“13 Year old's Best Fishing Experience Ever!!!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Larsen Bay
Alaska's Kodiak Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Larsen Bay
Pasco, WA
“13 Year old's Best Fishing Experience Ever!!!”
Reviewed 4 June 2012

Last Christmas I decided it was time for the bucket list fishing trip with all the Grandfathers, Fathers and Sons. I was looking for something kid friendly, good fishing and 100% Alaska. Well I can now say Allen and his crew at Larsen Bay delivered big time. I had been on one other alaska fishing trip 5 years earlier in Sitka and I can honestly say that this was so beyond superior that I can no longer imagine going anywhere else other than Kodiak Island Resort. If you are looking for pure alaska beauty but still have incredible ammenities this is your place. Allen and his wife April are top notch service from the time you step off the hopper plane in Larsen Bay. They greet you as though you are long lost family and continually try to impress by delivering old fashioned hospitality. Once we arrived at the lodge the first order of business was giving us a guided tour and showing us the impressive waterfront grounds. Next up was our first dinner and I must say I have never had such high quality and quantity of seafood themed dishes on any trip including cruises before. The menu was perfectly cooked every meal and made me realize how wrong I had been preparing seafood my whole life. Thanks so much to Stephen the Cook. Of course the real reason we all come is for the fishing. Allen starts out giving you a leg up by continuing to offer top of the line fishing gear and the nicest fishing boat around. The crew is top notch and deidicated to you catching fish. Even on days when the wind wasn't coopertive and would blow most boats off the water these guys did there homework and found places we could still fish and catch boatloads of fish. Thanks to Joe and Hunter and dog Nell. Beyond catching our limits every single day, If there has ever been an indicator as to how well the fishing was it would be a 13 year old boy who with a eye watering smile declares it " was the best day EVER!!!" and that was without ipods, wii's or gameboys. I will never forget the feeling of sharing something so positive with my boys, life is too short and you can't buy that feeling for any amount of money. I could not reccomend any place more highly than Kodiak Island Resort.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Michael B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed 7 September 2011

In August I traveled with my two brothers and nephew to KIR. This was our first Alaska fishing trip and it was outstanding in every way. Allen and April Walburn are excellent host and wanted to make this a memoriable trip for us. The lodge, a two story log house, was impressive and was like staying in an upscale bed and breakfast. I don't think anyone's house could be clearner than this lodge. The food prepared daily by an onsite chef was delicious. Every meal was a treat.

Out on the boat Joe Walburn, Allen's son, put us on the fish daily without traveling more than ten miles from the lodge. We always fished in water protected by the area mountains and the water and mountians were beautiful. Rafe, the first mate, was a joy to be around assisting us in every way. We caught our limit of most species every day. If the fish were not biting at one place Joe quickly moved us to another location.

Our fish were bled on the boat, cleaned immediatley upon return to the marina and packed away for us for to bring home 100 pounds each of delicious fish. I appreciated the care with which this was done.

The flight from Anchorage to Kodiak and on to Larsen Bay was amazing. The views out the plane window were the most beautiful and inspiring I have ever seen. Kodiak truely is the emerald island. The lodge is set in a remote location in Larsen Bay. Daily we walked up to a stream about a mile from the lodge and saw Kodiak bear feasting on salmon.

All of us agreed we would go back again. It was a memorable trip in everyway.

Room Tip: All rooms are the same and each one is attractive, clean and comfortable.
5 Thank MWAMCC
Stamford, Connecticut
Reviewed 2 September 2011

If you want a memorable fishing experience on a top notch boat while staying in a really high end resort, look no further than the Kodiak Island Resort. I spent a few days there with my 16 year old son this August, and we are still shocked about how great an experience this was. We fished four consecutive days, catching our limit on at least one species, often two, every day. Kodiak's fishing crew was top notch, putting us on the fish continuously, and working non-stop to keep us baited, and pulling in fish. Their all metal boat was great too, and with its catamaran design and roomy sides, it made fishing easy even on windy days or where the crew needed to get past us to help someone land a big one!

The resort, run by Allen and April, is beautiful and you feel more like you are staying at an upscale bed and breakfast with a fishing theme, then at a typical lodge. It is newly built, really well decorated, and the guests have a decent run of the place. It is unbelievably close to the boat marina, making the two minute walk a pleasure instead of racing to prevent missing valuable fishing time. The fishing grounds are close as well, minimizing travel time even further.

Meals were consistently top notch, with a real chef on site notwithstanding the small group of clients that the resort hosts at any one time. Every meal was great, and the service top notch. The crabs were so good that they might make the trip worthwhile even if you didn't fish (and that was four flights in each direction for us).

The vacation is expensive, although I believe its competitive with its peers, and for the money you are spending you get an experience that will hold up well against any vacation. And the location is really out there, at the end of things for many of us, but that only adds to the charm of it all. Because of the location, you can be lucky enough to see Brown Bears, Eagles, Otters, porpoises, puffins, not to mention the salmon swimming upstream. We were lucky enough to see all of these, plus more. Because of its remoteness, you can expect to find the internet coverage sporadic as well, but that can be a good thing!

Net, net, we loved the trip, hope to go back, and would absolutely recommend it for those fishermen looking for that unforgettable experience.

