“Can't wait to go back!”

Ranked #3 of 12 Palmer B&B and Inns
Phoenix, Arizona
“Can't wait to go back!”
Reviewed 13 August 2008

Elva and I stayed 4 nights at this bed and breakfast and totally enjoyed it. Our hostess, Karen, was friendly and very helpful giving directions, approximate travel time, etc. She was genuinely interested (and surprised!) to hear about all our activities during the day. The jacquzzi in our room was wonderful for getting the kinks out after hiking on the Matanuska Glacier. The dogs, Hunter and Little Girl, are lovely and very well-mannered. All the food was delicious and fresh. Two of the mornings we had full breakfasts. The other two we had fresh fruit, juice, and breakfast breads. This was because we had to leave very early our first morning and Karen had an appointment that required her to leave early the day we checked out. When we arrived late the first night , after 10:00, there was a welcoming note telling us how to find our room, so we didn't have to worry about ringing the doorbell and disturbing anyone. We stayed in the Forget Me Not room (main floor with queen bed/twin bed) and loved it even though the moose didn't visit while we were there. This was our first bed and breakfast adventure and we're already dreaming about going back!

• Liked — beautiful furnishings, friendliness, delicious breakfasts, secluded/woodsy setting
  • Disliked — only the mosquitos!
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Albany/NY
Reviewed 16 July 2008

We have stayed at a number of B&B's in Alaska over the past few weeks, and this one did not stack up on top of our list. Here is our take:

Accomodations (room quality, cleanliness) are probably as good as it gets in Alaska, all at reasonable prices. And no, this is not a joke, although I rated this property as not too nice. The view is wonderful, the property is very nice, well maintained and landscaped (which is quite unique for Alaska). BTW, don't trust your GPS, it will take you 1 mile too far, use your eyes to locate the B&B. This is the upshot, which might be more than sufficient for quite a few travelers.

On the downside, however, we kind of felt like in a prison. Yes, we knew upfront that that B&B was not to be used 1-4pm, but in the end this turned out to be quite inconvenient. We were out 19 hours a day, but we really felt like we needed a nap at one point, and had to go get a coffee instead. Hey, I'm on vacation, and I really feel like I should be able to treat myself with a nap whenever I feel like it. There are instuctions all over the place in the B&B with respect to what is not allowed, what is allowed, when it is allowed, and how it is to be done. Instructions on how to flush a (regular) toilet, anyone? You'll find them posted in your bathroom. Kitchen is off limits (not nice!), and if you, by any chance, due to jet lag or the insanely long Alaskan summer days, would like breaksfast outside the 7.30-9.30am "regular" breakfast hours-- bad idea. BTW, to be fair, when we ended up getting the breakfast at the alloted time, it was a very good homecooked meal. Now, I am sure that the host had her issues with past guests, which led her to posting all kinds of instructions all over the place, but this really gives the place a institutionalized feeling ;)

There was one additional thing that we clearly dissliked. The rooms in this B&B tend to be grouped together, and are not soundproofed. Bad luck if your neighbor snores a storm, you spend the whole night watching the water in your glass tremble and shake. What is one to do-- knock at the door of your host, or knock at the door of your neighbor asking him to stay awake the whole night? Neither seemed like a reasonable choice, so we ended up losing our own sleep. Now, I don't think that any of the B&B's has soundproofed walls (as hotels do), but some of them have their rooms quite spread apart, so guests don't bother each other involuntarily.

So.. take your pick, in a sense, this B&B is a very good value for the money, but I would never go back to it.

• Liked — cleanliness, new and cared for place
  • Disliked — insane number of house rules and instructions
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank traveler_for_fun_9
gardengatebnb, Owner at Alaska Garden Gate B & B, responded to this review, 25 March 2010
For 2010 we're happy to announce that now guests are welcome to be at our B&B and Cottages 24/7, no "closed" periods during the day! We are available for service from 7-11 a.m. and from 4-10 p.m., but guests can feel free to relax around the B&B at any time. We have heard from TripAdvisor reviews that this was important to you, so we have modified our living quarters so the B&B is always available to you.
Wauconda, Illinois
Reviewed 8 July 2008

This was a great place to use as ground base for our explorations around the Mat-Su Valley. Karen is a delightful hostess, and she truly opens her home up to you. The rooms are very large and bright (particularly in the summer when the sun doesn't set until after midnight!) It is quite busy for a B&B, but we found the conversations with the other guests to be wonderful. Karen puts together the most spendid breakfasts, with a wide variety including all home made pastries, spreads, and dishes. Our personal favorite was her rhubarb sauce, which neither of us are usually fans of. The house is located on a large wooded lot, which overlooks the Chugach mountains. Its location is convenient to the towns of Palmer and Wasilla which include several restaurants and services. As mentioned on other reviews, make sure to take advantage of her directions-it can be a little tricky otherwise.

