Alaska Garden Gate B & B
Alaska's Select Inn Hotel(Wasilla)(Great Value!)
US$84
US$105
TripAdvisor
Best Western Lake Lucille Inn(Wasilla)(Great Value!)
US$108
Valley Hotel(Palmer)
Average 3/5
  • Restaurant
Great 4.5/5
All reviewsb bthe ownerliving roomknik glacierbig bathroombath towelsjust like homenice cottageslovely breakfastmidnight sunthe location is perfectdefinitely recommend this placespectacular viewseach morningkitchen facilitiesenjoyed our staygreat place to stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 July 2010

Our family had mixed feelings when it came to the Garden Gate. There were some really good things, and there were some things we really wish would have been different. First of all, the location truly was fantastic - outside the B&B was lush, green, and beautiful. No one was home when we arrived, but a letter had been left out directing us to our room which was clean and not too cramped. As a previous reviewer mentioned, there were a lot of rules. Still, I can't blame the owners too much for this considering we were random visitors staying in their house.

We stayed in the family room downstairs, but had our bathroom located down the hall. This was a bit inconvenient, but was made worse by the fact that our bathroom also functioned as one of the owner's bathrooms and laundry room. We kept having to haul our stuff back and forth or wait to go while a batch of clothes was loaded.

Our room itself, as I said before, was good. We came in absolutely exhausted though, and were kept up by some noisy neighbors through thin walls which was very frustrating. The breakfast likewise was disappointing. We decided to sleep late and sign up for the 9:30 time which was a big mistake. Our waffles clearly had been made during the breakfast slot several hours before then thrown in the microwave with our sausage to be served to us. As a result they had the consistency of concrete.

Our hostess was very nice, friendly, and welcoming - don't get me wrong - but I wish she'd taken the few extra minutes required to make us some fresh breakfast.

In the same sense, the great parts of our stay were diminished by the disappointing ones, leaving us with a rating of just average.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
gardengatebnb, Owner at Alaska Garden Gate B & B, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2010

I apologize that breakfast wasn't as delicious as they would have liked! The waffles are always fresh for each setting--I wish they would have mentioned that they'd like a different one so I could make more for them. On the sausages, I agree. I was trying a new turkey sausage in hopes of going lower-fat, but they were tough. Sorry. As to the noise from the next room, I'm not sure why they didn't use the white noise machines I provide for each room. The waterfall, waves or summer-night sounds are very soothing and effective. Or they could certainly come get me to ask me to quiet down the neighbors, too! I ask for everyone to keep it down between 10 p.m. and 7 a.m. to make a conduisive sleeping environment, since it can be so hard to sleep with sunshine outside all night. Unfortunately, their bathroom is the one out of 13 bathrooms which is across the hall from the bedroom. The twelve other bathrooms are en-suite, in a guest's private area. The one they had is the "economy" choice, priced $30-50 less per night than my other options. For those who don't mind us popping in to that bathroom to do laundry during the daytime, this can be a less expensive way to get the same fantastic views and grounds. For those who prefer more privacy, our other 12 rooms and cottages are the way to go for personal space and luxury amenities.

Reviewed 1 July 2010

This is a very clean and comfortable place. Nice view of a glacier. The only thing is that Karen makes you walk in your socks (no shoes allowed inside) and then your socks will get all the lose hair from the dog.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 September 2009

We stayed two nights at Karen's Alaska Garden Gate B&B. The room was large and tastefully decorated. Karen's breakfasts were delightful. She is a gracious and helpful hostess. Although we did not see any wildlife, other guests have reported seeing moose. We have stayed at many B&Bs and would rate this as one of the best!
Linda & Jay

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 June 2009

Was it the homemade gooey cinnamon rolls or the views that was the best? And my husband's a big guy, so it was great this wasn't a fussy place--nice leather sofas in the huge living room where we just sat and watched the mountains (who knew the view changed so much--it was like a movie outside), and the king bed and big bathroom was great for him. I of course loved seeing what we were going to have for breakfast each day! Wish we could have stayed longer--it would have been a great place be our central "home." And we saw the moose!!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 June 2009

awesome B&B !! Karen is the hostest from heaven, addressing your every need! We stayed in the "Forest Haven Guest Apartment". We had a HUGE Jacuzzi tub, COMFRONTABLE king bed, fireplace, small kitchen with fridge, oven, micro, coffee maker. Karen likes to have the main house empty for cleaning but we found that not to be an issue at all. We came and went as we pleased, we just headed to our room. The B&B is on 10 acres so there is a lot of room and space on the lot. It is very quite and the views are magnificent. Anchorage is only 35 minutes away we timed it. If you are coming from Anchorage, the B&B is BEFORE the church, if you see the church, you have gone too far. I have uploaded some photos of our stay.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple