“We'll be back”
Review of Olds River Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kodiak Island
Olds River Inn
Reviewed 20 September 2011

Very nice rooms with everything we needed. The location is far from town but that is what we wanted. Nice access to beaches and rivers nearby.

2  Thank FHSwillamette
There are newer reviews for Olds River Inn

Reviewed 11 September 2011

Stayed there during the first week of September and even thought the weather was typical, the room was great and bigger than any hotel room I've stayed in. The new restaurant was excellent and I highly recommend it. They had this wonderful cannelloni dish that was out of this world. I'm originally from New York and I know Italian food and this was definitely one of the best. Fred and Mary own both the restaurant and the cabins and they have really done a great job. Bravo!!!!

Room Tip: No tips other than if you don't want to eat at the restaurant, buy groceries and eat in the room...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Jwnevin
Reviewed 26 August 2011

We just by chance stopped in to eat a late lunch and were so pleased to find such a beautiful restaurant that had only been open 2 weeks. Although right now the menu is rather limited as they get going - the food was very good and the homemade pie was yummy! The hosts were very helpful and friendly. We will look forward to going back.
Doug and Diane
Long Beach, CA

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DougandDiane
Reviewed 21 August 2011

My 1st trip to Kodiak was fantastic. Cabins and restaurant were brand new and clean. Food was excellent. Plenty of fishing ammenities with cleaning station and freezer. Fishing was the best i have seen in my life. Plenty of salmon, Dolly Vardens etc. Fred and Mary were the most gracious of hosts. I will not hesitate to return.

Dave Finato
Hayward, Ca.

1  Thank David F
Reviewed 10 August 2011

Never had it so good! My Dad, Uncle, Cousin, Family friend and I go to Kalsin Bay every two years to fly fish the tremendous Pink Salmon run which occurs every year on the Rivers and Streams around Kodiak and with in walking distance. We have stayed at other resorts in the area but none of them compares with the Olds River Inn. As a builder myself I was impressed with the quality and detail put into the Cabins and Bar/ Restaurant (store to fallow). Every effort was made by Fred and Mary to make there place as friendly as possible to the sportsman. We had a Beautiful fish cleaning station with a drain so it didn't empty on your feet, a freezer for our fish (there building two walk-ins for the future) and there are plans for a mud room where we can get in and out of or waders with the ability to rinse them off (I am sure it will have a floor drain). The Cabins all had ample room for three, a well tooled kitchen including salt and pepper, large luxurious bathrooms with on demand water heaters (this means long hot showers for all), beads which were very comfortable, TV with satellite and I could go on but I wont.

The bar/ restaurant has allot going for it as well with a large deck on two sides and veranda door which opens onto the deck creating a huge opening great for a party. The place is so large inside that there is an eco. The Bar is toped in Granite (we put that to good use) and the drinks were well poured. No burnt food here it was all very professionally served to my surprise.

After some of the places we have stayed in the past this is a diamond in the rough and I can honestly say that it felt like I never left home.

Fred and Mary thank you for your warm hospitality and attention to detail.

See you in two years,
Mark Norman

2  Thank Mark N
Reviewed 8 August 2011

Beautiful amenities, wonderful restaurant with amazing views, awesome location and generous hosts.

1  Thank alaskanpenny
Reviewed 6 August 2011

Haven't done this kind of fishing in 25 years, will definitely coming back next year for the King Salmon run. Caught so much fish , had to throw back an 80 pound Halibut. Ended up with over 14 species of fish. If you like Salmon, Halibut, and Cod, this is the place to go. Fred and Mary were great and they have a beautiful restaurant and bar that is unbelievable. They make great meals and the charters that he can arrange is a must. Saw Fin Whales less than 200 yards in front of us along with Sea Otters and Seals. Tons of Eagles all over the place. The views are breathtaking They can provide fishing poles and some gear if you let them know ahead of time. Can't wait til next year.

Room Tip: All the cabins are the same quality and very well built, clean and quiet
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends