“Totally worth it” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 12 Palmer B&B and Inns
Baltimore, Maryland
“Totally worth it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2011

We had a large suite with a kitchenette and a jacuzzi. The B&B is on a small hillock and the view from there is very good. We wish we had stayed longer at this place.

1 Thank TravellingSanta

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2011

A friend of mine and I went on a climbing and hiking trip to Hatcher Pass and we stayed here a few nights. We really enjoyed our visit at the Garden Gate. The rooms were clean, the views are outstanding, and the breakfast was great. Karen was an exceptional host. She is kind, interesting and very knowledgeable about the region. She shared a number of fascinating stories about the local culture which certainly added to the enjoyment of my trip. I would stay here again or recommend it to friends and family.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Asheville
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2011

Most of the rooms are little pre-fab cabins but they are spacious, clean, and nicely furnished. My only issue is the same one I have with ALL B & Bs: Way too much ceremony and stuff for breakfast. Just give me some coffee and corn flakes and let me get out. But maybe that's just me.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2011

We stayed in one of the cabins, an impeccably clean, comfortable and well-furnished abode with a full kitchenette/sitting room. It's only lacking a coffee table or something in the sitting room; there's not quite enough table space for an extended stay.
Karen's a fantastic proprietor. Calm, friendly, upfront and accomidating. And boyohboy, can she cook! Breakfasts are in the main house in a lovely room complete with a geriatric husky.
It's easy to get to-- really! pay close attention to her directions and forget your GPS until it's got the updated Trunk road re-alignment. and the addresses on Old Trunk road are reassigned.
It's up on a lateral moraine with a view across to Pioneer Peak and up to the Knik glacier. Fantastic!

Healy, Alaska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2011

I've been meaning to write this review a long time ago. Best hostess I've ever met, filling breakfast, absolutely beautiful grounds (love the wildflowers up to my chest and the apple trees are enchanting). The cabins are perfect but don't stay in a trailer room, of which there were two (but we booked too late and had no options). The trailers are old is all and I don't think reflect the quality of the rest of the B & B.

It is hard to find a decent place in AK. Most are dirty if not outdated, and expensive to boot. We are happy to find a place to return to during the AK state fair festivities.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Muttenz, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2011

We stayed at the main house. The room was clean and the bathroom was totally equipped. The price was reasonable.

We arrived at noon. Karen gave us several suggestions for this day. We visited Matanuska-Glacier that is reachable at a reasonable driving distance.

Karen made a very good breakfast and did a very good conversation.

We would recommend this B&B, for friends, too.

Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Urs and Doris, Switzerland

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Anchorage, Alaska
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2011

Delightful and very friendly host. Clean room which is an absolute must. Just a few minor complaints; I travel with my own shampoo and bath gels but I do expect hand soap to wash hands after visiting the bathroom, there was none until my husband relocated the dish washing detergent to the bathroom and we purchased soap for the following day. A pancake with a side bowl stuffed with gray steaming brown n serve sausage hot out of the microwave does not a breakfast make. The alternative I selected was from a bowl of yogurt with what I thought was fresh fruit until I bit down on a frozen blueberry right out of the freezer. Not sure where the wonderful breakfast was but we didn't see it. Skipped out early and headed straight to Ihop for some protein to prepare for a very physically active day the following morning. The "no locked doors" was something we found a bit odd but others may not. We are long time Alaska residents and understand the concept of "we're safe out here in the woods" in "theory" but I would like to be comfortable leaving a laptop or other personal items in a room. Not a fan of two unlocked doors to gain entry to the room I am renting (one via an outside entrance), this may just be our own personal idiosyncrasy. We are accustomed to removing shoes upon entry to a home here in Alaska as we do this in our own home but I thought it odd that we were greeted by the enormous, furry, husky family dog as we came upstairs to approach the breakfast table (barefooted to be respectful of the no shoes rule). Didn't really mind the dog being there but I would have worn my shoes to breakfast had I known and think it should be mentioned (if it was I didn't see it) in the advertisement that there is a family dog that might make some people feel uncomfortable. Did the dog remove his/her shoes ? All in all it was a comfortable bed, clean and served our purpose for the two nights we spent there. The host is very friendly and kind and this review should be taken as constructive criticism only.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank AKtravelers213
gardengatebnb, Owner at Alaska Garden Gate B & B, responded to this review, 7 July 2011
My apologizes to all the guests on this day--Breakfast did not quite go as planned! We'd like to invite these guests to come by another time for a really delicious breakfast to make up for it!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palmer
BEST WESTERN Lake Lucille Inn
Pioneer Ridge Bed and Breakfast Inn
Agate Inn, Inc.
Agate Inn, Inc.
#3 of 24 in Wasilla

Been to Alaska Garden Gate B & B? Share your experiences!