“Afognak in August”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kodiak Island
Afognak Wilderness Lodge
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Kodiak Island
Reviewed 27 February 2013

My family and I went for five days in August. We were ruined by the experience. Now nothing else compares to the beauty of the wilderness and the wildlife. The accomodations were excellent and the food superb. Luke, one of the guides and the son of the owner was well seasoned and willing to do any activity we had in mind, from fishing to whale watching to snorkeling. We ate in the main lodge with the owner and the guides each day and experienced the true un-edited culture of the Alaskans who live on the Island. Luke took us to view an eagle nest that was on the side of the cliff (apparently a rarity) rather than in a tree and we observed the mother and baby eagle from a close but safe distance. We saw Arctic Foxes, Seals, Sea Lions, Sea Otters, River Otters, Breaching Whales, Orcas, Falcons, Deer, many birds and of course numerous Bear. Luke has an excellent knowledge of the biology of the area and was an excellent resource. We watched a mother bear with three cubs (from a safe distance) eating a salmon. Luke had his assistants (mostly college students working there for the summer) video much of the trip for us. Thanks, Randolf Family for the wonderful time. We hope to return someday.

Room Tip: There is no bad room. Hopefully, like us you won't spend too much time in you room.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank amy k

Reviewed 30 July 2012

We had a great 4 nights here. The cozy cabin was better that I expected. Josh, "Mac" and Garrett were excellent guides and thoughtful in helping in every way. The food and homemade bread was a big hit...thanks for everything!! If you want to view wildlife, this is the place!!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LucyandKota
Reviewed 18 June 2012

I was here in July 2011 and was lucky enough to return for another 4 nights in mid May 2012.
Truly, it felt like coming home. Weather was fabulous, new cook, same comfy room. Excellent new boat for amazing wild life viewing...lucky enough to see pods of orca, humpback family with breaching calf and fin whales; plus the usual mammals and birds. Due to record cold winter, the sock eye salmon were just arriving so bears were not in the streams. However, saw a large male looking for clams on the beach. Last year's eagle chick had been replaced with a tiny week? old chick. Last year's silver fox has a boyfriend this year. BBQ on Russian beach with stunning sunset is a high light. Great fishing. Packed 50lbs of sock eye to California. All this in jaw dropping beauty.

Luke is an amazing guide and great fun.

Sadly, you fly over huge tracts of logged wilderness that impact on the elk and deer populations. Tsunami rubbish is arriving on the ocean currents, especially styrofoam.

I am already planning my 3rd trip!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank goodtimes1950
Reviewed 25 July 2011

Totally unprepared for wonderful hospitality. Luke who "does what he can" is knowledgable,
and heaps of fun. Great support "acts" all around but the marine and bear life are the true stars. First time fishing netted me a 65lb halibut. Whoo hoo. I even filleted it. Interesting guests, cosy accommodation, great boat and a brilliant bear called Sissy. Didn't want to leave...can't wait to be back.

Room Tip: block out curtains would be nice for. Lodge 2 was excellent the insomniacs
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank goodtimes1950
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Afognak Lodge is a place I thought only existed in my imagination. It is the land before time where nature has not been touched. Soaring eagles, free swimming otters, wild salmon, massive halibut, spouting humpback whales and huge Kodiak bears rule this island paradise.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank dstillwell
Reviewed 26 June 2010

We spent our fourth Alaskan lodge vacation with the Randalls and loved every day. The lodge is capably managed by Shannon with sons Josh and Luke. Each person brings strong skills to make Afognak a well maintained operation. And each will go out of their way to make your visit a success.

This season’s hardworking staff includes a wonderful cook who will brings gourmet touches to each meal. There’s always a fresh bread on the table, and great cookies in the lunch box. The other staff members work hard in all areas, and all are personable.

Our cabin was clean, comfortable, and well maintained. We’d make a pot of coffee early in the morning and watch from the deck as the silver fox, otter, seal, and eagles passed by. Meals are in the lodge where you can spend some time with other guests and staff. You might also share a meal with a bush pilot, as they have an open invitation to dine while they are making a floatplane stop.

Nature viewing was primarily by boat, and allowed plenty of sights… whales, sea lions, seals, otters, and puffins. Inside a cove, we left the boat for a hike along a stream where we saw salmon jumping at the waterfalls. On the return, we came across a couple bears who were catching fish and grazing. Another day we saw a herd of elk, foxes on the shore, and a beaver. Luke is an incredible guide… affable and very knowledgeable about animals, their patterns, and habitat.

The fishing was incredible. Halibut, ling cod (out of season), sockeye salmon, and rockfish (black bass and yellow eye) were in abundance. The fishing boat is a comfortable catamaran with a front hydraulic ramp that allowed easy access to shore. There’s also plenty of room all around the boat to fish from. One day was spent hiking along a stream to fly fish in a pool…. Caught some rainbow trout, including a nice one about 20“.

We brought a couple boxes of well packed fish fillets home. Luke and Josh know how to handle fish. The fish are packed to order, and are double wrapped. They take the effort to use an insulating bag to line the packing box. On the way home, the fish were kept in a freezer locker at Seattle airport overnight, and then went non-stop to the East Coast the next day. Even a two-hour car ride home didn’t put a dent in the quality of the fillets.

Everyone at Afognak Wilderness Lodge will bend over backward to accommodate your wishes. Just ask them.

We plan to return again.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank katek01
Reviewed 23 November 2009

I had the privilege of traveling to the Island of Afognak this summer. My trip there was very pleasant. I have been in a few parts of Alaska before but wanted to experience some of the wilderness areas. So when I was invited to go to Afognak, I was very excited.

My travel itinerary was planned out for me and all went well getting to this secluded island.
I was treated with the utmost kindness and consideration from the first moment. The Randalls made every effort to see that all my needs and desires were met. As far as I could see, this effort was made for each of the 25 to 30 guest that were there during my stay.

The wild life is abundant in these waters and on the island. I went to see the landscape and bears, whales and other animals, not to hunt or fish. Luke Randall knows the country very well and was the best guide. If I am going into a forest with wild animals and I want to see them, I want Luke for my guide. He was so thoughtful and made sure I was able to hike on the trail. He knew where to look for bear and was able to give me lots of safe viewing time enjoying these beautiful wild animals. We also had several days enjoying the whales that were in the bays during August. Even though I don't fish, I did go. Luke helped me and made sure I was successful in hooking a few nice Salmon.

Autumn was able to join us on several of our trips, which made it especially enjoyable.
She shared her time with me. We were able to do some kayaking and see lots of birds and sea life. She is quite knowledgeable about the native flora and fauna.

We enjoyed some very good meals while I was there. I was amazed that we could have such a variety of food in such a remote area. I don't believe we had the same thing to eat any time I was there. Both Autumn and Mrs. Randall contribute to the qualtiy and variety of the meals.

Afognak Lodge is a great place to go for vacation. There is a lot to see and do.
The guides know where to catch fish, see the scenery, or hunt - whatever your reason for going to the wilds of Alaska can be satisfied here. Plus you have the comforts of a
nice lodge and prepared meals.

I hope this helps some of you who might be wondering if this is where you might want to go.

Velia Horrocks