1 Thank Mark R
South Florida, Florida
Reviewed 2 September 2011

After having fished at several top end fishing lodges in Alaska in recent years,our group's view is that Kodiak Island Resort far exceeds the standards of any other lodge we've stayed at.

There are several points of differentiation at KIR. Their 38' catamaran hull boat is the best designed and most stable boat I have fished on in Alaska. The boat crew (Joe and Rafe) and very knowledgable and work very hard to put you on fish. They take exceptionally good care of your catch, bleeding the fish immediately, storing on ice in the hold, and cleaning and packing immediately at day end. The protected waters of Larsen Bay allow you to fish in relatively calm seas despite wind conditions. The lodge is new construction, the bedrooms and individual bathrooms spacious and furnished with high quality furniture, and the family room provides a very comfortable and intimate gathering in the evening. The Walburns provide a high service environment and go out of their way to make you feel at home, with typically no more than 6-8 individuals in camp at any one time.

This was our second consecutive year of staying at KIR and we'll be back.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank dubaytom
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 29 August 2011

This resort has everything you could want for a great Alaskan fishing experience. Our host and hostess, Allen and April, were friendly and made extra efforts to be sure we enjoyed our stay. They even cooked grits for breakfast for us Southerners! Apriil is a gourmet cook and prepared wonderful appetizers and meals for us. Their Lodge is beautiful and very comfortable. Captain Joe and his first mate were great at finding the fish for us, and their boat is the best we have seen for providing a lot of space and comfortable fishing conditions ----even for us senior citizens. We took home 100 pounds of fish filets EACH! I'd recommend this resort to anyone---and I hope to return there myself!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the bay side and you can watch the eagles outside your window!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank tennbells
Cornelius, Oregon
Reviewed 28 August 2011

I decided to go fishing in Alaska this year- and settled on Kodiak Island Resort- partly because of the positive online reviews. After my experience, I can now add my strong recommendation. Kodiak Island Resort is just about the best you can get in Alaska for up-scale resort fishing. The resort offers:

Fantastic fishing in a rugged and beautiful landscape
Top-notch lodge facility and fishing boat
The best service and meals that you can imagine
A warm and welcoming family atmosphere that will make you feel at home

Each fishing day started by catching our own herring as bait. Then the captain (Joe) worked hard to put us in the right locations for the best fishing, and the first mate (Rafe) was a great help with baiting the rods and getting our gear into the water. We had a large catch every day. (Mostly medium sized halibut- which is the best tasting) The only problem that I can report from my visit is a sore shoulder from reeling in so many fish!

One day, we put down a crab trap and let it 'soak' for a couple days- which resulted in a large catch of 'tanner' crabs which we ate in the cook-house one evening. I've never had better tasting crab in such a large quantity- that was a real treat. All the other meals could easily have been served in a 4-star restaurant in San Francisco or New York. We saw a multitude of wildlife, including Kodiak bears, bald eagles, otters, fin whales, dolphins, seals, puffins and more. At the end of the trip, I brought home 100 lbs. of fresh flash-frozen fish in two well-packaged boxes.

I went fishing by myself this year and had a great experience. I plan to return next year- this time with friends!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank davidcneal
Wausau, Wisconsin
Reviewed 18 August 2011

Kodiak Island Resort is an experience well suited to hard core fisherman and families seeking a new adventure!

Lodging, food and fishing are all top notch. I would strongly recommend this venue to individuals looking for high caliber fishing with many of the amenities of home. This is the type of resort where the individual can catch multiple large saltwater species (salmon, halibut, rockfish, and ling cod) and come home to a hot shower and a great meal.

If you are new to fishing vacations, I would strongly recommend this site. Kodiak Island has one of the best fishing boats that I have used. It is staffed by an experienced captain and first mate(both are fully licensed captains). The catamaran hull is exceedingly stable and well equipped for the targeted species. It is also the cleanest boat that I have ever fished. The cabin is spacious and allows a break from the weather. Travel to fishing grounds is minimal!!

Lodging is clearly above average in the modern main house. The facility was constructed within the past 5 years and is well maintained. The bedrooms are spacious and equipped with new queen sized beds and modern clean linens. Bathrooms are adequate and very clean. The only detractor, which the owners warn you about before arrival, is the heating for the property. Bedrooms are not heated. Nights are cool, but warm under the ample comforters.

Please realize you do leave some comforts on the mainland, but these are minor. If you expect to come and access cell service and high speed internet, you are in the wrong site. Expect to turn off your phone and relax!! I brought an I pad and got out limited info to my family on the fishing action. I really relaxed and got away from work.

Other recommendations:
1. Foul weather gear - I always travel with mine. My Gore tex bibs and jacket provided great wind protection during fishing.
2. Larsen Bay is a "damp" village- alcohol is permitted, but not sold. BYOB but remember that you have a weight limit!
3. Fed Ex your fish home. We had great luck with plenty to bring home. It was really easy to ship from Kodiak to our home in WI. Our fish beat us home!
4.Plan for 2 days of travel on both sides of your adventure. We were very lucky and had no flight delays. Trying to do it in one day from anywhere but the Northwest would be difficult. One day travel will likely always include a "red eye" flight. I would recommend overnite in Anchorage with a nice meal and sightseeing.

Room Tip: All rooms are comparable
1 Thank Craig H

Been to Alaska's Kodiak Island Resort? Share your experiences!