All reviewsrainbow troutfloat planefishstar qualitycomfort foodprepared mealssilver salmonthe entire staffbucket listan adventurelonger staynoahsilverskingsflygearriver
Reviewed 10 August 2017

Float plane, fishing and food; all the components of a memorable vacation. Awesome staff, fishing guides who take you wherever you want and even prepare shore side lunches. What more could you ask for. The lodge staff was so accomodating to our wishes, the food was delicious, the desserts over the top. When I mentioned I liked oatmeal raisin cookies the pastry chef made some. I would recommend Wilderness Place Lodge to anyone looking for first class memories.

Room Tip: Ask for a cabin with a wood burning stove
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank krquilts
Reviewed 6 July 2017

My wife and I made our first trip to Alaska for our 20th wedding anniversary and it was truly a remarkable experience. We wanted a fly in fishing experience, but didn’t want the hassle of traveling with all of our own equipment so we opted for an all-inclusive package from a fishing lodge. After months of internet research and obtaining information from family and friends, we chose Wilderness Place Lodge for our long awaited fishing trip and we feel very lucky to have done so because we had a blast! The beautiful scenery, warm accommodations, excellent fishing, professional staff and superb food made memories that will last a lifetime.
The flight from Anchorage to the lodge was truly amazing and after arriving at the lodge for a cold beer and a great lunch we were shown to our cozy little cabin that had all the comforts of home. We found our waders and boots awaiting us there. Soon after, our guide arrived with our poles and tackle and we were out fishing in no time. We landed our first king of the trip that afternoon. That one was followed by many more in the subsequent days. Fly fishing for kings is crazy fun! Hooking up was the easy part because landing a fresh, chrome king in a small, fast moving river is a chaotic challenge. After my wife watched my first hook up with a fly rod she decided to switch to a spinning rod and in terms of numbers she definitely landed far more fish. I didn't accomplish my goal of landing a king over 40 lbs, but I did get a respectable guy in the low 30s. We also caught dozens of rainbows on mouse patterns, which was incredibly entertaining. In addition, we fished the pike lakes one day and caught more than we cared to count. Nothing big, but they were everywhere and tons of fun on a 6 wt. We landed 10 pike in the first 45 minutes and then quit counting. Our guide Wes was simply awesome! He made sure we caught all the species of fish that we came to catch and plenty of them, including the big kings on our anniversary. However, we observed many of the other fishing guides at Wilderness Place Lodge and all of them were friendly, knowledgeable, professional, hard-working, and extremely patient.
The food at the lodge was out of this world. The chefs (Derrick and Elizabeth) are truly talented and extremely friendly. The meals at the lodge were every bit as good those we were served at highly acclaimed Anchorage restaurants the day before. In fact, every meal we had at Wilderness Place Lodge was wonderful in every aspect, from the taste and presentation of the food, to the excellent company. At first we were a little apprehensive about dinning with strangers every night, but in the relaxed atmosphere of the lodge, new friendships grow quickly. After the first night the other guests seemed like a group of old friends and after four nights they were like family! I’m not a very emotional guy, so I’m assuming the float plane must have blown sand in my eyes as it approached the river bank to take us back to Anchorage because they were a little misty when I realized the inevitable had come and our trip was over.
Overall, this is the best fishing trip my wife and I have ever had. We are definitely going back to Wilderness Place Lodge as the fishing is great, the service is awesome and the prices are extremely reasonable when you consider everything that’s provided in the all-inclusive packages. We have never been more enthusiastic about providing a positive recommendation for a business than we are now in recommending Wilderness Place Lodge. If you looking for a great Alaska fishing trip give them a try, you won’t be disappointed!
Mike and Shannon Gilbert
Dillon, MT

Reviewed 29 June 2017

The Wilderness Place Lodge exceeded all expectations. Cabins were clean & comfortable, food was great, equipment was comfortable & in good repair. Max, our guide, was awesome! We met the nicest people. 5 Stars!

Room Tip: All rooms (Cabins) are great!
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 June 2017

We couldn't have been happier with our amazing, albeit brief, stay at Wilderness Place Lodge. The staff was courteous, the location was wonderful, the food was delicious and the fishing was so much fun! The guides were so helpful and kind. I just love the cozy and comfortable feel of the whole property. We enjoyed our stay tremendously and definitely plan to return again one day for a much longer stay. Just go!

Room Tip: Book early and stay a while! It's definitely wilderness, so prepare for a rustic, peaceful and comfortable atmosphere.
Reviewed 23 June 2017

He comes for the fish. I come for the food. No, not the food, the nourishment. The dinners are excellent. Derek crafts wonderful menus. He's a chef, not a cook, as Mom would say. Yes, I come to be spoiled.

Our adventure began as our floatplane soared into the wilderness, passing over remote homesteads dotting the tundra. Soon the floats settle into the chocolate Yetna. At the lodge we exchanged hugs with old friends: Derek, Jason, Noah (the heart of the enterprise). We met new staff. “What can I get you? Is there anything you need?” Drinks appear, food is served, the everyday worries dim as we settled in.

Yesterday we arose early and Cody, our attentive young guide, escorted us to Lake Creek—crystal waters tumbling swiftly over smooth stones. We tossed colorful yarn and shining beads into the pools. Cody patiently replaced numerous rigs lost to greedy trees. After a day on the river we returned to our cabin. Refreshed by a warm shower, we wander to the lodge. There we dined, swapped tails, and toasted our successes over bottomless glasses of wine and beer.

Tomorrow we will trek back to the river. Stunning views and local wildlife are guaranteed. Hopefully one or two salmon will interrupt our musings. But, if not, we will not care.

Room Tip: Cabins come with comfortable beds, warm showers, and electricity. Luxurious accommodation for the Alaskan wilderness