“LOVE the place”

Best Western Kodiak Inn And Convention Center
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Kodiak Island
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Best Western Kodiak Inn is the best possible place to stay on the island unless you're out "in country." You're right across the street from the harbor and a couple short blocks from "downtown", you don't need a car unless you're heading out a distance - the town is part of the experience of being in Kodiak! Looking for super luxury? Go the a resort in Bali - I stay here every trip until heading out to sea.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank svanhoeck

Reviewed 11 October 2013

First the good

We have stayed at this hotel in each of the last 7 years. We generally stay for 3-4 days, head out to a lodge, stay at the lodge for a week and then return for 6+7 days
In our experience it is the best of the hotels in town
It is centrally located and en easy walk to shops and some restaurants
The staff is very pleasant & accommodating.
They will store your gear as well as your fish
The shuttle service to & from the airport works well
The rooms are clean and the beds are comfortable
The Wi-Fi works well and the business center is open 24--7
The laundry facilities are a big plus for us-less to pack.
On the weekends they have music in the lounge. they play 60-70's light rock & folk which is very good

Now the bad

There is very little parking. One of the parking areas is on a steep incline which can make getting into or out of a car a real problem. Weds Fri & Sat nights are very busy which means that you may need to park on the street & walk a fair distance
The Hot Tub has never been operating when we have been there.
The breakfasts are just adequate. Not many selections with the same food day after day
The selections were more extensive years ago
That music we enjoy has a downside. It carries through the halls
The Chart House restaurant was once one of the best places in town. Sadly we find it has gone down both in selection and quality
The elevator only goes to the second floor which means a walk up & down each day if your room is on the third floor.
If you can accept the fact that the hotel is not as well furbished as a Best Western in the lower 48 and that the hotel has a well lived in look you should enjoy your stay

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Okvik1
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I have spent 1 or 2 nights a year in this hotel for the past 15 years, yes after all this time there has been no upgrades and they are becoming obvious. There may not be a lot of choices for hotels in Kodiak but please maintain your property and don't count on the fact that we don't have many other choices. Also this year the restaurant food was tasteless. Normally this was a favorite place to have dinner, but this year it was very bland. Not just my meal but others also, as well as the appetizers.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
BWKodiakInn, General Manager at Best Western Kodiak Inn And Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2013

Thank you for providing input for the Best Western Kodiak Inn & Convention Center. We are always working on improvements, and within the past few years we have new cornice/drapery in the rooms and also a new bedding package. We are currently replacing all windows in the guest rooms of the first building. We have also made improvements to our exterior and lobby such as rock facing on the building exterior and updated tiling in our lobby, and we will continue with improvements as our staff takes on and completes projects.
I apologize you were not satisfied with the dining during your stay. We have a great chef in place, and I will share your comments with him.
I hope you will stay with the Best Western Kodiak Inn again and find positive changes next year.

Reviewed 1 October 2013

We were only here for a day and wanted to make the most of it so we asked the girl at the desk how we could hire a car and where were the best places to go. Even though she was busy she found the car hire numbers for us and took a map and showed us the best route. She even pointed out where we may see the wildlife and which roads to avoid because of potholes. Breakfast was very good with a good choice and huge portions. The hotel is situated in a good position for the town. The only unfortunate thing was we got in very late, around 9.30pm and the restaurant had just closed and we couldn't get any food. However I'm sure the chef had a home to go to and it was our fault for arriving back so late. We really enjoyed our stay here

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 September 2013

I do not know how the other hotels are in Kodiak but I was told this Best Western was the best. However, there is very little parking and the hotel needs to be remodeled. I was given a handicap room with no tub and was told I could not change rooms because they were booked. People were still checking in 2-3 hours after me so I know that was not true. The best thing about this hotel is the restaurant and free breakfast. I would prefer not to stay here again but not sure if the other hotels are any better which is why Best Western has no reason to want to change.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
2  Thank Eric S

I apologize you were not moved to a different room upon request, we do try to accommodate all requests when possible. Many reservations are room type specific (needing two beds, specifically booking King bedded rooms, etc), and we may not have been able to move you at your time of check-in in the evening.
If you book with us in the future, and the room type you would like is not available online, please call us locally at 888-563-4254, and we will try to make the change prior to your arrival. I will upgrade you to a King Business room if it is open, which has a 42" flat screen TV, a recliner, and hard wired internet. Please email me at info@kodiakinn.com if you have any questions, concerns, or requests.

Susan Johnson

Reviewed 25 September 2013

I got a bug bite on my neck that I think happened in the room on the bed. I'm hoping it was an unruly mosquito and not something else, but it itched fiercely, so I headed for the shower. Went to use the shower and found a towel over the curtain area. Our bed had been made but maybe they got interrupted because it was a damp used towel. Not bad enough to change rooms but our experience at A Channel View B and B later in the trip was so superior I wouldn't ever stay here again. Only stayed here because needed a place without 2 night minimums. Good breakfast provided. Sufficient for one night but not impressive.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Storyteller2013

Thank you for your input on TripAdvisor. In regards to a bug bite you received while on Kodiak Island, I cannot speculate as to the location in Kodiak that you were bitten, as we are close to nature even in town.
I apologize the room was not complete and ready for you upon check-in, and I have spoken with the head housekeeper to make sure we maintain rooms that are clean and ready for our hotel guests.

Susan Johnson

Reviewed 19 September 2013

This is a nice hotel, very clean, and friendly staff. Would recommend to family, friends or co-workers to stay for whatever reason. Located right in the middle of town,but still quiet. Walking distance to the big processing plants if that is your business.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business