Rodeway Inn Edgewater
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Cape Fox Lodge(Ketchikan)
US$309
US$279
Travelocity
Inn at Creek Street(Ketchikan)(Great Value!)
US$142
US$135
  • Restaurant
My Place Hotel-Ketchikan, AK(Ketchikan)
US$251
Gilmore Hotel(Ketchikan)
US$113
US$109
Orbitz.com
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
All reviewsvertical blindsbox fanthe hotel managerrooms are smallyogurtbed was very comfortableinside passagefishing lodgenarrowsshuttleivatownmagicianshipscruiseeaglesferry
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 August 2014

The hotel was clean and comfortable. The bed was a big saggy where (apparently) everyone who has ever rented the room has sat. Our room was a queen-twin 2-bed room and it was a tight fit, but adequate since we didn't spend much time indoors. Temperature was comfortable with a heater and thermostat, no AC, but the sliding door to the small private balcony/patio provided good nighttime cooling on dry days. There was nothing to complain about other than than the bed. The staff was extremely helpful and courteous. The free shuttle moved us around the area according to our needs. The restaurant was a solid performer and if I needed to eat every meal there for a week, I would probably be satisfied with the daily specials and most items on the menu. The three charter boats that work from the dock were up to the task - Pete keeps a tight ship and is a nice guy; Robert provided the best day of fishing for us (and we fished with all three guides on different days.) Option B is to rent the boat they have available ($350/day) and guide yourself. Also, if you just want to catch fish, drop a line off the end of the dock and pull up a nice size halibut and some rockfish - we watched that happen every night we were there.

Room Tip: Our room was upstairs with a view of the water, which made for pleasant evenings and mornings.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank DontSayMyName
Pamela T, Owner at Rodeway Inn Edgewater, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2014

I am sorry the bed was not to your liking. We have memory foam toppers on a majority of the beds. Most people love them, but perhaps you did not. My apologies. I am glad you liked the food, we work really hard to have extremely fresh seafood, homemade desserts, and fresh salads with enough variety for everyone's taste; and if you want something special we will always try.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Nice comfortable bed, pleasant staff, seemed clean. I liked the fan in the room and the breakfast was enough. We didn't have any problems. I haven't stayed in another Ketchikan hotel so not sure of other options. They are all expensive!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank misticbirdwell

I am glad you had a good stay. Let me explain in short form why everything is expensive. We don't have cheap power, cheap construction, cheap labor, or cheap transportation (everything is brought in by barge or plane). The government has tried their darndest to close down anything that has to do with resource development (logging and mining), so that leaves tourism. We have from May to September to make enough money to make it through the winter. We couldn't even get "the bridge to nowhere" which would have tied the international airport on one island to the 8500 person town. Ketchikan is also built on solid rock. It has to be blown up and crushed. There is no gravel. It is all shot rock. Alaska is a victim of misconception. We are 2 1/2 times the size of Texas, 4 time zones wide. When you watch the weather report the contiguous US is all proportional, then they reduce the size of Alaska and enhance the size of Hawaii (which would be a pinprick if proportional to Alaska) and we are stuck out in the Pacific Ocean. So that's why everything is expensive.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

Tiny grungy rooms! Food and restaurant experience negative! This almost seems like a place that has outlived its life and is about to close! We tried it for its proximity to the water. Would sleep in the airport and eat from vending machines before this again!

Room Tip: Try the Cape Fox!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Tom S

I am shocked. We pride ourselves on the cleanliness of our rooms. My housekeeping staff has been with me for 9 years. I do remember being extremely full around July 12, and something may have slipped. We had a couple of teens helping clean on busy days. So sorry. As for the van service, we did have new front desk staff this year and their prioritizing skills of customer needs for the van was suspect. I am sorry you were caught up in it. Hopefully they called you a cab. Everybody's itinerary is a priority to themselves, especially when they have paid as much as they do for coming to Alaska. My staff has gotten better at combining and prioritizing. Once again, I am sorry the experience was unhappy.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

We stayed there one night. Next time, we would pay a bit more and go for one of the other places in town. There was a VERY smelly chair (upholstered) in the room - I thought the terrible smell was coming in through the open window, then finally figured out it was embedded in the fabric of the chair I was sitting on. (funky, long-unwashed, dirty-body smell) I almost threw away my pajamas, and would have put the chair out on the patio for the night if it hadn't been raining.

There were little black fuzzy fibers on the sheet on one side of the bed; I had to pick them off with my fingers. (At first I thought they were bugs, but they weren't.) The bed was a very thick piece of memory foam placed atop a mattress. It wasn't part of the mattress, which leads me to think the mattress is old, and they took a cheap route of replacing them by just placing thick foam on top and covering the whole thing with a fitted sheet. The walls are paper-thin; I could hear the neighbor in the morning ding-dinging in the bathroom -- sounded like he was tapping his toothbrush on the edge of the sink. We heard EVERYTHING. And they started running the very loud vacuum at 8:15 in the rooms on either side of us.

Finally - while it's great that they offer a shuttle, make sure to build in extra time if you sign up for it. We had to catch a plane in the a.m. and signed up the night before (you need a shuttle to take you to the ferry that brings you to airport). But when we went to the office at our signed-up-for time in the morning, she told us the guy was downtown. I'd asked the night before if we needed to call in the morning just to remind them, but she said no, and showed me where she'd written it down. That paper was still on the desk in the morning - but no one paid attention to it. There were three other people waiting for the shuttle to take them downtown when we came down for our shuttle ride. I'm confident that if the van HAD been there one minute before we came down, he would have driven away with those three people and not been there for us, since no one had alerted him to the need to take us. By the time he showed up and all five passengers got on, we left fifteen minutes later than we'd requested to leave. He had no idea he was supposed to drive anyone to the airport-ferry. So if you want the shuttle to catch a plane/boat - build in extra time.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Suelovesbaseball

I am deeply sorry we disappointed you. At the height of the season we are too busy to do the deep cleaning, but we certainly should have done a better job on your room. My housekeepers are immaculate and have been with me for 9 and 12 years each. It is possible that one of the teens who come to help when we are very busy missed the obvious. I can always send a maintenance man and the carpet cleaner up to do the chair in an unused room and bring you a different chair. In summer, it's hard to catch everything but we will always find you a different room or do whatever we can to make the situation right.
As for the van schedule, I did have new front desk staff who may not have prioritized the runs or combined them effectively. On the other hand, many of the tours and cruises leave from downtown. Unfortunately, many guests don't give us the courtesy of telling us when they need a ride. If they are standing in front of you jumping up and down that they must go, the desk person tries to make the best of a bad situation. Hopefully, we were able to get you to the ferry on time whether in our van or ordering you a cab. Once again, I'm sorry we disappointed. Please try us again another time.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

We called many months in advance to book our rooms directly with the hotel. Everything was smooth and professional. When the first of our group arrived, the were told that the hotel was overbooked and they were upgraded to the honeymoon suite. It was very nice, and quickly became party central for our stay. (4 nights).

The owners were friendly and accommodating. They have a shuttle van that will pick you up at the airport ferry, (remember, Ketchikan is on an island), or will take you downtown shopping.

There is a restaurant and bar on the premises. They both have ocean views. It is so fun to watch the boat traffic on the Tongass Narrows. Cruise ships pass tug boats and float planes in the air above. A true Alaskan experience!

Hey Folks: You are in Alaska! Not everything is going to be like home. If you wanted it to be like home, then stay home.

We were fishing and caught a bunch of fish. The restaurant cooked our fish and accommodated 18 for dinner. The fish was FANTASTIC! Absolutely out of this world.

Yes, we will go back again!

• Stayed: June 2014