“Marginal”

Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Ketchikan
Anchorage, Alaska
“Marginal”
Reviewed 29 September 2013

The location is great; but, it's rather run down. The maid service left much to be desired. Our room was in the back of the hotel on the third floor and was dimly lit and musty-smelling. The bathroom must have been added after the original construction because it was the smallest bathroom possible. The windows looked out to another structure and the rocks of the mountain the hotel is built up against. The bar was decent and had good food and service.

Room Tip: Get one on the waterfront side if you want to see anything.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chicadelanorte

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 28 September 2013

My friend and I visited Ketchikan in July, and we needed a room in town. The Gilmore Hotel was our first pick based on price and location. I've read some of the reviews on here, and I honestly don't understand what some people are complaining about. There is no A/C (just open the windows!), it's an old hotel (quite charming, actually), and there's no elevator (so just carry your own bags up the stairs? If you have a medical disability, the staff is happy to help with this.) The staff was extremely welcoming and helpful and to be honest, you get what you pay for. We weren't looking for a 5-star luxury hotel. We needed a comfortable and reliable place to rest our heads, and that's exactly what we got. We chose to spend our time outside hiking around and enjoying the natural splendor of Alaska, not lazing around a hotel! The room had a hair dryer, a coffee maker, and a TV. The hotel also has Wi-Fi, but it was a tad spotty (which was nice to be off the grid). The breakfast was great -- cereal, fruit, coffee & tea, a nice bread selection, yogurt, and juice. Our room was cleaned every day, and there were no bed-bugs or fleas (as another reviewer seemed to think there was.) The only bug bites I got came from outside. The best part about this hotel is the central location (and that Sweet Mermaid's is right next door!) If I were to travel back to Ketchikan, I would absolutely pick Gilmore first!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
ketchikandeb2013, General Manager at Gilmore Hotel, responded to this review, 25 January 2014
Thank you so much for sharing your experience at the Gilmore Hotel, we are happy you enjoyed staying with us. We appreciate that you shared why you stayed with us, your experience during your stay and the advice you give to anyone looking to get a great price, clean room, location. We are happy you got out and hiked our beautiful trails and enjoying the natural splendor of SE Alaska. The Gilmore turns 87 years old this year, the historic beauty takes you back in time, we hope to have you as our guest again soon.
Reviewed 27 September 2013

As other viewers have noted, the Gilmore is old (built in 1927), the rooms are small, there is no air conditioning... This is all true, but if you want a room downtown there are very few choices. Over 95% of visitors to Ketchikan bring their rooms with them on cruise ships. Some tips on the Gilmore--the rooms in front can be noisy in the mornings because it is on Front St. and there is a lot of bus traffic picking up cruisers. The rooms in the back have a view of the wall of the building next door but they are cooler and not as noisy. The staff is friendly and helpful but especially at busy times, a bit disorganized. There is no elevator, so get some help if you are on the third floor. Our joke was that the stairs was the fitness center. Breakfast is included but very basic (coffee, cereal, rolls..) nothing hot. Annibel's next door is the best restaurant in Ketchikan.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Cedar Rdige,Ca USA
Reviewed 3 September 2013

5 of us traveled to Ketchikan on the start of our 2 week Alaska journey. We enjoyed the short ferry ride across the river from the airport. Got a taxi to town and settled in at the Gilmore. We all liked
the old fashioned decor and that it has charm- not a new plastic trendy place. Our beds were comfy, and we overlooked the street which was fun to people watch. Annabelle's bar and restaurant were right downstairs, which was nice as we were only staying 1 night. If you are looking for 5 star hotels, stay else where and miss out on what life was like a few years back!

Room Tip: Need to mention all the rooms are upstairs and you have to carry your luggage up- bonus exercise!!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
ketchikandeb2013, General Manager at Gilmore Hotel, responded to this review, 28 December 2013
We truly enjoyed the 5 of you staying at our Historic Hotel, it's such a pleasure to see the joy on guests face as they experience their Alaskan Journey. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts, we are super delighted your group enjoyed Annabelle's, we look forward to seeing you on your next adventure to Alaska.
Auburn, Washington, United States
Reviewed 31 August 2013

If you go to Ketchikan do not stay here!!!!!!! I'm so chewed up and just returned home and have taken 3 showers and still feel nasty! The staff is very warm and welcoming and enjoyed that but the rooms are very dark and unwelcoming. I do understand it's an old building but they really need to upgrade everything and that includes an exterminator. I asked the staff to change my bed spread as it smelled like a wet dog she apologized even though it wasn't her fault. But that place is not worth your money. Hopefully whatever was chewing on me did not follow me home!! And the restaurant Annabelles that belongs to the same person very expensive and nasty!! I love that city and have been there a few times but this is my first experience in this place and my last time. The wait staff in the restaurant (the girl's) are rude and don't care about you the bartender guy's are awesome. So if you want to hangout in that town stay at the other motels there do not eat at Annabelles go to the Pioneer Cafe on Mission and truly enjoy that town! Make sure the Sourdough Bar is on your love list!

Room Tip: No room at this place is the best!!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
ketchikandeb2013, General Manager at Gilmore Hotel, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
We at The Gilmore Hotel and Annabelle's are sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us, I personally had several conversations with you but unfortunately none of them during your entire stay was on the subject of bugs or poor service in our restaurant. I personally tried to contact you after reading the review you posted, I even tried to reach you at your employment to no avail. Actually I was pretty upset that the review was even posted but I am told that best thing to do is to give a response so I will do my best .
First and Foremost "We DO NOT have bed bugs and I invite anyone to come and see for themselves, We do however have No See Em's in Alaska and when it's summertime it's a good idea to wear a sweater or bug spray when going outside to avoid the bites.

Travellers are raving about these Ketchikan hotels

Reviewed 30 August 2013

If you're looking for a traditional hotel with a cookie cutter room and bathroom, standard entryway and maybe a pool, this isn't the place for you. But, if you want to stay in one of the oldest standing buildings in Alaska, right near the heart of town, on top of a wonderful pub, this is the place for you. I heard it could get quite loud staying here, but it never bothered me. And the great thing about this place is that you can walk to everything!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
We sure do appreciate your review of our Great location and Value! Thank you for staying will us and we are happy you enjoyed your time at our Historic Hotel in Alaska.
Reviewed 29 August 2013

The rooms are time-worn and small, but the location is great, and the staff was super-friendly and helpful. Above-average breakfast, and having Annabelle's on the premises made up for the negatives. I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple