Alaska Fishing Lodge - Wilderness Place Lodge
Talkeetna Cabins(Talkeetna)
No availability for your dates from our partners
Talkeetna Chalet(Talkeetna)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsfloat planefishbucket list tripstar qualitylake creeksilver salmonthe entire staffan adventureother guestslonger staycomforts of homenoahkingssilversflygearspecies
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 July 2013

son and father trip from the UK to Alaska..halfway round the World and every mile travelled was worth it for this experience.
EVERY member of staff was superb..the fishing outstanding and the food to die for.
This is not about fishing this is about "living a dream"

should have done this when I was much younger ....such an honour to have expoerienced this magical place and people.

Room Tip: no need... they are all incredible lodge based accomodation. Jason and Noah ensure this is a magnificent venue ...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank baskervillesmith
Reviewed 22 June 2013

From the moment we stepped off the float plane our wonderful adventure began. Our personal guide for the week, Bryce, met us with a huge welcoming smile, the reception at the lodge by the manager Noah made us feel right at home and the rest of the staff, Liz and the "guys", reminded us all the time that they were there to make our stay the best ever. (and they did!). The food was better than a five star restaurant, so good we couldn't help but over eat. The fishing with Bryce was Amazing, trout, kings, pike never a shortage of things to do or in the case of my husband and Bryce, fish stories to tell. We are already planning to go back to WPL next year.

Dee and Pete

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Dee R
alaskafishing, Owner at Alaska Fishing Lodge - Wilderness Place Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2013

Dee & Pete. Thanks for your feedback! It was truly a pleasure having you both stay with us this June. Really, I feel that it's the people that makes the experience here: establishing relationships, making memories and swapping fish stories. We have this good fortune of gathering great personalities in our special Wilderness Place, both staff and guests. That in addition to the fishing, the great weather, food, etc. made for a truly special week. We're so glad you could be a part of it. Keep in touch and have a great rest of your summer!

-Jason

Reviewed 24 August 2012

Wilderness Place Lodge run a six night seven day rafting trip which is fantastic in every way.The two guides,Shawna and Scott are capable and caring.The meals cooked by Shawna were of Cordon Bleu standard as were her sushi and sushimi.An excellent guide,oarsman and fisherman.Scott is also a master of all things from cooking breakfast to improving ones fly fishing technique.Never have I caught so many fish.I had difficulty in squatting so after a little thought Scott built a 'loo' each night!! At the Lodge everyone was very friendly and helpful.Included in the cost was a night in a hotel in Anchorage,floatplane to and from the lodge and gourmet meals.Excellent guides also at the lodge,stayed two nights.They do your washing after the rafting trip.What an experience. I have re-booked for 2013

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank rally30
Reviewed 7 August 2012

I took my 11 year old daughter up for a weeks Salmon Fishing and after browsing online, chose Wilderness Place lodge as our destination. Its always a lottery picking a lodge online but this is one lottery I won! The lodge is reached via a short floatplane ride from Anchorage which lands on the Yentna river and is already an adventure in itself. Its clear early on that this lodge is by far the best kept and equipped of those in that area (and there are several). The cabins were comfortable and frankly given that we were in the middle of nowhere, and all power is supplied by a generator, I was pleasantly suprised by the running hot water and all the other amenities. The lodge itself is a cosy, clean and friendly place. Wilderness Place Lodge caters to about 15 guests at any given time so the atmosphere is intimate and everyone gets to know everyone else. We all share a common interest so conversation is not hard to find. Among the amenities at the lodge is a fly tying table where we all tried our hand at creating that killer pattern which the Salmon would be unable to resist, this kept my daughter occupied for hours! Any suspicion that we would be roughing it a little as far as food was concerned was quickly dispelled by the serving of a meal I would have been happy to open my wallet for in any restaurant n New York. The food was imaginative, tasty and beautifully served. I was amazed that it was actually possible to turn out that kind of quality with restricted facilities. If you go there forget the idea that you are going to diet!!
The fishing is accessed by boat but you have the option to boat fish or get out and wade the river in many places. Wilderness place Lodge puts a Fishing guide together with each fishing party and whilst this adds some cost, it is more than repaid by both having someone who knows the area take you to the best places to fish, someone to encourage you when you need a boost or show you the best technique for that area/species and also a man friday to gut, clean and bag your fish at the end of a long day. Our guide, Nick, though not a man of many words, was clearly knowldegable, unfailingly helpful and patient helping my daughter Emma to get the most out of her first fishing trip. Wilderness place lodge is a place for sportsmen and the ethics of the sport are part of their creed here which I personally appreciated if you are in to factory fishing this is probably not the place for you. Its probably also worth mentioning that all fishing equipment is provided and its good quality stuff.
So much for the facts and stats. but what really sets Wilderness Place Lodge apart are the people. All of the other guests I spoke to agreed that we felt immediately at home there. The staff are genuine, friendly, true enthsiasts and great characters. They all went out of their way to help but without fussing and fawning. They come from many places and walks of life and are never short of an anecdote. If you want to talk fishing, just corner Noah for an hour and you'll be fine!
There is no greater truth in life than you get what you pay for. At Wilderness place lodge you get it in spades. Everything about their operation is just right and the number of repeat customers they get is a fair testament to that. Would I recommend Wilderness Place lodge to you?..... Unhesitatingly. Will I be going back?... absolutely

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank Philip H
Reviewed 1 August 2012

This lodge is fairly accessible for Alaska. It is about a 45 minute flight on a float plane from Anchorage. The fishing is really hard to believe. At times I caught a fish on every cast for more than 10 casts in a row. The cabins are quite nice and the staff is friendly. The guides are absolutely the best! This is a wilderness experience, but they still have nice food. I think people visit for the fishing and it really is second to none.

Room Tip: Get the cabin on the river if you can. It is truly about 10 feet from the river.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family