“Pleasant surprise”
Review of Colony Inn

Colony Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Palmer
Colony Inn
Ranked #7 of 13 Palmer B&B and Inns
Cyprus
“Pleasant surprise”
Reviewed 11 September 2013

We were pleasantly surprised from this cute Inn in Palmer. Everything was very well thought of. It was very clean with all amenities. Very convient location. It was a pity that the Inn Cafe was closed.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Eleni100

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
California
Reviewed 14 August 2013

In order to check in to this hotel, you need to go to the Valley Hotel, which is about three blocks away. The only staff on duty at the Colony is the person who cleans the rooms during the day. Both hotels are run by the same company and your room key will get you in the front door. We were given room 2, which was a large and airy queen-sized room. Unfortunately the room vibrated. It was similar to having a washing machine constantly going on next door. We called the Valley Hotel, and the maintenance man said it was the pipes. We then switched to another room. This was much better and we had a good night's sleep. Our caveat for the Colony Hotel --- don't get room 2 unless you like vibration.

There are several advantages to the Colony Hotel. First, thete is a free washer and dryer. They ask that you leave 75 cents for detergent that they provide. We really appreciated this feature after amassing a week's worth of laundry. Second, there is a large community room with tables and sofas. Third, the rooms have refrigerators and there is a microwave on the second floor, so you can prepare meals to take to the community room, a great place to dine. A Fred Meyers grocery store is about three or four blocks away. Finally, the rooms have jacuzzi bath tubs. Aaaaaah! The rooms are attractive, the towels are soft. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: Don't get room 2 unless you like vibration. The others are much better.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank poodytat
Leuven, Vlaams-Brabant, Belgium
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Great hotel, a little piece of local history. It used to be a dorm for single teachers and nurses. If you want a sterile, room from a well-known hotel chain, stay away. If you are looking for a unique experience with lots of history and charm, this is the place to stay!
Downstairs is a big living room with a fire place, lots of carpets, couches and cushions. Our room was very comfortable with a big bed, a soft arm chair, a flatscreen tv and a fridge. The bathroom was a lot bigger than what you get in most hotels. The bed was very good. Everything was very clean. In the hall was a microwave and a coffeemaker.
We only stayed for 1 night, but I wish we could have stayed longer. I would defenitely come here again.
A few minuses: The place was quite deserted. There was no one at the desk. Guests had to check in at an other hotel, about half a mile away. There was no breakfast. The walls are thin and the floors are very squaeky. It adds to the charm, but when the place is full, I can imagine that you hear a lot.
We had been camping for a while and for us the place was perfect. There were only a few other guests so it was quiet, and we could make our own dinner and breakfast with everything we had leftover from camping.
The hotel is located in downtown Palmer, opposite a great little museum that takes you back to Palmer in the 30s.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Marrijke
Ohio
Reviewed 14 July 2012

This in not your typical run of the mill hotel. It's an older, quaint, unique place to stay. Not fancy, and takes you back in time. We had a nice room on the first floor. Bathroom was bigger than some other places we have stayed. Nice bath and shower. Bed was OK. Also might add that there was a washer & dryer on the first floor that was free of charge for guests. I did 2 loads and felt like I got a pretty good deal! :) We have stayed here twice on visits to Palmer and we'd probably stay there again if in the area. It was clean! I have heard that it was "haunted", but we've not seen any signs of that. So if you want to try something a little different, this might be the place for you. Check in at the other hotel was not a problem if you know about it ahead of time. Peggy was very friendly when we checked in. Thumbs up here!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank HoneyBear22
Fritz Creek, Alaska
Reviewed 16 April 2012

This is a restored Historic Building. Because of this the floors creek, the walls are thin, things are out of level, power outlets are at a premium, etc. If you enjoy history and historical places it is easy to overlook these shortcomings. The restoration is very well done, the rooms are nicely appointed and comfortable. I definitely recommend this location when in Palmer.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank DCody
Fairbanks, Alaska
Reviewed 7 September 2011

I'm from Fairbanks and was in Palmer for the State Fair and to attend a wedding. I wasn't impressed by the Colony Inn. It did have pleasant staff, but the check in was confusing as you have to go to another hotel (Valley Hotel) to get your key. No one explained this to me when I made reservations over the phone which would have made things a whole lot easier instead of driving around in the dark trying to figure out what I'm supposed to do. You have to ask for the WiFi password, they won't volunteer it, but it is a fast connection once you get it. The walls are PAPER thin. Be prepared to hear ever door shut and person walking across the hotel, the floor above us creeked loudly everytime someone took a step and I had a hard time sleeping. We had two rooms, in room #1 the jets in the tub didn't work and the zone valve in the heating system made a god awful extremely loud noise everytime it opened and closed also preventing us from sleeping, on day two it stuck open entirely and the room was 100 degrees easily with no way to adjust the heat. In our 2nd room the jets in the tub worked, but they were un-normally deafening loud, another guest thought I was vacumning in our room when they were on. Not conducive to relaxing. Our shower faucet was broken in half and the splines holding it onto the pipe in the wall were cracked so you could only turn the water off and on, but not adjust the temperature, which was by chance set to scald. My husband had to go find some tools in the janitors closet at 10pm, take apart and rebuild the faucet so I could take a shower and not burn my skin off. If he wasn't mechanically inclined we would have been out of luck. The beds were comfortable....I have to give them that, although I wish we had a queen instead of a double, they may be available I'm not sure. We happened to be in a room right by the front door so unless you wanted every single person looking in your room you were forced to close the shades. The carpets in both our rooms had stains on them, they were cleaned, but just stained. Our TV remote also didn't work.
I understand this is a historical bldg, but they could gain a lot by updating a few things. We may have had several poor circumstances culminate all at once, but I won't stay there again myself. I'd go to Wasilla first. We ate in the cafe over at the Valley Hotel once, I also wouldn't go back. We ordered nachos and added beef, instead they put breakfast sausage on them. It was also very expensive, $18 for nachos and two drinks to me is a bit pricey, especially when the food was sub-par to begin with. I did see some pie and deserts that looked pretty good and some of the other food coming out looked decent so maybe we just ordered a bad choice too.
All in all, it's a place to sleep, that's about it....I'd go somewhere else myself.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank AKGirl1883
Fairbanks, Alaska
Reviewed 21 August 2011

My husband and I stay here when in town to watch our son's high school football games (once a year). I have just a couple of things to add as most of the reviews here are spot on.
Check-in is never a pleasant experience. Never have we been smiled at or had the normal hotel "welcome" chatter.
This is however, a rustic, charming inn. It was built in the late 1930's as a boarding house. The floors creak and often there are people who seem oblivious to their noise level - this can happen anywhere. The lack of black-out drapes has always baffled me.
Within walking distance the Farmers Market near the railroad tracks is a fun thing to do. I don't know what days/hours they are open but they were open Friday afternoon when we checked in. There is also a visitor's center with a lovely garden (the plants are tagged with their names) . As others have said, Palmer has beautiful mountains and lovely scenery when the weather cooperates.

Room Tip: A few rooms have jacuzzi-style tubs, the rest have showers. One side of the building faces a quiet...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank alaskagirl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palmer
Alaska's Select Inn Hotel
Eagle Hotel
#10 of 13 in Palmer
Alaska Garden Gate B & B
Hatcher Pass Bed & Breakfast

Been to Colony Inn? Share your experiences!