All reviewsrainbow troutfloat planefishstar qualitycomfort foodprepared mealssilver salmonthe entire staffbucket listan adventurelonger staynoahsilverskingsflygearriver
Reviewed 23 June 2017

He comes for the fish. I come for the food. No, not the food, the nourishment. The dinners are excellent. Derek crafts wonderful menus. He's a chef, not a cook, as Mom would say. Yes, I come to be spoiled.

Our adventure began as our floatplane soared into the wilderness, passing over remote homesteads dotting the tundra. Soon the floats settle into the chocolate Yetna. At the lodge we exchanged hugs with old friends: Derek, Jason, Noah (the heart of the enterprise). We met new staff. “What can I get you? Is there anything you need?” Drinks appear, food is served, the everyday worries dim as we settled in.

Yesterday we arose early and Cody, our attentive young guide, escorted us to Lake Creek—crystal waters tumbling swiftly over smooth stones. We tossed colorful yarn and shining beads into the pools. Cody patiently replaced numerous rigs lost to greedy trees. After a day on the river we returned to our cabin. Refreshed by a warm shower, we wander to the lodge. There we dined, swapped tails, and toasted our successes over bottomless glasses of wine and beer.

Tomorrow we will trek back to the river. Stunning views and local wildlife are guaranteed. Hopefully one or two salmon will interrupt our musings. But, if not, we will not care.

Room Tip: Cabins come with comfortable beds, warm showers, and electricity. Luxurious accommodation for the Alaskan wilderness
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 March 2017

Great location , with super friendly staff. Accommodation was nice , with a family friendly lodge. Fun meeting people from all over the world , who came to fish for Silver Salmon. We arrived at the peak of the season , however the region experienced the worst rainfall in 20 years resulting in discoloured water and very poor fishing conditions. Mid range price . Food was great and did not go hungry. Great location and access to some of the best fishing in Alaska. Alaska is still on my bucket list and will be returning again this year.

Stayed: August 2016
2  Thank ejs1960
Reviewed 6 October 2016

3 Best Friends celebrating life after life threatening illnesses; could not have fulfilled our dreams without the two best guides in Alaska from Alaska Fishing Lodge -Wilderness Place Lodge. Scotty and Shawna fulfilled a trip of a life time; with the best fishing experience one could ask for in the Alaskan wilderness. Talking about eating like King's; Shawna is a gourmet cook and you can't believe what she cooks up on the river. Both Shawna and Scotty brought a different perspective to fly/spey fishing that gave us three guys a great learning experience; even for seasoned fisherman. Netting King Salmon is more than just putting a net in the water; if I had to chose a guide that gives you solid confidence in netting your fish, it is Scotty. Both Scotty and Shawna go above and beyond to provide you with an unbelieveable fishing excursion. We caught more fish than each of us expected; with great diversity in catching Greyling, Rainbows and King Salmon. I am an avid fisherman and had the best experience ever. Scottie's and Shawna's expertise gave us a great experience in learning how to Spey fish (larger fly poles). Once we learned how to Spey fish none of us went back to the regular size fly pole from shore. Both Shawna and Scottie put us in premium water when floating the river. Enjoyed it so much I booked for my son, brother and brother-inlaw to go back and float the Lake Creek River with Scottie and Shawna again.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Michael B
Reviewed 7 August 2016

Our holiday in Wilderness Place Lodge was spectacular. Atmosphere, hospitality, guide and fishing was amazing. Jason and back of house staff created a home away from home feeling. Dereck and his team created fantastic meals, particularly freshly caught wild Alaskan King salmon. Our two nights stay in Solitude island was unforgettable.
Thank you and see you again.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 July 2016

Before you read this post, I would like to mention that I'm a guide part time in Boone, NC and a student at Appalachian State. As I sit here looking back on my stay here at WPL, I can't even think of the proper way to go about describing my trip. I don't think a single word can better sum up the staff, lodge and fishing here other than perfect. When I first arrived here, I was overwhelmed with how personable and friendly the staff were. The guides knew their stuff, the food was 5 stars, and the beds felt like fluffy marshmallows after a long day of wading. This was my first time in Alaska celebrating my 21st birthday and I was literally brought to tears the day we had to leave. We caught over 36 fish in a day and a half. Sure, the place is not cheap, but for what it has to offer I don't think you can put a price tag on it. My father and I became closer, I made new friends from all over the world, and have memories and pictures that will last me a lifetime. I hope one day in the future I can come back here again. Wouldn't recommend a different place!

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family