“A Great Experience for my first time to Alaska”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Larsen Bay
Alaska's Kodiak Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Larsen Bay
Chicago, Illinois
“A Great Experience for my first time to Alaska”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Had a great "first visit" to Alaska with the Kodiak Island Resort lodge - hosted by Allen and April; with their son Joe as the ship's captain and a great first mate of Nick! Really enjoyed the entire experience--from the incredible food, beautiful accommodations and truly enjoyable and exciting fishing (Halibut, Rockfish, Seabass, Cod, etc.). As they say: Pictures are worth a 1000 words, so I've attached a few to provide people with some context of the beauty and wonder of Alaska and the Kodiak Island Resort.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

4 Thank cthibby

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Pasco, Washington
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I had previously stayed with KIR two years ago and wrote a post about how fantastic my experience was with my boys. So it wasn't hard to pony up the money to come see Alan and his wife April again this year. Only this time in additon to my boys I brought my father in law who had always wanted to go but never seemed to make it. I don't know whose face was smiling more throughout the trip, my young boys or my father-in law. The accomodations are some of the best, the food is incredible and the overall hospitatility second to none. If you want a true Alaska fishing trip this is the place to go. I can only back up my words by saying that the only draw back to taking my father in law there is that now the only thing that he talks about every time I see him is his unforgetable trip. A big thank you to Alan and April for making the bucket list a success....Again!!! P.S. The boys are hoping Nick found success in love this summer. :)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank Michael B
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 5 August 2014

If there is truly a fisherman's heaven, it would be Kodiak Island Resort on Larsons Bay, Kodiak Island, Alaska. However, if you aren't interested in catching 100+ pound halibut, or, 40+ pound ling cod, or, 20+ pound yellow eye rockfish, or 5+ pound black sea bass, or, 10+ pound pacific cod, don't even think of going there. I took my two sons back to Kodiak Island Resort in July, 2014. This was my 2nd time at the fishing resort to top all fishing resorts. The beautiful lodge is owned by Allen Wallburn and his wonderful wife April. The great fishing boat is captained by his son Joe who has never failed to put the boat on a spot loaded with fish. During a 4-day fishing vacation, we caught halibut over 110 pound on two different days. On my last trip back in 2009, an individual fishing with us boated a 287 pound halibut and my son caught a 141 pound halibut. I never cease to be amazed by Joe's ability to put the boat on top of fish, even in 300 feet of water. If ever you want a salt water fishing experience of a lifetime, I strongly recommend that you sign up five nights lodging and 4 full days of fishing at Kodiak Island Resort. Can't wait to go back for my 3rd visit.

Room Tip: Bring eye shades in June/July for the 'white nights'. Rooms facing the lagoon are the best.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jim T
The Woodlands, Texas
Reviewed 26 July 2014

