving about these Ketchikan hotels

New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 16 August 2013

I like this hotel and I dont like this hotel. it does need some updates but it also has charm - its a great location, and definitely better than the super 8 which is the same price. Staff is friendly and its nice there is a bar and restaurant downstairs. However the walls are paper thin and if you are on the 2nd floor the staff is talking all morning long. there is some part of the kitchen up there for the downstairs and you can hear dishes clanking and staff chattering starting at about 9am till whenever you leave for the day. Overall I think its a great deal and location for ketchikan - even better than cape fox. but it is ketchikan alaska and 3 stars is a good rating.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 27 July 2013

Great place to stay to recreate the experience of staying in a hotel 80-100 years ago, but with better lighting, beds, linens, and towels – and en suite bathrooms. Loved the old staircase, the stained glass, and the lovely old bar/restaurant, Annabelle’s. It was gracious and convenient of the hotel to arrange and cover my taxi to the airport ferry.

Wish I had known that I could book a haunted room – now I must return.

Ketchikan is a charming little town that would be more authentic without the giant cruise ships berthed alongside, but I suppose that revenue keeps the town going.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Flemingsburg, Kentucky
Reviewed 19 July 2013

I wouldn't stay there again. It doesn't look like the photo! Rooms are very small and there is no elevator. We heard people next door all night. Only good thing was the shower. Stayed one night and moved to another hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Brenda S
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 21 June 2013

Perfect location-Yes
Historic-Yes
Clean and comfy-Yes
Amazing friendly staff-Yes!
I travel the world for work and leisure, and when I get to choose my own hotels to stay, I try to make sure they are always historic...and haunted if possible.
The Gilmore is both!.
Debra, the General Manager was so sweet and all the staff were very helpful to my million tourist and non-tourist questions. It is located in the perfect spot of town. I cannot wait to return to Ketchikan again, and when I do, I will stay here again for sure!

Room Tip: Book a room with a view if you can! If not, book a haunted room!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
ketchikandeb2013, General Manager at Gilmore Hotel, responded to this review, 1 August 2015
Thank you for your review, we appreciate that you shared your recommendation to stay at our historic hotel, we enjoyed answering all your questions, that's our specialty "Customer Service"
We hope you have a great summer and we get to see you again soon!
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 19 June 2013

We are staying here en route to another destination. We are not one of the 7000 tourists that descend on this town pretty much every day during the cruise season. I usually do more research on where I stay, but for some reason, based on the pictures and description, I didn't this time. Wish I had. I knew the hotel was old--it's on the National Historic Register, but that doesn't equate with beautiful and comfortable. The hotel is right on the main street directly across from the cruise ship harbor and the traffic noise is LOUD. The room is small and has a weird, dank smell. The cost was really high ($120) for what you get. You can see the mountains over the Tongass Trading Co. store....I canceled our second night's stay for the return trip home and made reservations elsewhere.
Positives? The bed was comfortable. It's conveniently located. You call them from the airport and they call a cab to pick you up at the ferry terminal (which is directly across from the airport--about a 5" ferry ride). Staff were friendly.
I don't need the Intercontinental, but....

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple