“Avoid”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Palmer
Tahoe City, California
“Avoid”
Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

Avoid if you can! Toilet not filling ,stinky smoky room, unfriendly welcome. What a mistake! The manager got upset that we wanted to see the the room before we paid. This place could be rented by the hour.

Stayed September 2013
WinonaBone, Manager at Pioneer Motel, responded to this review, 25 January 2014
Thank you very much for taking time to write a review of the Pioneer Motel. We welcome these opportunities to determine where we can improve our service. As stated in a previous response, our policy has been to not show rooms at night as this can put our employees at risk. Not everyone coming into a business in the middle of the night has good intentions so we must look out for our staff first and foremost. As to the condition of the rooms, this is an old building constructed in the 1950's and recently under new management and new ownership. We have been working to update and do basic remodeling on the rooms to eliminate the old odors left behind from a time when smoking was allowed in the rooms but this is a slow process. We make sure that all rooms and linens are cleaned every day and bedding is washed after every guest!
Again we welcome your input and hope that you will come see us once our updates are completed .

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Hebrew first
Fairbanks, Alaska
Reviewed 29 September 2013

I'm in my Pioneer Motel room as I type. When I got here and saw the outside of the building my young son wasn't sure he wanted to stay here. The building was well taken care of but an old building looks uninviting compared to a new one. One thing that detracted from the external appearance was the parking area. It had lots of pot holes full of water... Buy hey, we're in Alaska. I told my son: Some people see a dive. I see a place to get a good nights sleep for a decent price. We checked in and when my son saw the very nice room he said: We should stay here every time we come to Wasilla/Palmer. How quickly his vision of the Motel changed. The room was truly very nice. It was spacious, well appointed, had a kitchenette with a fridge and a microwave, more furniture than we could possibly use, and two queen beds with very comfortable mattresses. It had a nice flat screen tv that provided a jillion channels. And I quickly discovered I had free internet access as well.

We are very happy with our stay and I already booked a room for a week from now when we return to this area. The owners of the Pioneer Motel obviously take pride in their business. They've built a very comfortable place and I'll be pleased to get a room here when visiting Palmer.

I look for older places like this because if they're well run they beat those newfangled motels that cost twice as much and where the rooms are like being in an RV: no room to move around in.

Room Tip: They have single queen and double queen rooms.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Darwin, Australia
Reviewed 7 September 2013

I certainly expected very little for 86.00, and so was really surprised to get this great little room with kitchenette . It's clean and roomy,and although some parts of room are tired some are also new. Fully supplies with soaps and shampoo (most this price are not ).

Room Tip: Queen room
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 9liz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palmer
Best Western Lake Lucille Inn
Alaska's Lake Lucille Bed & Breakfast
Knotty Pine B&B
Knotty Pine B&B
#4 of 12 in Palmer

Been to Pioneer Motel? Share your experiences!