“This place is Amazing”
Review of Hatcher Pass Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Palmer
Hatcher Pass Lodge
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Palmer
Effingham, Illinois
“This place is Amazing”
Reviewed 2 September 2013

This place is amazing. The cabins are really cool. We stayed in a cabin with a queen bed in the loft. Every cabin has an awesome view of the mountains. The bathroom is very basic, but it really didn't matter. The isolation is nice, but the drive to town isn't long if needed. We only stayed one night on a whim, but worth it, wish we could have stayed another night. Trip Advisor only has a rating of 5 as the max...i would give it a 6. Love it, next trip to Alaska we will definitely stay here again. The restaurant has great food.

Room Tip: We stayed in a cabin with a loft...it does have a ladder.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Falmouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 August 2013

This is a great option for this area. Come in on the Willow-Fishook Road (gorgeous dirt road drive). The cabins do have thermoses of water, and chemical toilets. The showers are in the main lodge which is open from roughly 8am to 12am. the proprietor is an older man who is very nice. This place was amazingly priced at $99/night. Right below the independence mine, I went hiking up at the mine after the gates closed as you can still walk in once the cars are locked out. All in all a great option if you want to do any hiking or exploring in the independence mine area, which is definitely recommended as it is a gorgeous area.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Portland, OR
Reviewed 24 August 2013 via mobile

The setting of these cabins is absolutely amazing. Be prepared for rustic because there is no running water and each cabin has portable self contained toilets that are very awkward. The lodge leaves there back door open until midnight so you can use the bathroom in there. This place is extremely isolated so be understanding about the conditions. If you are looking for a hotel do yourself a favor and stay in Palmer or Wasilla. However, if you want a truly Alaskan experience I highly recommend this place. The views are incredible. I recommend staying in cabins 8 or 9 because they're right next to a small creek. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013
Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed 13 August 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here. The cabins do not have running water or WiFi but do have a flush, portable toilet in the bathroom which worked fine, electricity and heat. We were very comfortable. Originally assigned to cabin 4, we asked for and were moved to cabin 3 because we were annoyed by the non-stop generating machine next to the parking lot. Cabins 1 and 2, even further from the parking lot, would be good too. But the real reason to stay here is the scenery and hiking. Walk out your door to stunning vistas and hike up a mountain if you wish. So beautiful.

Room Tip: Choose cabin 3 and stay away from the 2 cabins nearest the parking lot if the noise of a non-stop ge...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Plano, Texas
Reviewed 4 July 2013

This was a great overall experience! We happened upon this place on our way up to the Independence Mine State Park on a Sunday around noon, and had the option of breakfast or lunch. The Italian Scramble was a little expensive but oh so good! The view was amazing, and the lodge..well, it's lodge-y... quaint, with lots of wood, paintings of the area, a big wood stove in the middle of the room, and a mix of wood long tables and other seating. The young woman waiting on us was very friendly and engaging - she also did the cooking - she did both well!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Palmer, AK
Reviewed 26 February 2013

We have never spent the night , but have eaten at the cafe about 20 times in the past 10 years. I always bring out of town guests here, because it is so extraordinary. From the hum of the generator outside, I am fairly certain the whole place is off-grid, so don't expect it to be just like Anchorage! It is amazing to me how they even get staff to stay up there--either you have to live up in the tundra, or commute down the mountain!
I would call the restaurant a mix of alpine lodge and rustic Alaskana. Hikers stopping in for a hot drink by the woodstove always seem happy.. We usually get the fondue--and the last two times, the server did a nice presentation of fruit to go with it. When we there a week ago, the staff were very pleasant and attentive towards us (but, it wasn't that busy). It's true that service can get quite slow if they have a few filled tables--but as long as it is daylight outside, enjoy the view. Most of the meals are fairly simple-- don't expect gourmet. All in all, it is not for everyone, as it is rustic --yet certainly one of the more interesting places to visit in the Southcentral area.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Arcticstar
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed 10 February 2013

I guess my review will split the vote so to speak, but I stayed here a couple of years ago and in fact plan to stay there next month. The food had and I ate all three meals was very good as I recall. We stayd in one of the cabins, nothing special but in my mind you are paying for thr view and ambiance. The owner was very welcomig and let us even keep our dog in the cabin and take her into the lodge with us. The lodge has a very cozy laid back feel, I just love to sit there and sip hot drinks, by the fire. I love beig able to ski up to this place and and warm up by the fire. I don't care if he has remodled frankly, this place is what it should be a functional lodge in the mountains where you sleep ski, sled, sauna and get some warm food. That is all I need or want, if I want luxury I will go to girdwood but I have my complaints about the hotel there.

Room Tip: Get a small one down hill facingdone the valley
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Foodsthegame
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palmer
Best Western Lake Lucille Inn
Alaska Garden Gate B & B
Moose Wallow Cabins
Moose Wallow Cabins
#3 of 12 in Palmer

Been to Hatcher Pass Lodge? Share your experiences!