“Beautiful location and excellent hospitality”
Review of Summit Lake Lodge

Summit Lake Lodge
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We stayed in a Cabin. It was bit small but well maintained with enough heat in the room and good bathroom facilities. The room was well decorated with Alaskan touch to the interiors. It has a beautiful lake next to it. And, very impressive part was the free breakfast they had offered. The omelette was just amazing.. In our whole trip to Alaska ( Anchorage, Whittier, Denali, Talkeetna & Seward ), the breakfast and the hospitality at Summit lake lodge had its impact and we couldn't forget in our whole trip. We stayed on August 31'2012 while we were heading to Seward for Kenai Fjord tour. I would definitely recommend.Book in advance and stay in cabins near to woods rather than getting into a hotel in Seward city.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hemanth R

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Nice place, affordable, good food, comfortable, and when the rain stopped-beautiful location! The owner was very nice, and offered suggestions when asked. Rooms are small-but I don't need a big room to sleep in. Kayaks, canoes available for guest use! Wish I had the time to use them-but just couldn't do it. I stayed here while visiting Seward and Homer and then back to Anchorage, and it worked out well for my day trips.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank sethelm
Reviewed 3 September 2013

My parents and I arrived 1.5 hours after check in time, but the place was deserted. Black windows, locked doors, no cars or people anywhere. It was CREEPY!

Since it's in the middle of nowhere, with no Internet connectivity available outdoors, we just walked around the grounds hoping to find someone to help us since finding another hotel online was impossible without wifi. We had a reservation for 3 nights -- imagine our growing ire as checking in seemed more and more impossible.

And lo and behold, a sign on the main cabin door came into view. It essentially said 'Closed until tomorrow for employee appreciation day.' Um... a phone call or email a few days (if not weeks!) prior, letting customers know the situation, would have gone a LONG way. What exactly are your paying, previously excited, customers supposed to do if you are closed on the day they are scheduled to check in? (The nearest restaurant, I later learned, is 17 miles away.)

We finally found one sole employee (Marty's daughter) cleaning a room. She offered no apology or explanation, just "I can offer you a refund if you don't like it."

Well, we took her up on it. The customer service here is awful, the worst I've ever encountered, and the place, while pretty, is right on top of a busy road with traffic speeding loudly by. We went to the close-by Inn at Tern Lake and had a fabulous time! Imagine, all it took was being Open.

• Stayed: August 2013
summitak, Owner at Summit Lake Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

Wow! Once again, my apologies to you for your inconvenience. Yes, we decided to close to the public on the day you arrived. We felt that all of our employees had worked very hard all summer and we thought that we would surprise them with a trip to the Alaska State Fair, in appreciation of all their hard work. My daughter ,Lyndsey volunteered to stay behind and clean rooms and check in all guests We put a sign on the main entrance to the Lodge explaining this to the public. Right next to this sign we posted another sign to all Lodge guest that they were welcome and to come around to the side door and we would help them check in and if we were not there , gave a phone number to call since she may be cleaning rooms. We had a total of 7 check ins on this day, all other guests thought it was a great idea to take our employees to the fair and understood but you for some reason felt that this was not appropriate Everybody got checked in to their cabins including you. Your reservation was for a cabin with a king bed, upon your arrival you requested a cabin with two queens. Lyndsey got you into a cabin with two queens. I believe she did everything possible to accommodate you. Also, I do not appreciate how rude you were to Lyndsey , all she was trying to do was help you

Marty
Owner Summit Lake Lodge

Reviewed 31 August 2013

Situated in the middle of the Kinai Pennisula, Summit Lake Lodge is the perfect spot and the perfect place to enjoy everything Alaska has to offer. From the moment we walked in to our lovely cabin until a week later when we sadly had to catch a flight home, our stay was beyond our expectations. The cabin was more than comfortable with wonderful beds and continuous hot water from the Rinnai heater. Our hosts and owners, Marti and June, were always available to organise trips or just to chat and answer questions. The staff, led by manager,Brad O'Farrell, was friendly and efficient. The food was delicious and the cozy bar, after a full day of enjoying glaciers, fjords and nature in all its glory, was a great place to unwind and relive our adventures. I look forward to returning with my family to enjoy Alaska all over again!!

Room Tip: Rooms in the lodge are good for overnight. For an extended stay, I would stay in a cabin for the ex...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank SLK317
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We stayed in a lodge room. It was very small.. The room was decorated really nice and it was clean except the rug in the bathroom was damp and musty smelling. The bed was very comfortable, the grounds were beautiful with a nice view of the lake, food in the restaurant was very good and the waitresses were friendly. We could not get any hot water in the shower. It appeared that the fixture was broken. I told the management about it when we checked out and he argued the point. I just wanted to let him know so he could make it right for the next guest, but instead he acted like I was the problem. There was some highway noise, but did not keep us awake. The price was very reasonable.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Oh my gosh, cabin 1 has a king size bed that feels like you are sleeping on a waterfall. One half of the bed is fine but the other half slopes off at a sharp angle, aka The Waterfall Bed. We had to sleep perpendicular to the head of the bed. We told mgmt and they made a joke.
Family was in Cabin 2 and said bed was great.
2nd complaint: We arrived at 4:30 pm. The room was not ready. Waited another hour. No apology.
On the plus side: They made us a breakfast basket b/c their restaurant does not open until 8 am.
And we loved our server when we had dinner. The halibut was good.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
summitak, owner at Summit Lake Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2013

First off, I wish to thank you for your business. I am totally confused on the bed, You are the first person in the three years we have been renting these cabins to complain about the bed. I receive many many compliments on our beds. My wife and I went over to check this bed out, laid it in ( probably a bit too long) found it to be quire comfortable. also check all around and under to see if anything was broken. All was in good working order. So you can see my wonder on the bed problem. As for your room not being ready on time that is completely our fault. The house keepers were overwhelmed that day. I do apologize if we were not up to your expectations and we will strive to improve

Marty

Owner
Summit Lake Lodge

Reviewed 25 August 2013

Located on a beautiful lake, and inclusive of a delicious breakfast, what more can you want??? The cabin was well-appointed (there was a leak issue with the toilet and sink, but hey!) and immaculate. There is some highway noise if you have a unit that backs to the road so if you're a light sleeper be aware. All in all a delightful stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Renfro's Lakeside Retreat
Midnight Sun Log Cabins
Midnight Sun Log Cabins
#3 of 3 in Moose Pass

Been to Summit Lake Lodge? Share your experiences!