“Best in town but bring your ear plugs”

Best Western Kodiak Inn And Convention Center
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Kodiak Island
San Diego, California
“Best in town but bring your ear plugs”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Not a lot of choice in accomodations at this rather remote spot but the Best Western is perfectly acceptable with a friendly, albeit sometimes inexperienced, staff and all the basic facilities that one might expect. Breakfast, which was included in the room price and described as "hot continental" was actually more than that with a good selection. I had no trouble logging on to their wifi signal but my wife, using an iPad had great trouble. Major downside was the noise. If you ask for a room overlooking the harbor, you're also overlooking the main road into town which carries a surprisingly high volume of traffic starting at 5:30 AM. At 5:45 AM the waste collection truck backs up to, very noisily, empty the dumpster which is considerately placed in front of the rooms. And that's not to mention the refrigerator which hums and gurgles all night with no obvious way to turn it off. If we return to Kodiak (unlikely) we'd probably stay at one of the more remote fishing lodges.

Room Tip: If the weather's cool enough to keep the windows closed, pick a room on the 2nd or 3rd floor ove...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cranbury46

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Soldotna
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I stayed here 2 years ago and complained to Best Western about the experience afterwards. I even talked to their rep. Nothing has changed except that there is now a good insect screen in my room window.

Pluses: 1. Window screen. 2. Good hot water.
Minuses: 1. Main stairs slope downward and are a fall risk. 2. WiFi internet stinks. At best it is like dial-up. Other times you cannot even log into it. 3. Really noisy. Can hear people walking or having sex upstairs from my room. 4. With heat set at 50 F, the temperature has remained 72 F with the window wide open. No air conditioning. You have no choice but to leave your window open and hear people outdoors. 5. TV didn't work initially. Volume control still doesn't work after 4 nights. 6. Ceiling fan remote short circuited. Had to remove batteries in order to turn it off. 7. Only 1 bedside lamp for 2 beds. Not everybody can read in bed! 8. No electric outlets near the night stand/bed, and only 2 readily available outlets in the room. 9. No fire door entering into the room. 10. Hallways smell a bit like a locker room in places.

This was probably a nice hotel back in the 1970s or 80s, but it is old and needs a major rework. If you are on vacation and plan to be exhausted so that noise won't bother you, it's probably fine. If you are staying here and trying to work, it's disappointing at best. There are a number of nice B&Bs in Kodiak that I have also utilized in the past. They are much nicer. I will insist that my employer put me elsewhere the next time I work in Kodiak.

Room Tip: Demand a top floor room to try to decrease the amount of noise.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We arrived mid-day on July 16, 2014. I had made an error in my on-line reservation, requesting 1 bed rather than 2. Since my traveling companion & I would have been very uncomfortable sleeping together and there were no rooms with doubles available, it had the potential to be a significant problem for us. While it took the 2 young women, Maureen and Marilyn who were "working the desk" about 30 minutes to find a way to get us a double, they were able to do this and did it with a wonderful, positive attitude. For the remainder of our stay they were incredibly helpful and friendly. I can honestly say that this was the most courteous, friendly assistance I've received in my many years of travel. The room was beautiful and they honored the internet price. I can only wish that I have more opportunities to return to Kodiak. I would definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: If available, choose a room in the back with the hills behind you for the cool summer air
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Chatham, Massachusetts
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We stayed at this in for three nights, two nights before and one night after taking a bear tour on Katmai. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. While basically nothing more than what you'd expect a standard Best Western Hotel to be, the hotel was clean, comfortable, and the food reasonably good. The Internet was a bit spotty. The bar/dining room has a lovely view of Kodiak Harbor as do a number of the rooms, though certainly not all. It's located right in the town of Kodiak within easy walking distance of the museums, shops, and harbor.

Room Tip: If you want a nice harbor view room, ask for the 3rd floor with harbor view. The second floor room w...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Texas
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We stayed here for a total of 3 nights during a tour we were on in the area. It is the best hotel in Kodiak, in my opinion. Remember where you are and expectations should be limited.
Rooms are good, and facilities up to standard. Some maintenance could be enhanced in the bathroom area, as show areas could use some caulking and cleaning up. Service is good and free breakfast is good. You are located across from the Marina, great for boat trips and fishing.
Restaurant, the Chart House is also fairly good. Wi-fi works well and is free.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Gatlinburg, Tennessee
Reviewed 31 July 2014

It is a great hotel located right in downtown Kodiak. You are steps away from St. Paul's Harbor and just a few minutes walk to restaurants. The rooms are nice and clean. You are really close to the small local museums there.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Anchorage, United States
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I could not make reservation online, so I called and booked a two bed room. At check in was told I had a single room and to get a second bed I would need to pay another $60 plus tax. I had confirmed two beds a few days earlier when I called to shorten my trip.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Been to Best Western Kodiak Inn And Convention Center? Share your experiences!