“Great service”
Review of Gilmore Hotel

Gilmore Hotel
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Ketchikan
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I stayed at the hotel for six days whilst I was going to the hospital and found the rooms to be comfortable and the service excellent. The staff were very understanding of my situation went out of there way to help me. I would recommend the hotel to anyone and will certainly be staying there again when I am in Ketchikan!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Gilmore Hotel

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Where do I start? One double bed, which we knew going in, but just two tiny pillows and no room for suitcases. Useless bathroom. Nowhere to hang towels, bathroom fixtures that turn off as soon as you let go of them. One small glass shelf for accessories, no other place in bathroom for toiletries. Shelf mounted very closely over self-turning off fixtures, with spigot reaching less than two inches over sink. No elevator, four flights of stairs to rooms on 3rd floor. Forgot to change out our towels after first night. They were wet of course, because there was no place to hang them.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Barry E
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Make no mistake this is not a chain hotel and there are pluses and minuses to that. We found it refreshingly different. It was clean, our room had a great view across the front and breakfast was OK. Only drawback was virtually non existent WiFi. Location and staff all good. Would stay again for sure.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 June 2014

This isn't a bland, cookie cutter chain hotel, so people used to that type of place will probably be disappointed. We enjoyed the historic feel and fantastic location. Being an old hotel, some details are a little worn, but the helpful staff and reasonable rates offset that for us. You simply can't beat the location downtown, and it was great to have a view of the harbor. One morning we watched a pod of orcas from our window for 20 minutes! I would stay there again next time I'm in Ketchikan.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Pictures online made it look "charming" from the street, but this hotel is very worn out. Kind of stuffy, smelly, dirty and rough. Thought I could deal with one night but I checked out after 30 minutes. Not sure if they refunded the money or not but I did not care...I called the Best Western and was able to get a room right away. Best Western also kind of odd, being tied to a restaurant that kind of overpowers the hotel with smelly food, but much better than Gilmore.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 May 2014

The rooms are old but clean, front desk service is slow and not very friendly. The room was hot with no air conditioning. The hotel is attached to Annabelle's rstrnt, they provided a continental breakfast that was below average.

If you need a place to sleep it's better than being outside.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the street. This way you could open your window. Otherwise, you have to endure...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 January 2014

My Alaska Airlines flight to Juneau from Ketchikan / Seattle ended up going back to Ketchikan (the 630PM seattle flight) -- so I went on GoGo wireless to book a hotel for the night - the Super 8 and the Gilmore came up. I just briefly scrolled through the reviews thinking it would be OK, considering I'll be saving about $30 over the Super 8. I also cross referenced a few other hotel websites, and they too only showed the Gilmore and the Super 8.

Well, panic set in once we landed. I called the hotel to double check my reservation to be told they can't help me, the front desk closes at 10:00PM!!! Sure would have been nice to know this.

The Gilmore should do a much better job and close off their inventory at night before closing - this could have been messy if I had booked this hotel, received my confirmation, and went to the hotel to check-in. Especially with 100 other people hunting for hotel rooms. This was highly irresponsible as I deal with computer reservation systems (travel) and I know some hoteliers who said they can instantly shut down their inventory to the GDS's. So why can't this hotel?

So beware when booking this hotel - make sure to call and verify your reservation AND pray that Alaska Airlines 69 doesn't run late - if they do, you may end up sleeping on the street.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank DiverDown79
ketchikandeb2013, General Manager at Gilmore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

We are very sorry for the troubles you had with the reservation you booked thru bookings.com, we were unaware of your reservation as all bookings.com reservations are sent to us by fax and the fax we received from bookings.com did not arrive until 8:35 am the day after your reservation. We have notified bookings.com of this matter and are working with them to make certain we receive all faxed reservations in a timely manner. We have a policy in place for all late arrivals and if your reservation would have made it to us we would have arranged to have a taxi pick you up at our expense and we would have met you at the front door and checked you right in. The best advise I can offer for any traveler in a similar situation is to always call the hotel directly not only will you most likely get the best available rate but if there are special circumstances, special needs, late arrivals etc you won't need to worry if the hotel has been notified from the third party booking agency. We did not charge you for the room, we tried to contact you but the message was your phone went swimming and you could not answer, we are happy you are alive and well!