All reviewsrainbow troutfloat planefishstar qualitycomfort foodprepared mealssilver salmonthe entire staffbucket listan adventurelonger staynoahsilverskingsflygearriver
Reviewed 14 August 2017 via mobile

Took my life long friend to Alaska for a fishing adventure. Found WPL through TripAdvisor and once again was not disappointed. The whole experience was great. We met people from all over the world that were there. Our guide Max went out of his way to make sure we were on the fish. He loved nothing more than seeing us hook up. The float plane service which is included is an adventure in it's self. Taking off and landing on the water is smoother than a commercial flight. Max met us at the plane and told us what ever we needed he would take care of. That attitude extended to the entire staff as well. They are all very friendly to talk to. The food was really good as well. Having a great dinner after a hard day of fishing just puts the icing on the cake. One day they cooked a hot shore lunch for us. What a treat. I already want to go back!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 August 2017

This is the destination for your fishing trip to Alaska. Every detail is managed perfectly. Your flights to and from the lodge, the accommodations, the meals, the expert guide staff all work together to provide a seamless experience.
If you like to fish, do not hesitate to contact the Wilderness Place Lodge.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 August 2017

Float plane, fishing and food; all the components of a memorable vacation. Awesome staff, fishing guides who take you wherever you want and even prepare shore side lunches. What more could you ask for. The lodge staff was so accomodating to our wishes, the food was delicious, the desserts over the top. When I mentioned I liked oatmeal raisin cookies the pastry chef made some. I would recommend Wilderness Place Lodge to anyone looking for first class memories.

Room Tip: Ask for a cabin with a wood burning stove
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank krquilts
Reviewed 6 July 2017

My wife and I made our first trip to Alaska for our 20th wedding anniversary and it was truly a remarkable experience. We wanted a fly in fishing experience, but didn’t want the hassle of traveling with all of our own equipment so we opted for an all-inclusive package from a fishing lodge. After months of internet research and obtaining information from family and friends, we chose Wilderness Place Lodge for our long awaited fishing trip and we feel very lucky to have done so because we had a blast! The beautiful scenery, warm accommodations, excellent fishing, professional staff and superb food made memories that will last a lifetime.
The flight from Anchorage to the lodge was truly amazing and after arriving at the lodge for a cold beer and a great lunch we were shown to our cozy little cabin that had all the comforts of home. We found our waders and boots awaiting us there. Soon after, our guide arrived with our poles and tackle and we were out fishing in no time. We landed our first king of the trip that afternoon. That one was followed by many more in the subsequent days. Fly fishing for kings is crazy fun! Hooking up was the easy part because landing a fresh, chrome king in a small, fast moving river is a chaotic challenge. After my wife watched my first hook up with a fly rod she decided to switch to a spinning rod and in terms of numbers she definitely landed far more fish. I didn't accomplish my goal of landing a king over 40 lbs, but I did get a respectable guy in the low 30s. We also caught dozens of rainbows on mouse patterns, which was incredibly entertaining. In addition, we fished the pike lakes one day and caught more than we cared to count. Nothing big, but they were everywhere and tons of fun on a 6 wt. We landed 10 pike in the first 45 minutes and then quit counting. Our guide Wes was simply awesome! He made sure we caught all the species of fish that we came to catch and plenty of them, including the big kings on our anniversary. However, we observed many of the other fishing guides at Wilderness Place Lodge and all of them were friendly, knowledgeable, professional, hard-working, and extremely patient.
The food at the lodge was out of this world. The chefs (Derrick and Elizabeth) are truly talented and extremely friendly. The meals at the lodge were every bit as good those we were served at highly acclaimed Anchorage restaurants the day before. In fact, every meal we had at Wilderness Place Lodge was wonderful in every aspect, from the taste and presentation of the food, to the excellent company. At first we were a little apprehensive about dinning with strangers every night, but in the relaxed atmosphere of the lodge, new friendships grow quickly. After the first night the other guests seemed like a group of old friends and after four nights they were like family! I’m not a very emotional guy, so I’m assuming the float plane must have blown sand in my eyes as it approached the river bank to take us back to Anchorage because they were a little misty when I realized the inevitable had come and our trip was over.
Overall, this is the best fishing trip my wife and I have ever had. We are definitely going back to Wilderness Place Lodge as the fishing is great, the service is awesome and the prices are extremely reasonable when you consider everything that’s provided in the all-inclusive packages. We have never been more enthusiastic about providing a positive recommendation for a business than we are now in recommending Wilderness Place Lodge. If you looking for a great Alaska fishing trip give them a try, you won’t be disappointed!
Mike and Shannon Gilbert
Dillon, MT

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 June 2017

The Wilderness Place Lodge exceeded all expectations. Cabins were clean & comfortable, food was great, equipment was comfortable & in good repair. Max, our guide, was awesome! We met the nicest people. 5 Stars!

Room Tip: All rooms (Cabins) are great!
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family