Colony Inn
Pioneer Motel(Palmer)(Great Value!)
US$74
US$72
Alaska's Select Inn Hotel(Wasilla)(Great Value!)
US$104
US$101
Travelocity
US$194
US$189
Hotels.com
Best Western Lake Lucille Inn(Wasilla)(Great Value!)
US$130
US$119
US$71
US$76
  • Restaurant
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 14 July 2012

This in not your typical run of the mill hotel. It's an older, quaint, unique place to stay. Not fancy, and takes you back in time. We had a nice room on the first floor. Bathroom was bigger than some other places we have stayed. Nice bath and shower. Bed was OK. Also might add that there was a washer & dryer on the first floor that was free of charge for guests. I did 2 loads and felt like I got a pretty good deal! :) We have stayed here twice on visits to Palmer and we'd probably stay there again if in the area. It was clean! I have heard that it was "haunted", but we've not seen any signs of that. So if you want to try something a little different, this might be the place for you. Check in at the other hotel was not a problem if you know about it ahead of time. Peggy was very friendly when we checked in. Thumbs up here!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank HoneyBear22
Reviewed 16 April 2012

This is a restored Historic Building. Because of this the floors creek, the walls are thin, things are out of level, power outlets are at a premium, etc. If you enjoy history and historical places it is easy to overlook these shortcomings. The restoration is very well done, the rooms are nicely appointed and comfortable. I definitely recommend this location when in Palmer.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank DCody
Reviewed 7 September 2011

I'm from Fairbanks and was in Palmer for the State Fair and to attend a wedding. I wasn't impressed by the Colony Inn. It did have pleasant staff, but the check in was confusing as you have to go to another hotel (Valley Hotel) to get your key. No one explained this to me when I made reservations over the phone which would have made things a whole lot easier instead of driving around in the dark trying to figure out what I'm supposed to do. You have to ask for the WiFi password, they won't volunteer it, but it is a fast connection once you get it. The walls are PAPER thin. Be prepared to hear ever door shut and person walking across the hotel, the floor above us creeked loudly everytime someone took a step and I had a hard time sleeping. We had two rooms, in room #1 the jets in the tub didn't work and the zone valve in the heating system made a god awful extremely loud noise everytime it opened and closed also preventing us from sleeping, on day two it stuck open entirely and the room was 100 degrees easily with no way to adjust the heat. In our 2nd room the jets in the tub worked, but they were un-normally deafening loud, another guest thought I was vacumning in our room when they were on. Not conducive to relaxing. Our shower faucet was broken in half and the splines holding it onto the pipe in the wall were cracked so you could only turn the water off and on, but not adjust the temperature, which was by chance set to scald. My husband had to go find some tools in the janitors closet at 10pm, take apart and rebuild the faucet so I could take a shower and not burn my skin off. If he wasn't mechanically inclined we would have been out of luck. The beds were comfortable....I have to give them that, although I wish we had a queen instead of a double, they may be available I'm not sure. We happened to be in a room right by the front door so unless you wanted every single person looking in your room you were forced to close the shades. The carpets in both our rooms had stains on them, they were cleaned, but just stained. Our TV remote also didn't work.
I understand this is a historical bldg, but they could gain a lot by updating a few things. We may have had several poor circumstances culminate all at once, but I won't stay there again myself. I'd go to Wasilla first. We ate in the cafe over at the Valley Hotel once, I also wouldn't go back. We ordered nachos and added beef, instead they put breakfast sausage on them. It was also very expensive, $18 for nachos and two drinks to me is a bit pricey, especially when the food was sub-par to begin with. I did see some pie and deserts that looked pretty good and some of the other food coming out looked decent so maybe we just ordered a bad choice too.
All in all, it's a place to sleep, that's about it....I'd go somewhere else myself.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank AKGirl1883
Reviewed 21 August 2011

My husband and I stay here when in town to watch our son's high school football games (once a year). I have just a couple of things to add as most of the reviews here are spot on.
Check-in is never a pleasant experience. Never have we been smiled at or had the normal hotel "welcome" chatter.
This is however, a rustic, charming inn. It was built in the late 1930's as a boarding house. The floors creak and often there are people who seem oblivious to their noise level - this can happen anywhere. The lack of black-out drapes has always baffled me.
Within walking distance the Farmers Market near the railroad tracks is a fun thing to do. I don't know what days/hours they are open but they were open Friday afternoon when we checked in. There is also a visitor's center with a lovely garden (the plants are tagged with their names) . As others have said, Palmer has beautiful mountains and lovely scenery when the weather cooperates.

Room Tip: A few rooms have jacuzzi-style tubs, the rest have showers. One side of the building faces a quiet street - the other a nice lawn area.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank alaskagirl
Reviewed 21 August 2011

The Colony has been accurately reviewed by others, but there are a few things to add.

Although it isn't advertised as an adult environment, with the antiques and the stairs it is a place where children would have to be carefully supervised. There is a park adjoining with nice walking paths but no children's equipment in sight.

The rooms are upstairs. (Downstairs rooms appear to be on display for those who visit the site or go to the restaurant.) All of the rooms have showers and all but two have jetted tubs. One room has twin beds. All of the rooms are individually decorated with a great deal of care.

There is no elevator, so if you need handicapped access be sure to ask before making reservations. The second floor is accessed by either an inside or an outside stair case. There is a parking lot on each side of the building. If you are going up the inside stairs, it is best to park on the side of the building opposite of the outside stairs.

The free laundry, on the first floor, is very rare these days!

The parlor is a cozy place to curl up with a book - in an old wing backed chair near the bay window or the fireplace. There is also free Internet.

The restaurant has odd days and hours, so check before you plan to eat there.

The Colony is a unique space that refreshes and revives...

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family