• Liked — Karen's warm reception
  • Disliked — A little noisy in the morning with several rooms
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
Leeds, UK
Reviewed 4 July 2008

This is a really really nice place! I stayed at the Alaska Garden Gate B&B for 2 days in late June 2008; I paid around $80 for my room (the cheapest room there), and was amazed at how nice the B&B was!

Karen - the owner - greeted me as I entered, and showed me around the B&B. The living room is huge and has an amazing view of the mountains and glacier, and features a computer with internet connection (if you're travelling without a laptop - there is free wireless internet if you have one), TV, and a couple of sofas. My room was big, spacious and clean. As I was in the cheapest room, I had to share the downstairs bathroom with another occupant, but this wasn't an issue at all, and the bathroom was clean and really nice. Other rooms have en-suite facilities and looked fantastic from what I could see when a door was left open!

There are two dogs who live on the property; they were really friendly, and didn't get in the way at all. In fact, they really added to the "family" atmosphere of the place. Karen was a wonderful host, and as I told her, she runs an amazing, clean and friendly B&B. The prices are fantastic for Alaska, too!

The only downside is that you're not allowed in the B&B between 11am and 4pm for host privacy and cleaning, which is perfectly understandable (it's Karen's house, after all!) and besides - if you're on holiday in Alaska, you really shouldn't be inside during those hours anyway :-)

I stayed in the Hilton in Anchorage for five days prior to my stay here, and I can honestly say I enjoyed myself in this B&B far more. It's lovely, quiet, and safe, and amazing value for money!

• Liked — Clean, friendly, quiet, and great value!
  • Disliked — Nothing much!
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled solo
New Jersey
Reviewed 2 July 2008

Just came back from 2 weeks vacation in Alaska, where we initially spent 2 nights in Palmer before heading up for Denali and then stayed one more night after visiting Denali. Me and my wife travel a lot and often stay at B&Bs. Before I book any place I do a lot of research, so by selecting Alaska Garden Gate I kind of expected to be a nice place, AND IT REALLY WAS!. As you walked into the living room, you are blown by the gorgeous view of the mountains through the huge 3-section bay window. The tallest mountain in the area – Matanuska Peak seats in front of you to admire. Grounds are very large and pretty, but we didn’t have a chance to hike the trail. Rooms are very nicely furnished and Karen keeps them very clean. There are two dogs in the house now, but I was surprised to read one of the reviews were reviewer mentioned there were a lot of dog hairs around. We didn’t see any of this as everything was vacuumed before we were coming in the evening. Breakfast was very good and different every morning for 3 nights we stayed there. Coming second time, after Denali, felt like visiting old friends. To find the house, use Karen’s directions posted on the site. We relied on GPS which missed the house by over a mile and brought us to the empty lot. Karen’s location in Palmer is very convenient: you are within 5-7 minutes of downtown, Parks and Glen Highways’. You won’t be disappointed by staying at this lovely B&B.

• Liked — Relaxing evenings in the living room with gorgeous views
  • Disliked — None
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
Whitewater
Reviewed 14 December 2007

Such nice attention to details, and everything we wanted was right at hand for amenities and thoughtful little things. The wireless internet was helpful--we had our computer so could catch up on e-mails right in our suite, but the PC in the living room was used by other guests too. Breakfast was the highlight for us, as well as talking to the hostess, who was so nice. It was easy to get to, and such a nice property.

• Liked — Decor was very nice and tasteful, not overwhelming
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled solo
Minnesota
Reviewed 9 November 2007

My wife wanted to stay at B&Bs when we went to Alaska. I wasn't too excited about that because I thought it would be easier to stay at hotels with our two kids. This turned out to be a good place.
Our boys loved the dog—just like in the movie Snow Dogs! And there was a big lawn and woods for them to run around and burn off steam. One morning we saw a moose during breakfast and the boys talked about it for days afterward. I liked the food -- I’d never had riendeer sausage or birch syrup—it was good on waffles. We met some new friends there, too.

• Liked — relaxed, good wildlife, not stuck up
  • Disliked — would have liked to stay longer
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank Robdocred
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palmer
Best Western Lake Lucille Inn
Pioneer Ridge Bed and Breakfast Inn
Agate Inn, Inc.
Agate Inn, Inc.
#3 of 25 in Wasilla

Been to Alaska Garden Gate B & B? Share your experiences!