“Alaska the way I like it.”
Review of Trail Lake Lodge

Trail Lake Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Moose Pass
Reviewed 8 August 2013

This is my second year at Trail Lake Lodge and I will be returning again and again. The staff is extremely friendly and attentive. They make you feel like part of the family. Steamer, the owner, is a retired Marine and, having served in Vietnam in the army, I enjoy swapping tales with him. The rooms are comfortable yet rustic, just the way I like them.
I come up here for the fly fishing, though, and Doug is the guy I spend most of my time with. He will arrange whatever type of Kenai Peninsula fishing imaginable. He booked me with Fish Seward Alaska for some halibut and silver salmon in Resurrection Bay, and float trips down the Kenai with Keen Eye Anglers for sockeye, rainbows, and dolly varden, then guided us on Quartz Creek and Palmer creek for dollies, rainbows, and grayling. Last year, he took me to the Russian River and a float plane trip in to Lower Paradise Lake. Doug's knowledge is only surpassed by his infectious personality.
I plan on returning every year, as long as this old body holds out.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank FlyFishingCrazy

Reviewed 27 July 2013

This place looks nothing like the pictures. We stayed in one of the "lodge rooms". It was small. The shower was barely big enough to turn around in.The bathroom was vary small, reminded me of an airplane where you can barely get in enough to shut the door. We reserved our room and I told the gentleman on the phone that we are a family. I was quoted a price of $126. When we arrived, I was told that it would actually be $158 because we would be using all the beds. HUH??? I thought I was paying for a room, not the beds? My husband argued with them and they gave us the price we were quoted on the phone. Our room was above the restaurant/bar. We went fishing and didn't get back to the room until 1:30 am (exhausted) and we could hear the noise from the bar under our room. It was incredibly hot in the room, there was no air conditioner, or fans. Our room had a double bed, a twin bed and a twin size hide away bed. My son said the twin bed was comfortable, the double bed was uncomfortable, springy and made our backs hurt, my younger boys slept on the hide a bed and they said it was uncomfortable and they too had backaches. The website advertises that the room has a queen size bed. That's what I sleep on at home, there is no way that bed was a queen. It was a full size bed. This MOTEL is located in "downtown" Moose Pass. We had a lovely view of the Methodist church and it's parking lot out our window, and an old bus parked in the lot that belongs to the "lodge". The lake is pretty, but this motel isn't situated in a way that you can see the lake from your room. I would not stay here again. I would expect to pay $40 a night for what the Trail Lakes Lodge had to offer. Not worth $129, and certainly not worth $158 for "seeping in all the beds" Terribly disapointed.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Trail Lake Lodge was a wonderful Alaskan experience. The lodge sits at waters edge and allows for beautiful views. The meals were fresh and presented well. The rooms were clean and quaint, The lodge has lots to offer and the service is great, very attentive. The rooms were also very reasonable. I would recommend this property time and time again!

Room Tip: Call in advance if you are able.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank leslie60880
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Small rooms could definitely use some sprucing up.. 45 minutes from Seward. On a scenic lake, but facility does not provide boats or kayaks.

Spotty housekeeping. Iron in the water. Do not drink it! Get drinking water/ice from the restaurant, which must be filtered. Toilet filled with hot water, which was kinda weird.

Was with a tour group and the buffet food was very good.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We understand to accommodate guests at a remote town in Alaska is not a easy job and requires extra effort. However, this place is even below our already lowered expectation. We stayed at this lodge for 2 nights. The room is merely big enough to have a double bed, a foldable chair, and a nightstand. Therefore, the staffs we had, including two suitcases, a foam cooler, and couple bags of food, needed be piled up in the room. The temperature of the room was 58F when we got there. So I set the heater to 70F. After 2 hours, however, the temperature was only 5 degree higher. Luckily, the hot water in the bathroom was hot except the stream was really small. With this amount of water, I had to stand under shower head for a minute to get my shoulder-long hair all wet. Although they provided WiFi password, the signal was invariably zero.

So far, all the above is not the reason I gave low review. What made us really unsatisfied was we even didn't get house keeping service!!! Since we also stayed at some hostels in Alaska with much less price and still got clear room everyday, I really don't think house keeping is out of service range for a $100+/night lodge.

After all, this place is the worst one we had for our 16 days Alaska trip.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Redbeansoup B
Reviewed 6 July 2013

The perfect location for the perfect Alaska vacation. Situated between Anchorage and Seward, you can do everything from the Lodge. Steamer and his staff set everything up: float plane tour of the ice fields, float trips for Trout down the Kenai, Halibut in Seward, hikes, white water rafting, canoe trips in Trail Lake. The food is outstanding, and the only thing better is the hospitality. The views are worth the visit, breath taking. Also and most important, the best Buffalo Chickens Wings west of the Mississippi, perfect bar with much on tap. Tripp and his kitchen staff make sure you get your fill of the best cooked food. Not the Ritz but you are in Alaska, it feels like Alaska.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 June 2013

We stopped here for a break on our way to Seward and ended up booking a room for the night. The rooms were nice; very cute, well appointed and comfy beds. We had dinner and breakfast in the restaurant and both were excellent. The staff was so friendly and nice, and the pricing was much more reasonable than we had found elsewhere. Thanks to all the staff for a great stay! An excellent value for the money. I would highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: The upstairs rooms are bigger and very nice.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
#1 of 3 in Cooper Landing
Inn at Tern Lake
Inn at Tern Lake
#1 of 3 in Moose Pass

Been to Trail Lake Lodge? Share your experiences!