My husband and I booked this trip based on tripadvisor reviews as well as the resort website and phone conversations with Allen Washburn prior to booking. We arrived on Tuesday evening July 2 and left on Tuesday afternoon July 8. First off I want to say this...the lodge is very nice and the rooms are extremely clean and comfortable which is a good thing because when the owner is in one of his frequent ill tempered moods and yelling at the guests for reasons beyond their knowledge or experience you will need a place to run and hide! He also frequently yells at the staff and talks about the other guests behind their backs and not in a nice way. I willsay that the boat is very nice and comfortable and will allow six people to fish easily however the captain will get upset and yell at the first mate and even at the guests if they don't land the fish they are trying to catch. If you read through the website under the heading About Us there is this line..." If you are looking for an Alaska fishing lodge that prides itself on treating guests like family....you have found the right place", well all I can say is that if this is how the owners treat their family I want out!! They can not keep staff and I would bet anything they do not get much if any repeat business. Please Please Please do yourself a huge favor and do not book here. Kodiak Island is beautiful and I would go there in a heart beat but not to stay here ever again. The fishing was good...not GREAT as they advertise, we did get out with our allotment of fish but I think we got other guest fish only because we tipped the staff and they didn't. Pretty sad scenario in my opinion. So to recap, the lodge, scenery, boat are nice but for what you pay for this trip being verbally abused is unacceptable. How this resort ever received the highly rated and glowing reviews is beyond me. Check out Yelp for reviews as well before you book!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
21 Thank PamPonder
awalburn1, General Manager at Alaska's Kodiak Island Resort, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Pam, We are always deeply concerned when our reputation for five-star service may not have met the expectations of a customer. I do wish you would have contacted me with your concerns, instead of simply posting a dissatisfied online review, but we still appreciate your willingness to express your feelings. We certainly apologize if any of our fishing assistance or safety instructions came across in a way you found to be troubling. You have my assurance that your comments will be a source of motivation for us, as we strive to achieve 100% customer satisfaction at all times. I am glad you enjoyed the lodge, found the boat comfortable, enjoyed the meals, and the fish that you did catch. We wish you the very best on your future fishing adventures!!
Naples, Florida
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Alaska has always been on my list of places to visit in the world, and I finally made it!
How much of a bonus it was to stay with Alan and his team at Alaska's Kodiak Island Resort.
I am
more of a enjoy the scenery and breath in the views kind of guy, and I was completely blown away to say the least.
From the scenic moutain back drops, to the eagles flying past our second story resort bedroom window, to the grand ocean that we fished! It was all breath taking beautiful!
My brother, my travel partner is the fisherman of the group...
Again we were not disappointed! The crew of the boat, never stopped working hard to make sure we were yelling "fish on fish on"
We caught our limit everyday... Delicious Halibut, fresh Cod, rock fish, Black Sea bass, and omg the all you can crab fest that we had!! Yes we even caught some Tanner Crab (snow crab). The flavor and quality right from the deep cold water ocean of the Alaskan straight is enough to make you never order it from grocery store again!
My brother has worked as a boat mechanic before and we have been around boats all our life, the boat that they custom built is by far the best out there, all hand welded construction with double bows in the water for stability. Not to mention 14 air sealed compartments in the bottom pontoon sections for near unsinkability.
One of the fishing days, the wind picked up to 60-80 mile gusts around the mountains base, the boat handled it like nothing.
A Full resort with private rooms that had the most comfortable, softest beds with quality pillows and comforters that felt more like we were being pampered at the Ritz Carlton or other 5 star hotel then at a resort in wilds of Alaska.
Between Aprils small attention to details and Alans careful planning to include everything possible we had a truly enjoyable time..
And At the end of the trip we even took home a good deal of delicious fish to enjoy.
You can't go wrong with planning your trip to Alaska's Kodiak Island Resort!

• Stayed June 2014
Naples, Florida
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We are a family of four and recently visited Kodiak Island Resort of June 2014. The resort and people exceeded our expectations. We limited out with Fish, and they were very patient with kids 10 & 12. We enjoyed the flight seeing and we saw bears, eagles and a fox named Ruby. We were thrilled to see puffins, seals and a few variety of whales. Definitely a lifetime Experience! Thanks to Allen ,April, Captain Joe, Nick, Emily and Grant for a fabulous time! Top notch food and service. I would highly recommend. Be ready to leave cell and Wifi behind and dive into the experience.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank julie k
Prescott, Arizona, United States
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I had the fortunate experience of spending a week this last September at Kodiak Island Resort with my girlfriend and her family. It was a truly unbelievable experience in every sense of the word. I can tell you that every facet of our stay at the lodge was world class. Obviously the fishing is excellent, we often caught our limit of halibut and yelloweye, including the lodge record 360 lb halibut, which was an amazing experience and sea tale in and of itself. What really makes the experience stand out is the level of detail and the dedication and professionalism of everyone involved. The captain and first mate were extraordinarily skilled and enthusiastic about our fishing experience. They put their dedication and experience to the test every day to put us all in the best possible position to catch lots of fish and have tons of fun while doing it. April and Allen made us comfortable and feel at home in the lodge while the chef and wait staff treated us to 5-star restaurant quality delicious, fresh Alaskan seafood delicacies every night. Every meal was simply amazing, even our boxed lunches that we ate while on the boat. The lodge itself is more beautiful, intimate and comfortable than any place you could imagine in such a rustic, wild setting. We never wanted for a single thing. It was truly the adventure and experience of a lifetime.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Justin R

Been to Alaska's Kodiak Island Resort? Share your experiences!