“A true misnomer: Bed - yes, Breakfast - really?” 1 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Alaska Garden Gate B & B
Ranked #3 of 12 Palmer B&B and Inns
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“A true misnomer: Bed – yes, Breakfast – really?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2013

Cute accommodations overlooking a busy four-lane highway. Clean and modern. Shamelessly misrepresented and overpriced. Breakfast consists of: omelet prepared afternoon before by host, wrapped in cling wrap and placed on a paper plate, NO COFFEE (but a coffee maker with filters is available for your use), two literally and visibly spoiled oranges, an envelope of instant oatmeal, an English muffin with portion of jam, and bottle of orange juice for each guest. All items placed in your mini-fridge.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank H H
gardengatebnb, Owner at Alaska Garden Gate B & B, responded to this review, 26 June 2013
I'm glad that you found your accommodations comfortable and clean. I apologize that there wasn't a full coffee can in your cottage--that was a mistake. I live in the main house, 30 yards away from the cottage you stayed in, so I'm available to help! I show every guest the sign above the coffee maker with our info, like the internet password and how to contact me. Guests can either walk over to our house to find me, or call or text! We try to make it easy, and we stress that if we've overlooked anything, we'd like to make it right. I specifically put a handwritten note in each cottage and apartment this year that says we're happy when people take the time to post a review on TripAdvisor, but please, if there's something that we can improve while you're staying, please ask us!

I strongly object to your saying that we are misrepresenting and that we are overpriced. We are not the cheapest, but for clean, modern and full amenities, we offer very good value compared to other lodging in our region. The breakfast you describe is exactly what we advertise and is more than an average "continental" breakfast. We prefer to offer a more full breakfast (in a basket in your own kitchen) so for those who want a protein, there are eggs that are easily reheated. Each day I bake quiches (Salmon Dill with our Copper River King salmon, or reindeer sausage, or Quiche Lorraine, or veggie, among them) or make omlettes which we cover and place in your breakfast basket in addition to choices like yogurt, oatmeal, fruit, juice and pastry. Selections change each day because many of our guests stay a week or more with us. I take pride in offering something different each day while they're here. Some days I bake fresh banana bread, wild cranberry bread or blueberry muffins, and other days it'll be English muffins or breads that are store-bought. Some days I mix in the store-bought items like Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwiches or boiled eggs so people who aren't 'into" quiche have something different. While it's a challenge to meet every need to be gluten free or dairy free or no eggs, we try to make sure there's something for everyone.

As the president of the B&B Association of Alaska, the chief complaint I see come to our association from visitors is "all I got for breakfast was a muffin and a juice." There are many fine B&Bs who still cook a hot, made to order breakfast in their house, but the majority of Alaska B&Bs now offer a type of continental breakfast. Those of us who strive for high standards try to make it much more than "a muffin and a juice." I am very open to guests' feedback and seek to keep current on breakfast trends.

I also strongly object to the one "dot" rating that this guest has given us. While guests may not realize how keenly important TripAdvisor reviews are to my small business and reputation, I can tell you that it has a very negative impact. I'm very sorry that this guest did not have coffee when he was ready to enjoy it, but a quick call to me could have remedied that! One "dot" puts us in the same category as the icky places with curly hairs on the toilet, drug deals in the room next door, and bar fights downstairs. That is not at all what we offer our valued guests. We hope future guests will give us the opportunity to share our little cottages and stunning mountain and glacier views with them. --Karen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Chattanooga, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2013

We stayed in the Birch Hideaway Apartment. The apartment is nicely decorated and the grounds were well landscaped. The bed was comfortable and the many windows and heater/fireplace allowed us to adequately vary the temperature. The kitchenette was stocked with all needed pots, dishes, and utensils. Breakfast was conveniently provided in the small refrigerator. It was a typical continental breakfast with omelet.

The apartment is one-half of a mobile home trailer. The exterior has sliding and front porches to dress it up, but the walls are very thin, and we could hear the neighbors' normal activity (they weren't being loud or obnoxious).

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for leaving a review! We appreciate you sharing about your stay with future guests. The Birch Retreat apartment that you had is one of our economy choices. We strive to make it the most comfortable we can, but you're right, it's an older building, so it's not insulated for noise as well as our new cottages. I don't know why I hadn't thought of this previously, but we will add a white noise machine in Birch's bedroom, as an extra help for cancelling out any sounds. --Karen
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

I really enjoyed by stay at Alaska Garden Gate B&B near Palmer. It was the perfect location for our day trips. The suite we had was clean and quiet and a pretty good price. I'm planning to stay there again when I go to Palmer this fall.

Room Tip: I would try one of the cabins. They offer a bit more privacy. We stayed in the main B&B which w...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Prague, Czech Republic
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2012

I was only 4 nights here and had the bad luck that it was a bit windy outside but this place is so beautiful and peaceful you wish that you could stay forever.
So I had the Luxury Cottage with the Jacuzzi and it was really awesome here you have your own little home with kitchen and a nice view, and the hostess is really friendly.
The next town Palmer is just 3 miles away so you can go for dinner out there or cook yourself just something.It takes by foot approx. 2 hours from there to palmer so if you have a bike or even better a car than use that. The Host Karen was really friendly and helpful and is bringing evryday day fresh breakfast. Of course you have here also coffee (sugar and milkpowder) and Tea and more, you have in the Room also a folder and map with useful info as direction to restaurants and other activities here around, or you can ask Karen she knows evrything about the Area. So Iam really glad I made the way up here from Anchorage to the Garden Gate, Its a lovely place to stay and I would recommend it to evrybody, karen treats evrybody as a good friend and not as a customer so thumbs up for the Garden Gates from me.
100 % SATISFACTION is here guaranteed !!! looking forward to come here in summer again. Jana Krupka from Prague, Czech Republic

Room Tip: each cottage here is perfect cant really say whats better:P
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank JanaKrupka711
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2012

We stayed in one of the cottages that is only 3 years old and looks brand new. It was very comfortable, convenient and private. Our frig was stocked with breakfast food that was okay, but nothing special. Karen supplied us with very helpful information on our destination. I would highly recommend this facility.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dsaxtonCalifornia
Colgate, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2012

This B and B was really lovely. Our room was in the lower floor of the main house. It was very spacious, clean and beautifully decorated. We had a full size Jacuzzi tub in addition to a full bath. Karen was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Athens
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2012

Karen doesn't treat you like just another customer like the Big Hotel Chains do. She treats everyone like her family. She takes such good care of you!!! I give Karen and her Alaska Garden Gate B & B a thumbs up. It is clean, neat and her Breakfast was amazing. Karen home cooks it with love and great pride. 100 % SATISFACTION!!! We stayed July 1st through July 9th 2012. Karen loves her work and people and it shows in everything she does. I look forward to staying here again.
Bonnie Dvorak from Athens, Wisconsin.

Room Tip: They are all GREAT!!!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank farmgirl58
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palmer
BEST WESTERN Lake Lucille Inn
Pioneer Ridge Bed and Breakfast Inn
Agate Inn, Inc.
Agate Inn, Inc.
#3 of 24 in Wasilla

Been to Alaska Garden Gate B & B? Share your experiences!