“Our Blacktail deer hunt.”

Kodiak Adventures Lodge Fishing Charters
More attraction details
Owner description: Kodiak Adventures lodge is a remote fishing and hunting destination.We offer 3-6 day trips to remote Kodiak Island, AlaskaWildlife veiwing includes,Brown bears and whales along with lots of birding to be done. Our hunting oportunities are Blacktail deer,goats and sea ducks.
De
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Our Blacktail deer hunt.”
Reviewed 22 April 2013

Hunted deer with KAL last Nov. Did not see any deer during the week. Despite Larry, AKA, "Scout 1" reminding us that 90% of the deer go unseen and that it's not his job how to teach you how to hunt. Opportunity provided, sure. Seeing clients walk their legs off and seeing few If any deer really upset me. They told me it was their one chance to hunt Blacktail deer and how they looked forward to it.
We asked to go duck hunting, and to bring enough ammo since we were new at wing shooting. He didn't, so we sat and watched birds fly by. Of course we heard about the birds we couldn't hit. I recall a dog retrieve on a bird I knocked down. His dog dropped it on shore so I got up to pick it up. Seeing this, Larry started yelling as I bent over to pick up my bird. I asked if he was yelling at me or his dog and he said me.
As you can imagine, this didn't go over well. We heard him tell his wife to tie off the skiff and when she didn't he went into a rant on "how simple" this was. This put us right into the middle of their argument. I looked at his wife and just put my hands up. Some vacation.
Asked if we could use his kayak to retrieve ducks. No. "I wont do that." Asked if we could return to an area of the bay where we took ducks. No. If it's convenient for him and it saves the transporter gas. Yes.
Had to ask permission daily to use the WI fi which seemed to be down anyway. The packed lunches, bread heels four of six days. Had to ask for a pop after three days while other guests were asked if they wanted wine.
The thing that was cool was the country. The barking of orders at the kids and command of attention got old quick. So, if you spend your legs after about three days, get your wallet out and expect to spend more on fishing, or hunting all with Larry.
Larry was gone the morning which moved into the afternoon of our departure day. When the plane arrived he rode his skiff back to make an appearance. Not even a thank you from him.

Visited November 2012
7 Thank J Z
larry C, Owner at Kodiak Adventures Lodge Fishing Charters, responded to this review, 30 April 2013
This review is being disputed and his 2 others were removed.
For a truer picture of how we run our business and treat clients read all the other reviews.
Thanks

Thusis, Switzerland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“"Dreams come true!"”
Reviewed 31 October 2012

We spent 5 days at the lodge with Larry and Shelly and their boys and had an exciting experience.Fishing for halibut and other fish species was great. Larry did everything we wished and brought us to the places where we could see humpback whales and orcas, seabirds, seals and brown bears. The Carroll family are the perfect host, lodging was comfortable and the food excellent! I have been to many lodges in Alaska and Canada, this was just the best!
Hope to be back, thanks a lot!

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Reto G
larry C, Owner at Kodiak Adventures Lodge Fishing Charters, responded to this review, 16 May 2013
We enjoy sharing Kodiak and the beauty of Kiliuda Bay with our guests. It truly is a spectacular place. The Orcas really put on a show during your stay. We look forward to your next visit with Kodiak Adventures Lodge.
Papillion, Nebraska
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great Trip”
Reviewed 26 September 2012

Beautiful location, clean lodge, excellent food, big fish, nice people. What more do you want? If this is your first trip to Alaska or one of many you will be glad you stayed at Kodiak Adventures Lodge.

Visited September 2012
College Station, Texas
“Gatlin Getaway”
Reviewed 6 September 2012

This trip truly was a getaway for us. I still can't believe we had five incredible days with such beautiful scenery and the peace and quiet that comes from being removed from the hustle and bustle of work and our daily lives. The cool weather was very enjoyable and after returning to the 100-degree heat of Texas I seriously considered asking the Carrolls to adopt me even if just for the summers! All of the Carroll family members were very accommodating and we lacked nothing for our stay at the lodge or for the fishing expeditions. Larry was very patient with me as a non-fisher and provided an excellant guide to the wildlife wonders we witnessed. Shelley provided a new and over-the-top menu with each meal and snack and I had to refuse some of the tasty offerings not because I didn't want them but because I feared I would be "too fat to fly" like the puffins we had seen. We planned this trip for our 30th anniversary and Shelley prepared an excellant carrot cake decorated for our anniversary for our last evening with them. There is always a sense of uncertainty when traveling to such a remote and unfamiliar place but the Carrolls were so knowledgeable and had so much expertise for guiding and hosting that we were able to thoroughly enjoy every minute of our trip. Marilyn and Del Gatlin

Visited July 2012
The Gatlins were repeat guests and we were honored that they choose Kodiak Adventures Lodge as their destination for their anniversary getaway. We have had many guests come and celebrate special occasions like,birthdays, anniversaries, retirements, and even a wedding. We love to help make them special and it is as much a pleasure for us as it is for them. This one was a lot of fun.
Cromwell, MN
“Skrbec”
Reviewed 3 September 2012

Larry, Shelly and the boys provide an amazing experience customized for the maximum client experience. From the moment we arrived via float plane, we felt welcome. The weather was gorgeous, fishing was fun and productive even though we are greenhorns when it comes to fishing. The food is out of this world; Shelly is a gourmet cook that makes some amazing meals including awesome fresh sushi. We never dreamed we would eat that well being at a remote lodge. Larry and the boys made sure we had productive fishing while having fun. Larry definately knows the area as he took us to catch our limit of rockfish in about 20 minutes. We caught some nice halibut (40, 50 & 60 pounders) and salmon (silvers and king) even catching a white-meat king. We only had 3 days of fishing, but came home with a freezer full. We saw whales every day and lots of other wildlife. Definately recommend and we will be back again.

Visited August 2012
Whether a world class fisherman or new to fishing in Alaska, we enjoy sharing our love of fishing and the great outdoors. Always striving to make the experience memorable and somewere they would return to.