Alaska Fishing Lodge - Wilderness Place Lodge
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Skwentna
See available hotels
Talkeetna Motel(Talkeetna)
  • Bar/Lounge
Talkeetna Cabins(Talkeetna)
View Hotel
All reviewsfloat planefishbucket list tripstar qualitylake creeksilver salmonthe entire staffan adventureother guestslonger staycomforts of homenoahkingssilversflygearspecies
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 January 2011

Had a great time and Wilderness Place Lodge was everything we hoped it would be. The food was fabulous! Jason and his crew were friendly and helpful. Great fishing too. We will return in 2012!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank GeeandVee
Reviewed 20 January 2011

Didi it again! 10 Days at The Wilderness Place Lodge and got there just as the sockeye salmons were about to make their push into the creek......Had to take Advil after three hours on the creek after catching so many darned big fish!
We were calling it "sockeye psychosis"!LOL.
Another year of Salmon Grand Slams, catching and releasing all five species of salmon (the King was hooked out of season, but released the very moment we realized what what we had on the line-but decided to count it towards the grand slam:) The guides are VERY diligent about following the AK fishing regulations!!!
The water was so thick at times with salmon that we were "cloud fishing" at times due to the thousands of fish running up the creek.
Lots of bears this year (but just nosing around) as well as pretty rough weather with rain seven out of the ten days but when the fishing is this great who cares?
Looking for memories with family and friends in a great lodge with great food and service? Look no further than here. Will definitely be back again-this time I think we will try the raft trip.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
4  Thank get5150
Reviewed 25 February 2010

My 12 year-old boy, my close buddy Jim and I have been to the lodge for several years running, the first three years during the King Salmon runs. After catching monster fish the first three years, we decided to go for the "Grand Slam" of all the salmon species-they all run in this creek. Everyday we caught 30-50 salmon, catching and releasing until we were sore, keeping only what we wanted to take home (within the laws limits). The guides are well schooled and very attentive to every need. Jed & Matt are awesome, helping my son really have great time. We are going back again this year (2010) this time for a 9 day stay- the time to go home always comes way to soon!!!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
3  Thank get5150
Reviewed 2 July 2009

I entered the "travel with" section as with friends...well that may be a bit misleading. I actually traveled with my 2 sons that certainly do not fit the "family with teenagers" category, they are both adults but they are also my BEST friends. We fish as often as possible together with annual fishing trips to upstate NY for the salmon runs. However as great as those trips may be they pale in comparison to our first trip together to Wilderness Place Lodge. I had the opportunity to travel to Wilderness Place in late July/early August in 2005. My mom actually told me to go because my father had always dreamed of going to AK but unfortunately never made it...he was a fireman that died in the line of duty at a very young 62 years of age. Yes, he was also my best friend! Upon arriving in Alaska I was, to put it simply, awe struck by its beauty and immenseness. I was fortunate to have a friend that lives in Anchorage that took me on an up close and personal trip around the wilderness surrounding Anchorage. Talk about a 2 day environmental overload.
On the 3rd day I arrived at Rust's Flying Service, my "taxi" to the lodge was tethered to a floating dock. Whatever wilderness overload that I had experienced to this point was instantly put into second place. A float plane taking off, flying over "God's County" and landing on another river was just about all that my emotions could handle. I just didn't know where to look first. Within moments jet prop john boats arrived seemingly out of nowhere to pick up me, other passenger fishermen and our gear. I thought that I had seen it all...WRONG! Enter Lake Creek River and proceed to Wilderness Place Lodge to meet Jason Rockvam and members of his staff...as well as my cabin mate. I was actually trembling to start fishing, and we soon did.
It took me a while to get down the "Sockeye Swing", but my first sockeye salmon was one of the biggest that my guide had seen that season. He was quite surprised when I looked skyward and said "Thanks Dad, would you have loved this place! " I gently unhooked the fish and released him into the gin-clear water. With tears on my cheeks I made a few more casts but these sockeye were not so lucky. They were fantastic on the grill.
After what I thought was the most spectacular experience of my life, I was packing to return to the smallest state (RI) in the union from the largest when it hit me...I AM NOT GOING TO MISS THIS WITH MY BOYS!!! It took a little while to organize funds to bring Seth and Matt, but Jason and Cory were more than accommodating and we booked early July 2007 for the king salmon run. However great my first trip was alone this one with my sons TOTALLY out-weighed anything that we have done together in their 30 and 24 years of fishing with Dad. Four days with my AK friend (whose husband just happens to be a bush pilot) and a week at Wilderness Place with my boys, Jason, the guides and other staff is so deeply imbedded in my thoughts that I think that on my deathbed these will be the best memories that I could possibly recall. If there was any way that I could remain at Wilderness for the entire fishing season I would jump at the opportunity. This beat up old body might not make a durable guide, but there sure would be plenty of flies and spinners ready for guests...LOL
All that being said, guess what...we're booked for this August with 6 more friends for the silver, pink and chum runs. Do you think I (we're) excited????
All my thanks to Jason, Cory and their outstanding guides, staff and chefs.. If it's the "experience of a life time" that you're looking for, look no further. Book some time at Wilderness Place Lodge. You will not regret or forget it.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with friends
3  Thank fishdoc01
Reviewed 2 June 2007

First and foremost, you go to the Wilderness Place Lodge for the fantastic fishing....some of the most delicious salmon and rainbow trout you will ever see, catch, and devour.

But every aspect of the experience comes together at the lodge. The individual little cabins are perfectly simple and well taken care of. The staff members (guides, cooks, owners, everyone) are all helpful, fun, and down-to-earth. And all the while, we ate like kings every morning and night at the lodge. This was a great way to take in Alaska and its superb fishing.

• Stayed: August 2003, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank jlutsey