“What a great time.”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Larsen Bay
Alaska's Kodiak Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Larsen Bay
Reviewed 28 September 2013

This is the third time I've been to the resort in the last six years. The prior two were with my son and son-in-law. This trip included my wife, a daughter and significant other. All three trips have been wonderful. The fishing has always been beyond expectations, every year seems to get better. My wife and daughter caught more fish than I did on a couple of days. But the fishing is only part of the trip. The boat is the most comfortable boat I have ever fished on and the lodge itself is luxurious. The staff goes out of their way to make you feel at home and very comfortable. Allen and April go out of their way to meet your needs. The meals are very upscale and the taste of fresh seafood is unbelievable. The Captain and crew exhibit expertise that very few ever attain, to be able to anchor in 350 feet of water with wind and tide and put the boat over a small piece of bottom is amazing. I will return in the future.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 25 September 2013

My dad and I decided to head to AK for a week of fishing. After the typical research we selected Kodiak Island Resort and I can tell you we 100% made the right choice. From the accommodations to the fishing to the meals at the lodge everything was perfect. Can't thank Alan and his staff enough for a trip of lifetime.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Brian H
Reviewed 17 August 2013

I was looking for a fishing destination to spend what little time I have left with my terminally ill Father. When I was in the Navy, almost 20 years ago my ship pulled into Kodiak City Alaska. During my inport time I put together a one day fishing trip with a few of my shipmates. The time I spent fishing in the waters off of Kodiak Island 20 years ago resonated with me for years. I remember telling my fish stories to my Dad after my first trip to Alaska. I knew I wanted to repeat my fishing experience with him, especially now that I know there is little time left to spend with him. I investigated almost every Lodge on Kodiak Island. I read hundreds of reviews for the top 30 lodges on Kodiak Island. I really wanted our fishing experience to be special. I needed to find a great location, nice lodge, good food, nice ambiance, and most of all GREAT FISHING! I finally found the best place; Kodiak Island Resort. All the reviews were great and the pictures of the lodge, the boat and, catches of the day sealed the deal for me. After arriving Kodiak Island Resort, by a 45 minute plane ride from south of Kodiak City, the group which consisted of my Dad, Brother and 3 other people from California were greeted by Allen Walburn and his staff. Allen drove us to a beautiful log cabin lodge sitting high on a hill overlooking a small alcove of Larsen Bay. The accommodations were that of a 4 and 5 star Hotel. After our small indoctrination by Allen’s gracious wife April, the group went to set a crab trap so we could have Crab during the week. All of the meals we ate during the 5 days were of TOP CHEF Quality. The aluminum tri-haul fishing boat, Captained by Allen’s son Joe, was spectacular. The boat was spacious and practical and easily fit our small group of 6. The boat Captain and crew were totally dedicated to catch fish and we sure did……the entire group caught our limit of Black Bass, Yellow Eye, Halibut and Cod speckled with a few Salmon. I could not have asked for a better time with my Dad and my brother. The memories created at Kodiak Island Resort will be remembered by my Brother, Dad and me forever. If you think there are better places, please reconsider. There isn’t a better vacation and fishing lodge than Kodiak Island Resort. I plan on going back to Allen’s luxurious lodge with my wife in the next couple of years... I can't wait!

5  Thank Deano49
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Myself my brother and father went fishing a couple weeks ago. My brother made all the arrangements after carefully vetting all the available fishing lodges. What a great choice he made. I remember the look on the faces of the poor people in the lodge next us when they retuned and looked at the amazing catches we had that day. They even stopped to take pictures. That was a result of captain Joe, a wealth of fishing knowledge that made for a great learning experience. Along with sidekick Nick they made for a great time. I would be remiss not to mention Allen and his lovely wife April. Two of the most wonderful people I have ever met. The lodging was nothing short of spectacular. It's the details that count and nothing has been overlooked here. World class food and fun for a trip of my life.

4  Thank Ryan S
Reviewed 6 August 2013

After a month of internet searching and phone calls, we decided that Kodiak island was the place for us. Myself, my brother, father and a close friend, that we consider to be another brother, went to Kodiak Island Resort. We had a BLAST. Caught fish until our arms hurt! We ate like Kings, and were in total comfort the whole time. The lodge was perfect. Quiet, comfortable and on the ocean. The boat was outstanding, nice, wide and smooth. Captain Joe did every thing possible for us to keep catching fish. Like I said, very sore arms. His deck hand, Nick, was also always on top of things. Nick was friendly, hard working, and very helpful.

This was a trip of a life time, we are already planning to go back!

Shane of the Nevada Boys - See photos on KIR website.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
4  Thank Shane F
Reviewed 1 August 2013

I went to Kodiak Island Resort nearly two years ago (August 2011, trip advisor does not let me choose that far back!) with my father. This trip still constantly comes up in my mind, and I realized the least I could do in return for Allen, April, and Joe was to leave a good review. We landed and we were immediately greeted by Allen right on the runway. We arrived at the lodge and ate a feast of fresh caught crab, a meal that my father and I still talk about as the best meal that we have ever ate. The food and comforts of the lodge might be even better than the fishing! This is an amazing thing to say considering over the course of four days my father and I caught 7 species of fish, and probably close to two or three hundred fish with nothing being smaller than around five pounds, and the average size being at least 15 pounds for the halibut. We also had a day where we caught 30 salmon in approximately and hour. In addition to all of these fish, we saw many bald eagles, whales, foxes, HUGE brown bears that were feeding on salmon, puffins, among many other animals. To top it off, the mountain ranges visible from the mainland are absolutely beautiful. I probably won't catch as many fish next time I go because I will be much more prepared with the camera! It was an unbelievable trip and I can't wait to go back. If I wasn't entirely across the country (New York), I would be coming to this resort every single summer.

3  Thank Scott R
Reviewed 10 July 2013

A friend and I just returned from an "adventure" at KIR. We spend 5 enjoyable days at the resort with hours of great fishing. When planning the location of our trip to Alaska we searched the internet for locations. What caught our eyes about KIR was its remote location on Kodiak Island and the fact that the resort accommodated a maximum of 8 or so guest at any one time which allowed for more individual attention from the staff. We were not disappointed. The accommodations were first class with spacious rooms with all the amenities. The food was exceptional and plentiful. The fishing boat and crew were top notch and professional in all regards. The 40 foot catamaran was spacious and comfortable. The fishing gear was top of the line and combined with the boats state of the art electronics allowed for us to be "on the fish" and enabling us to catch our limits each day. Wildlife was plentiful with eagles, sea lions, sea otters and whales a daily sighting. One hi-light was a "humpback" surfacing at the side of the boat "so close that you could smell his breathe".
We can't say enough about all the staff especially Abby and "my girl" Nell. If I am fortunate enough to return to Alaska, and everyone should visit it, it will definitely be at Kodiak Island Resort.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Comfort Inn Kodiak
Comfort Inn Kodiak
#3 of 5 in Kodiak Island
Cranky Crow Bed and Breakfast

Been to Alaska's Kodiak Island Resort? Share your experiences!